BFT #24 - Discussion (Disc 1)

king ubu

1. Old Folks, I think – lovely tune. Lovely playing too – I like the pianist even if I haven’t a clue who it is, or the tenor.

2. Nice – that exuberance! Contrasts well with 1. No guesses.

3. At this stage I thought I would have no chance of guessing anything because all would be from earlier eras than I usually listen to. No thoughts about who here either but it went down well.

4. I’m in the Mood for Love, clearly. Masterly. Again I liked the piano backing.

5. Heard the tune before but can’t think of the name. Sounds boppish but not the solos or the rhythm.

6. This tune immediately reminded me of Donald Byrd and Pepper Adams. I think it’s called 6 m’s – a blues - written by Donald Byrd. I don’t think it’s him on trumpet though and I can’t guess any of the others. Very enjoyable though – has much the same feel in the tune as on the Adams/Byrd album I know.

7. The only singer I know who sounds anything like this is Karin Krog. Wild guess. Like the voice anyway, and the style.

8. Whisper Not – not in any doubt about that. One of my best ten tunes. Benny Golson – marvelous composer. These are instruments I don’t listen to much but I would say at least one of them is an accordion but is the other a harmonica? So Toots? Good dynamics – I thought it was fading out but thankfully not.

9. Can’t think of the name of the tune and neither does it suggest anyone to me. Pleasant track. Stuck.

10. Can’t say anything much about this one – no clue. Not into this music.

11. More “accessible”. Strange tune – bits of it are very familiar but not the whole. Is this plagiarism? Don’t think the players are known to me.

12. This one goes beyond me too.

13. And this one.

14. I like this track but don’t know what or who.

15. Here is a French horn I think so I would guess at Julius Watkins. Bass clarinet too – always like the sound. Very enjoyable music.

16. At first I was sure I would not like this but as I listened it became more attractive – interplay. Only a very wild guess – Kenny Wheeler?

17. The kind of guitar playing that I go for is Burrell, Kessel, Pass, etc. Those who play more elongated notes, languid I call them, I avoid if I can. Not that this one is as bad as some but NMCOT for sure.

Thanks for a very enjoyable disc, Ubu – some parts don’t suit me but that’s always the case and they are more than balanced out. Not any real chance of a correct guess here – wonder if disc 2 will be better for me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing as I listen.

1. Beautiful breathy sound. Gorgeous, really. Not even sure what the instrument is (tenor, alto ???). Interestingly, there's not that much happening in terms of improvisaton, but still a pleasure to listen to. Very confident. Piano is OK, nothing special. This one I like a lot.

2. Wild stuff! Great call-and-response - really clever arrangement. And the track length is about right.

3. Not bad as well. The theme is less interesting than the last one. Tenor solo is OK - not to adventurous and fairle predictable, but well played.

I am ready to move out of the early jazz idiom.

4. Not this fast, it seems.

This one has a beautiful tenor sound as well, but I am not too intersted by the solo itself: probably listening to "free" music predominantly makes this sort of solos sound very predictable and confined to strict boundaries. The sound is marvelous, though - Coleman Hawkins?

Really ready for somehting more "out".

5. Interesting arrangement - with vibes. Again, great tenor sound, and again a pretty formulaic solo, IMO. Same goes for the trumpet. Vibes solo I like more - good dynamics and some interesting melodic ideas. Vibist is the leader? Hilarious guitar solo with all these fast notes, but not too nteresting ideas-wise either. Piano is OK. Not too xcited about ths one.

6. OK, we are moving a couple of decades ahead... and getting into somehting even more formulaic. Sounds like some European guys really trying to do it the American way - a bit artificial in thir attempt to "swing", that is. Well played. Got bored by the end. Long track.

7. Now these guys swing genuinely! Excellent singer, and what an original stylist - have only one of her CDs (with Dick Katz and Thad Jones), will get more for sure. Should know the pianist (great solo!) and drummer (oh yes), but surely can't name them right now for some reason ;). Philly Joe? Hank Jones? Great.

8. Accordeon! I think the solo is excellent. Really uses the unique capabilities of the instrument, but not in a gimmiky way. A lot of clever ideas. Very tasteful.

9. Not bad at all. Good tenor solo. Is it Dexter Gordon, by chance? Trumpet is excellent! So is the piano. Very enjoyable. Will be interested in buying this disc.

10. This bassist I can't stand. This is a fairly representative example of his "talents" - repetitive, predictable short-note grooves without any concern for other players. Surely there will be some boring bass solo (perhaps with some ugly one-note arco playing) later. The drumer I am a bit ambivalent about - unlike bassist he has skill, at least, but is also a bit of a one-trick pony to me. The pianist is OK here (a lot of Tyner influence displayed here, IMO), but not at his best - there are examples of his better works elsewhere. QUite bombastic. Oh yeah, here is the bass solo. Not as bad is it can get, but still pretty poor. Simply amazing that these many great musicians allow him to ruin their music.

