Smooth Jass, ANY1?

nemo7

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it a couple times in the car when it was all I could get on the radio- it made me sleepy and bored. I found I preferred silence. Sometimes there are some interesting grooves, but they never seem to go anywhere. It's like there's an "emotion limiter" kicking in or something.

I guess I prefer *rough* jazz. I don't waste time or energy dissing smooth jazz; I tend to just ignore it.

Welcome to the board, nemo7, but I doubt you're going to find much interest in that type of music here (see next post). ;)

Edited by Free For All

Well...I guess it depends on how you define the beast. I remember seeing artists like Pat Metheny and Russell Malone called smooth jazz on one jazz board or another, and both are on my shelf. On the other hand, most of what I think of as smooth jazz is really boring. You know what gets me? The drumming. Might as well be a machine...

Most of the stuff I hear on the radio today (on "The Oasis") is mass-produced crap with nothing left to chance. Every bit as formulaic as the worst Top 40.

But I'm not one to dis instrumental music with strong R&B underpinnings and slick production values out of hand. There was a time when you could have that and still produce interesting music if you had players and producers who were so inclined. It CAN be done, I just don't hear it being done much today.

Not that I'm actively looking for examples, mind you. But you take something like Grover's WINELIGHT album, and hey...Is it "heavy"? No, of course not. But it's enteratining, and it's not dumb music. Nive changes, good production, a great deal of textural/instrumental variety in the percussion and in the arranging, just a "nice listen", period. And there have been a fair number of other examples over the years.

I have no problems whatsoever with a "nice listen" as part of a well-rounded musical diet. Although, I DO wish they would change the word "Smooth" to a noun instead of an adjective. You know, call it "Smoothjazz" instead of "Smooth Jazz".

Although, I DO wish they would change the word "Smooth" to a noun instead of an adjective. You know, call it "Smoothjazz" instead of "Smooth Jazz".

I'm afraid your distinction is completely lost on the ear, and not at all that differentiating when seen by the eye either.

As for categorizing the stuff that's labeled "smooth jazz" (kind of oxymoronic IMO), it's instrumental pop, period. Nothing wrong with labeling it as such.

:lol: When people who dont like jazz say its like supermarket music, i couldent agree more. here in uk jazz fm plays it, all the true jazz fans have turned off long ago. Its without passion and fire, its so boring it could watch paint dry, absolutely awful bland rubbish, please eradicate it from uk airwaves, lets h earsome great jazz, theres plenty to go round, Paul Uk

I do some consulting work for a company that plays smooth jazz in their office, all day long. I was there on the weekend once, and they don't even turn it off then.

I was about ready to hurl when I heard a particularly limp version of Henderson's Recorda Me. :rmad:

Edited by Uncle Skid

I was in a local store the other day, looking for some jazz, hard to find in my part of the world. And it was full of Kenny G and various 'Best of Smooth Jazz' albums. But within the space of a few seconds two people bought 'Best of...' albums.

Personally I dislike the stuff, but it is very popular with many people. Last year I changed jobs, I had worked in the place fr six years and they knew I liked jazz, and guess what they got me as part of my leaving present 'The Best of Late Night Smooth Jazz' :lol:

Che.

Smooth jazz is lot like that drug described in the movie Jacob's Ladder, that is, very likely used and abused by The Man in the alternate universe, for example by helmeted fuzz for crowd control and dispersion. Better than pepper spray at high volumes, and even better yet at sublimal levels. I think US AG Gonzalez favors SJ, if I am not mistaken. SJ could have been what pushed our guys over the line at Abu Ghraib, we'll know some day.

Smooth jazz is lot like that drug described in the movie Jacob's Ladder, that is, very likely used and abused by The Man in the alternate universe, for example by helmeted fuzz for crowd control and dispersion. Better than pepper spray at high volumes, and even better yet at sublimal levels. I think US AG Gonzalez favors SJ, if I am not mistaken. SJ could have been what pushed our guys over the line at Abu Ghraib, we'll know some day.

Amir.

Do you think there is a possibility that some jazz fans can appear elitist when they talk about 'smooth jazz'?

I work with people that like me have a broad interest in music, but have a particular one they like. Now I have made countless CD's for them, with various jazz tracks. But what they seem to like is the Washington/Kenny G stuff.

What am I to make of this?

Che.