The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, just whether you like playing it. I find I like playing my fretless bass much more than my fretted one. OF course chords. . .that's different.

Of course I enjoy it, one doesn't replace the other. Having said that, I'm concentrating on fretted guitar for now. Three was a couple of years when I played fretless gtr a lot.

I'd forget about chords and stick to 2 note intervals with an occasional 3rd note to make it a chord. It's enough to keep one or two notes in tune!

A few other things:

The fretboard is made of epoxy and has absolutely no wear.

I use flatwounds because my fingers get hung up on roundwounds when I shift and slide around.

There are some issues with sustain, especially on the high strings. I went from a set of .010s to .011s last time and that helped. But then the strings had more tension so they lost the flexibility that made sliding so easy. I think next time I get it out, I start tuning the strings lower so I have the tone of the heavier set with less tension of the lower tuning.

Intonation concerns slow me way down.

Now that I've been working a bit more on the chops, I should get it out and see how I like it.

And, also, I went through a few different compressors (for sustain). I wouldn't bother with one for fretless bass.

Speaking of bass, I have a fretless bass, but I've been missing the fretted Jazz bass I sold two years ago.

dB

Edited by 7/4

I love my fretless bass; it's a Wishbass made by Steve Wishnevsky and it's so expressive. . . just one pickup (an EMG jazz) and a volume control on it and it sounds so "woody."

I like it so much that I thought about fretless guitars. Though I have too many guitars already. So thanks for the input!

50253550.gif

My thing now is the basics, scales and arpeggios. At age 48, I decided I really should know my way around the neck better.

So...any scale - all the notes on one string.

2 notes to a string,

3 notes to a string and

4 notes to a string (shift on the half steps).

edit#2: and of course, a scale in different positions up the neck.

I'm back into Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin after diddling with the Charlie Parker Omnibook for a few months.

Every day I try to read at least a page or two. I'm not working on memorization, just getting around the neck. I need to practice with a metronome, that would improve things drastically.

edit: there's also a bunch of standards I work on, mostly just learning the heads and playing arps through the progression.

Edited by 7/4

50253550.gif

My thing now is the basics, scales and arpeggios. At age 48, I decided I really should know my way around the neck better.

So...any scale - all the notes on one string.

2 notes to a string,

3 notes to a string and

4 notes to a string (shift on the half steps).

I'm back into Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin after diddling with the Charlie Parker Omnibook for a few months.

Every day I try to read at least a page or two. I'm not working on memorization, just getting around the neck. I need to practice with a metronome, that would improve things drastically.

edit: there's also a bunch of standards I work on, mostly just learning the heads and playing arps through the progression.

At age (almost) 38 I've come to the same conclusion. I've been working a lot with scales in all keys, and diatonic chords and arps moving through sequences (usually 4ths and 5ths, also 3rds), plus cycles of major, minor, and dominant 7th-type chords. My reading needs work, and so does my knowledge of standards. And bop heads.

The Bach is never far away, though I haven't read anything new lately. Been working on some Mick Goodrick compositions out of his new book for (mostly) solo guitar.

What did you think of the quartet I sent you, David?

• 2 weeks later...