TCM PRIME TIME MOVIE DISCUSSION CORNER

[Edited To Reflect Thread's New Title/Focus]

The last month or so, LTB (my wife, the Lovely & Talented Brenda, for any newcomers) & I have gotten into a routine of sitting down together and watching whatever is on TCM @ 7 PM Central. Just because. The discovery of so many great movies has proven to be quite enjoyable for both of us.

So many of our members are extremly knowledgeable about film history and the classics of the past. Some, like myself, know the biggest films of the era(s) covered by TCM, but not too much else. It is for the discussion of those movies, specifically, those on TCM on any given day/night, and all things related, that this thread has been created. It will be a genuinbe pleasure to learn from those who can speak with enthusiasm and/or expertise on the subject(s). These films represent such a vast contribution to American (and global) culture that discovering a new gem is like discovering a new album by a new artist that makes you stop and wonder where THIS has been all these years.

Tonight's movie is (checking the TCM website).............

Operation Petticoat :blink::unsure::wacko:

So.... what say y'all? :blink::unsure::wacko:

Edited by JSngry

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea Jim. I'm an avid TCM watcher and always enjoy Osborne's observations.

They had a few goodies last night. Charade, which is a favorite of mine, is one of those films that you can watch over and over again. Stanley Donen does a nice job directing here. Many people actually think that this is a Hitchcock.

Somebody Up There Likes Me was up next. This was the first time that I've seen it all the way through. Newman's performance was a bit over the top. but a good little film just the same.

I always enjoy Operation Petticoat, or anything with Cary Grant for that matter so I'll be watching tonight. I think my favorite, North by Northwest bay also be on around Midnight.

Very enjoyable movie. Think of the Tony Curtis character as a variation on the guy he plays in "Sweet Smell of Success." Also, I think I've read (and it seems clear anyway) that Curtis got a huge kick out of playing off of Cary Grant and vice versa. It's like Vic Dickenson and Dickie Wells trading fours. Also, don't know if this one was made before or after "Some Like It Hot" (both released in 1959), but Curtis's performance in that movie seems to be based in part on his vision of Grant. I vaguely recall finding Dina Merrill quite decorative. Also, I think that she and Grant were friends off-screen. Finally, don't forget that Blake Edwards wrote the script for another fine WWII comedy, Richard Quine's "Operation Mad Ball."

That was an ok movie, dug Curtis's recounting of his C.V. to Grant, great bit of subtle sarcasm, also enjoyed seeing Marion Ross as someting besides Mrs. C.

Gavin McLeod, other than the MTM show, was he ever NOT on a boat?

Who played the nurse/mechanic who captured Arthur O'Connell's heart? Wasn't she a Jerry Lewis stalwart?

Not as funny as I had hoped, but a good "recreational" movie. But - To Catch A Thief is on next, and we'd both have preferred watching that one instead.

The "head" jokes, however, had me wondering just how far over how many heads those lines were going back then....

Guest ariceffron

MARYLIN IS HOT I HAVENT SEEN ANY MOVIES OF HERS IVE LIKED YET. THE BEST ONE I GUESS WAS THE ONE W/ JANE RUSSELL (HUBBA HUBBA). BUT THERES ONE CALLED NIAGRA I SAW AT THE VIDEO PLACE. IS THAT GOOD. IS IT ABOUT NIAGRA FALLS -N- HOW THE FALL IN LOVE AT THE POWER PLANT? WHAT ELSE IS SHE IN THATS GOOD, AND BY I MEAN GOOD I MEAN THAT THE MOVIE HAS HOT MARYLIN IN IT IN ADDITION TO HAVING A GOOD STORY OR CINEMATOGRAPY TO IT, ETC. HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PURPORTED STAG FILM OF HER FROM THE 50S.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PURPORTED STAG FILM OF HER FROM THE 50S.

I have not seen THAT one:

http://www.monroemovie.com/

but there is another one which is mentioned at the bottom of the opening page of the site that was shown on French TV a couple of times.

(Hope the link will not offend anyone! What is shown is pretty tame!)

I prefer Marilyn in films like 'River of No Return' (great combination of MM and Robert Mitchum) and two of Billy Wilder's classics 'The Seven-Year Hitch' and 'Some Like It Hot'. Saw an interview of Wilder a few years ago in which he made it so very clear that MM was a royal pain to work with! Yet she is perfect in those two films when seen on the screen

Gavin McLeod plays Moriarity in Kelly's Heroes, one of my favorite films- takes place in WW II and involves an American squadron (led by Clint Eastwood) stealing German gold from a French bank - and for once McLeod IS off the boat - he plays a guy who repairs tanks -

Jim -- that actress is Virgina Gregg. Don't see any Jerry Lewis credits for her, but I think I know who you're confusing her with; that actress is also somewhat masculine but much bulkier. Gregg, BTW, has an interesting credit -- she was the voice of Norman Bates' mother in "Psycho."

