What are your favourite live jazz albums?

Phil Meloy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

independent of what I will list here, I'll definetely forget some so I limit it to the three names below:

Bill Evans - Village Vanguard 3CD Box set and the Montreux Festival

more or less any Tjader live album (never disappointed with any)

Dave Brubeck Quartet with the 1963 At Carnegie Hall concert

and my all-time favourite Live album -with one single Jazz tune, day at the races- : Waiting for Columbus (Little Feat), extended two disc version

Cheers, Tjobbe

Guest DizzySpells

Shelly Manne & His Men At the Blackhawk, all 5 volumes.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

... and so many others (Ray Brown at Starbucks, MJQ Europe, Brubeck, Jimmy Smith ... the list goes on and on), but those 5 are the ones that pop up most often on my system.

All time favorite live side, Americans in Europe Vol 2, the side with Bud Powell and Don Byas playing All the Things You Are and I Remember Clifford. Also, Mingus at Carnegie Hall, Newport in New York, The Jam Sessions (particularly the side long take on So What), and Wes Montgomery Live at Tsubo.

Both Woody Herman Carnegie Hall Concerts

The Basie Live album on Mosaic

Especially the first Jazz at the Philharmonic - on the Asch label - "How High The Moon" and "Lady Be Good", with Krupa, McGhee, Jacquet, Ventura, Smith and others

Art Blakey – Ugetsu

Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall

Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall

Terry Gibbs Dream Band, Volume 5 – The Big Cat

Complete Miles at the Blackhawk

and

Quartet Out – Welcome to the Meat House (the only way this one would be better would have been to be there when they recorded it. Which I was!!!! YOW!!!)

I got Shelly At The Blackhawk, Vol 5. Nice music, but I was waiting for him to solo.

You need to get Volumes 1-4. Even better than 5. :tup:tup:tup And in my opinion (see my post way up this thread), it's not so much the soloing that makes this set so great, as much as the incredibe ensemble playing. For example, listen to the way the rhythm section interacts with each other and the front line during solos.

Edited by Ron S