Rodcast #1

rostasi

I saw this Chuck, as well as the "Coleman Hawkins on Demand" link and have been biting my tongue.

Downloads are a big no-no.

Streaming the same music on the web for 24 hours is also against the rules for broadcasters, yet I don't know the situation here. If a legit radio station were to do that they would be operating outside of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for web casting and open to paying royalties based on how many people listened. Or their license to web cast would be revoked. Cuscuna was cool with us playing more of a single artist than the rules allowed, but the EMI legal department in England was not, in writing, verboten. They said they'd maybe consider a case-by-case basis.

(For what it is worth I still have no idea how WKCR gets away with those marathon programs. I have it second or third hand that they say they belong to a student radio consortium that has been given a waiver, though in my experience Capitol, Verve and that whole group, and Columbia/Sony do not grant waivers, not even to XM or Sirius, from what I've been told by their legal departments. Maybe they were just shining me on, but then again they didn't impress me as jokers).

What's kind of funny, though, is that royalty payments are based on audience size. Let's see, three?

Right now there are around 4 million subscribers to satellite radio, but over 27 million people listening to radio on-line every day.

In any case, it isn't up to me to police these things. All I know is that the radio professionals at WEMU in Ypsilanti and WKAR in East Lansing, people with real radio chops who I admire professionally, are doing all they can to stay within the guidelines set out for web casting. Blue Lake will follow their lead and adhere to rules laid out by NPR and the U.S. Congress.