Gregg, BTW, has an interesting credit -- she was the voice of Norman Bates' mother in "Psycho."

Well, that's not TOO far from working w/Jerry Lewis... :g

Tonight's movie - The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone.

Never seen it in, at least not more than a few clips here and there. Don't know if this is necessarily my bag, but who knows? Anybody got some good and/or kind words for this one?

Off-topic somewhat, but be sure to catch FIVE CAME BACK (1939) if it ever shows up on TCM. It's about a plane that goes down in a South American jungle, a sort of early disaster/survivor flick with class overtones and themes... Eleven passengers survive the crash, but the plane (as repaired) will be able to lift off with only five on board... and they're deep in the Amazon rainforest, surrounded by headhunters. It was written by Dalton Trumbo and Nathanael West, directed by Maureen O'Sullivan's husband Joh Farrow, and had a very interesting cast (Lucille Ball as a shady woman, Chester Morris of "Boston Blackie" fame as a pilot, and John Carradine).

Gregg, BTW, has an interesting credit -- she was the voice of Norman Bates' mother in "Psycho."

Well, that's not TOO far from working w/Jerry Lewis... :g

Tonight's movie - The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone.

Never seen it in, at least not more than a few clips here and there. Don't know if this is necessarily my bag, but who knows? Anybody got some good and/or kind words for this one?

Yes! My wife & I watch this every Thanksgiving Day (and the 2-disc DVD that came out a couple of years ago has some great extras on it). "Swashbuckling fun" and all that indeed, but it really is an unabashed celebration of the epic-entertainment form... a well-done celebration, as opposed to the static and staid versions that seemed to take hold in the 1950s.

Historical aside: Flynn's son (Sean, I believe) is mentioned in Michael Herr's incredible Vietnam War journalism book DISPATCHES... he was a photographer who disappeared in Cambodia in 1970 (only recently, I think, have they learned that he and his friend were executed by the Khmer Rouge). Herr's description of Sean Flynn sounds a bit like the characters his father played in movies.

How can you not be enthralled by a virile hero, with a winning, crooked smile, wearing green tights, swinging down on a vine, landing on a log, and saying in an Australian ("Tasmanian," he always reminded people) accent, "Welcome to Sherwood Forest M'Lady"? Add Alan Hale Sr. ( father of "The Skipper") as Little John ... and Basil Rathbone as the Sheriff of Nottingham. The great sword fights on the castle stairs, the archery contest, and Olivia De Haviland radiant as Maid Marian. And, Oh! The COLOR! Pretend you are 12 years old, grab that bag of popcorn, suspend your disbelief, and sit back .. YOU have yourself a winner here!

I may watch myself ... for the fiftieth time.

Excellent technicolor adventure film from the golden age of Hollywood----don't miss it! I was lucky enough to catch this treat on the big screen at an area repertory theater TWICE. Great fun. I highly recommend the 2-disc DVD set as well. This is one of those old films that's great for kids, but adults should enjoy it too. I think it's the best movie version of the Robin Hood legend, and the "Singin' In the Rain" of Hollywood storybook adaptations. :tup:tup:tup

ya'll know Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" (1951)?

Yes, and it's one of my favorite Wilder films because it's the only one that's truly downbeat.

The critique of the media in this film and "It Should Happen To You" (by Cukor) is astonishingly timely.

"Historical aside: Flynn's son (Sean, I believe) is mentioned in Michael Herr's incredible Vietnam War journalism book DISPATCHES... he was a photographer who disappeared in Cambodia in 1970 (only recently, I think, have they learned that he and his friend were executed by the Khmer Rouge). Herr's description of Sean Flynn sounds a bit like the characters his father played in movies."

and interestingly enough there is a movie (I think it's a TV movie, I saw it a long time ago and cannot remember the name) about Sean in which I think he is played by Kevin Dillon - and as I recall the movie notes that he disappeared, probably killed -

Did some Googling on Sean Flynn and discovered he was in WHERE THE BOYS ARE... also took a turn as SON OF CAPTAIN BLOOD.

Here's a photo Flynn took in Vietnam in 1966:

Flynn photo

There's also a book about father and son:

Inherited Risk

Photo of Flynn in Saigon circa 1966:

FlynnSaigon'66

Many more photos of Sean Flynn here, including the last known one, of him and Dana Stone riding off into Cambodia in 1970.

The Clash also wrote a song about him ("Sean Flynn").

Edited by ghost of miles