The guitar corner

7/4

Wow. I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, it's great that Christian is being remembered all these years later. On the other, marketing the 'Charlie Christian sound' is sort of lame----though it is the American Way.........

except: these pickups are named after CC. Always have been or were they not?

Edited by 7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, it's great that Christian is being remembered all these years later. On the other, marketing the 'Charlie Christian sound' is sort of lame----though it is the American Way.........

except: these pickups are named after CC. Always have been or were they not?

I dunno. Anyway I always liked single-coil pickups. I have one now. Maybe b/c after I ODed on rock I got that sound in my ear by listening to Charlie from age 17.

I only know this sound from 78s, lps, cds. . . .never heard a guitar in person that utilized these real pickups. But it's a cool, primal jazz sound, and different from later sounds. I can understand why someone is trying to faithfully replicate it.

Where in Jersey? That's where I am...I don't know if the name is familiar or not. There is a large portion of the population here that has names like that. :lol:

Not sure. But he lives where I am, W. Palm Beach, now. Showster guitars, they were called. Never heard of them before.

I remember them. body like a car fender from the late '50s.

siteSHOWSTER.jpg

Where in Jersey? That's where I am...I don't know if the name is familiar or not. There is a large portion of the population here that has names like that. :lol:

Not sure. But he lives where I am, W. Palm Beach, now. Showster guitars, they were called. Never heard of them before.

I remember them. body like a car fender from the late '50s.

siteSHOWSTER.jpg

Ha ha. Not sure what it sounds like, but I figure it could be used to keep cars running forever in Cuba.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So guys what guitars are you playing these days (if you have more than one, I know what BF is playing, and probably Shawn)?

I've been playing mainly bass these days. My Fender American Deluxe Jazz mostly, such a fantastic instrument, so well put together. I've fallen for the maple neck, never thought I'd love a maple neck on a bass, but there it is. Love the sounds I can get from this on my '59 Reissue Bassman. Such a spectrum of sounds and tones.

The Jazzmaster is the six-stringer I've been playing. I've really bonded with that guitar. Just feels like a master built it. Maybe they did!

I'm probably going to pare my collection down to three guitars and three basses and two amps. Wouldn't surprise me if I end up with all Fenders!

On gigs I'm playing a Hofner Verythin Standard that I picked up about a year ago. I think I posted a pic in this thread a while back. I like the neck, and the tone is excellent and well-suited to the music I play. I also like that it's light and well-balanced.

For most practicing and also when I teach, I generally use my Hofner Jazzica Custom, since I'm playing acoustically in those situations. Haven't been playing the Wechter much lately, but I always come back around to it eventually.

Didn't know you had a 4X10 Bassman reissue, Lon. Great amps! That's been my main amp for over 15 years now. I used to have a 60's Gibson "Vanguard" (tweed, one 15" speaker) that I loved, but I sold it after I'd had the Bassman for a few years. I also had a '64 Twin Reverb that I had restored, but it never sounded anywhere near as good to me as the Bassman.

I've been playing my Strat ('99 custom shop '62 reissue) more than any of my Gibsons over the past year or so. It's a little nutty I know, but it resonates so nicely, I enjoy just playing the thing unplugged a lot of the time. It really is a fabulous instrument.

I still love the Gibsons, though, especially my Gobel (which has almost become part of my body over the years) and the L5N/CC (my avatar). Don't play the Johnny Smith or the Super 4 much these days.

My latest persistent craving: an early to mid-60s Epiphone Sheraton. :wub:

On gigs I'm playing a Hofner Verythin Standard that I picked up about a year ago. I think I posted a pic in this thread a while back. I like the neck, and the tone is excellent and well-suited to the music I play. I also like that it's light and well-balanced.

For most practicing and also when I teach, I generally use my Hofner Jazzica Custom, since I'm playing acoustically in those situations. Haven't been playing the Wechter much lately, but I always come back around to it eventually.

Thanks for weighing in Joe. I've never had my hands on a Hohner, but I know you make them sound excellent and they sure look like fabulously built guitars.

Didn't know you had a 4X10 Bassman reissue, Lon. Great amps! That's been my main amp for over 15 years now. I used to have a 60's Gibson "Vanguard" (tweed, one 15" speaker) that I loved, but I sold it after I'd had the Bassman for a few years. I also had a '64 Twin Reverb that I had restored, but it never sounded anywhere near as good to me as the Bassman.

I've been playing my Strat ('99 custom shop '62 reissue) more than any of my Gibsons over the past year or so. It's a little nutty I know, but it resonates so nicely, I enjoy just playing the thing unplugged a lot of the time. It really is a fabulous instrument.

I still love the Gibsons, though, especially my Gobel (which has almost become part of my body over the years) and the L5N/CC (my avatar). Don't play the Johnny Smith or the Super 4 much these days.

My latest persistent craving: an early to mid-60s Epiphone Sheraton. :wub:

Yes, I've had the Bassman for some months now and it completely displaces other amps for me. I love the depth of the tone and the way it "space invades" the whole room. I also love that it works for my basses and my guitars. Of late I just leave it "flat" and adjust with my guitar's tone knobs and always have sounds I want right there.

Strats are addictive. I have a mahogany Deluxe that I love to play and play. The Jazzmaster wins out lately though because. . . I like the tone better, the result of the bridge and the pickups I guess, both quite different from the Strat format.

I'm really into bass lately though, and have the grooved fingertips to prove it! :D

Pretty!

2007_Epiphone_Sheraton_Elitist.jpg

That's a nice looking Elitist reissue. Much nicer than the "Sheratons" you typically see for sale these days (asian knockoffs with awkward body shapes, that don't even include mini-humbuckers). There's also a nice "John Lee Hooker" reissue version that appears to be nicely made. I haven't played or heard any of these, though. I'm crazy for vintage guitars. Here's a '61, a transition model with the smaller, more traditional type headstock, but without the "new york" type pickups and knobs...

61_sheraton_1.jpg

Then again, red is always nice...

EE1742.jpg

Or maybe a blond...

p1_u3fece5dy_so.jpg

I have a bunch of guitars, but the last few months when I could play, I've been playing the Gibson L6S that my Dad bought me in '74, a '96 MIJ Fender Tele thinline with a SD humbucker in the neck and an el cheapo lap steel.

I have a couple of Strats I'm thinking about selling.

I played Joe's Hofner Verythin and I thought it was a real nice guitar. I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I'm not in the market right now!

Edited by 7/4

my favorite guitar these days is a weird Guyatone with a harmony neck and a Lollar P90 on the neck pickup - because the strength of the P90 is only about 6k it has a true '50s sound, kinda round and rich but none of that high-gain ceramic stuff (which is fine as I've cancelled most of my stadium concert dates). the guitar itself is something of a mixed thing, action is good but not great, but it's light as a feather and good for my ageing hands. Playing it through a Silvertone 1484 or a 5D3 replica (the 5D3 was Fender's pre-5E3 circuit). Taking this baby to NYC next week to record with Matt Shipp, so I gotta practice -