Books for Sale

AllenLowe

I've got a few books I'm selling, left over from my internet sales days - here they are with honest appraisals:

Goin' to Kansas City - Nathan Pearson's very good oral history of KC jazz - I have three copies I will sell for $10 each, shipped media rate. Paper, excellent condition.

Blue Note Records: The Biogaphy. Richard Cook's solidly written story of Blue Note Records. $8 shipped media rate. Hard cover, good condition

Hole in Our Soul. Martha Bayles on the state of American pop. She's wrong, but makes her arguments well. Paper. Ok condition. $7 shipped media.

Sounds of Reform: Progressivism and Music in Chicago 1873-1935. Derek Vaillant. Another academic takes on early music. Cover is a little bent (probably from when I flung it across the room in disgust). Good research, writes like a term paper. $5 media shipping.

Culture on the Margins: The Black Spiritual and the Rise of American Cultural Interpretation. Jon Cruz. Reads like a parody of academic writing - impenetrable, made-up words, blind-man's clarity. Might be fun to get high and than read this aloud, I dunno, but DO NOT operate heavy machinery while reading this book. Paper, fine condition. $6 shipped media rate, your money back if you get past the first chapter (no - let's make that the introduction) -

I take paypal, check or money order - thanks, email me directly at alowe@maine.rr.com

Edited by AllenLowe

Used cd stores here are full of Miles Davis and Duke Ellington product too.

Fact of the matter is I had just finished listening to Jackie McLean sing Wynton's praises on a live performance, introducing him on to join in on a number or two, he doesn't seem to think Wynton deserved to be kicked around like a dead horse or Leslie Gourse's corpse (obviously another sore spot with me). I apologize, you're entitled to your opinion, I just get tired of the most outrageous ones (this and the Norah "talentless hack" one just make me steam).

I'm sorry, back on track with Al selling books (I've bought two I hope).

Edited by jazzbo

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Frank Driggs and Chuck Haddix - Goin' to Kansas City: A History of Kansas City Jazz (Oxford University Press) Mar 31 -- 320 pages; hardcover

Frank is a historian and collector who started this book a long, long time ago. Chuck runs the Marr Sound Archive at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled bookselling...

Frank Driggs is in need of a thread of his own.

Back to the book sale...

Bertrand.

Let's see, what will we call it?

Photo filches?

Sorry Allen....

back to buy bad books... :g

Chris,

That's funny as s**t! As I'm reading all the comments, I couldn't help but think about the time (a couple years ago) I asked you about Frank Driggs and you said something like "don't leave you photographs around or they will end up saying "Copyright Frank Driggs". Those weren't your words exactly but you get my drift.....and then I see your post here! :P

I see Allen has some books for sale!!!

Edited by sheldonm