11. Fun. AlsoTHese also sound like some European dudes. All solos are tasty and to the point. Good stuff.

12. OK, we are going into somewhat more challenging territorz -about time. Love the alto sound (or is it tenor? - I often have problems telling them apart...anyway, the sound is good - very strong). I feel that the saxophonist got lost a bit in the middle. Well, I was waiting for them to really freak out, but it never happened. Still quite good. Heinz Sauer?

13. Oh yes. Some funny rat people. Thoughtful interplay between tenors. The guy in the left channel has ths Ayler thing in his sound all right. Gorgeous sound. The other guy is less interesting. Good bass - Kent Kessler. Good tenor solo (if a bit generic) - I would have preferred the guy in the left channel to solo. this sounds like Vandermark at his more brutal to me. The other guy (I really wish he would play more here) could be Joe McPhee. Good music.

14. Boring bland mainstream, IMO. Could hardly keep myself listening till the end.

15. Beautiful. Very nice theme. Good trombone solo (or is it bass trumpet???), so fragile and timid. I hate these mandatory applause after each solo - do musicians really appreciate this? Tenor is good - thoughtful and lyrical. Not too convinced by the piano solo - not too original, is it? Like the track overall.

16. Good beginnig. Oh, some funky stuff! These bass-less/ drum-less countrpoint interludes - very clever. Don Ellis orchestra? Of the solos I liked the trumpet the most. Well crafted.

17. Ghosts! One of my favorite themes! - and played on GUITARRRRRR!!! This is one of my favorite drummers - was a treat seeing him live recently. Phenomenal techniacally, but also a great stylist - and really supporting of his partners. Guitarist I don't know, but he is good - would have loved to hear more of him. Bassist is no slouch either (also a brave viking warrior, I assume).

18. :) Ellington.

Thanks ubu!

eins: Old Folks, performance by Ben Webster I'd say, probably with a local rhythm section somewhere in the depths of Europe. There is not much to say about these breezy latter day performances other than that they are truly wonderful. Webster's tone fits the ballads so well. Did the man ever get a gold medal? Damn, he should.

zwei: ja! short and sounds like maybe Hawkins (?). Nicely powerful in your face performance, the sound quality definitely adds to the charm. This may be any band, from Fletcher's to a European equivalent of the times.

drei: hmmm. more of the same? Seems like Ubu is trying to fool us here. It is not entirely unlikely that there were European tenors at the time with the precise same sound. Love this one like the previous two. Superbly dedicated tenor sound with a lot of breathy width.

vier... I missed it ??? sorry, only found out track four is missing when I reread while wanting to click the buttonk...

fünf: Mood for Love, besides the tenor sounding like those before (probably Hawk again), the vibes are fantastic and so is the guitar. None of these soloists strike me familiar which probably only goes to prove that there was some shit hidden up some sleeves already way back when. Some will certainly complain that this is too stiff or what not. They need to shake their bones some and retune their brains. This swings like mad albeit it in another realm. Sound quality ain't helping the appreciation process either... too bad. I like this a bunch just for the dedication.

sechs: Some Byrd/Adams tune (????) but not them (duh...). These guys have caught something by the lurch as it captivates and won't let go. Very good performance, a bit formal in places, probably due to the rhythm section, but pretty fantastic. The trumpet certainly has divulged its fair share of Mogey, great playing and nice solo, close to the melody. Loosening that pianist seems to help, he leaves his stifness somewhat and plays some nice lines.

sieben: oooo, Helen. What is this? This is fantastic! What insane drive here. Merrill does know how to push and drive. Damn!

acht: just insane. Shit like this made me appreciate the jazz accordion all over again. This can only be a yurpeen player as them silly mericans would have shot him and killed the effort before it ever bloomed. ;) Have some similar ditties (like Ubu does) by a GDR player, that go somewhat more into silly territories. This is simply and plainly great. More please.

neun: ooo swooshy time! what's this? cheap mp3 ditty? ;) Anyhow, Ornette tune, right? If so, I like how they took it out of context and recreated. Nothing wrong with that. It's like playing merry musical tunes, but in a backward way. Kudos to these lovely players.

zehn: pleng ploing plenplenpleng dunk! fantastic. The king knows how to segue, I am envious. Cecilesque goings on that remind me of Uli Gumpert and his dada-exquisties.

elf: heheheh.

zwölf: oy, this is it. bass and alto are at the top of the game, percussion adds a fantastic touch. Sorry ubu, no other comments than that this is great!

dreizehn: ooooo, sweet. "Let me tell you a story about a king who lived a long long time ago..." an utter fairytale this one, complete with very bad animals that eat all the friends of the hero, but all's well that ends well. And in the end, although there is some sadness, there are still two. I hope they became friends. Great tune.

vierzehn: radio recording with that noise I could not remedy. Sorry 'bout that! :( The music is still amazing; a very nicely building effort with that pushing vamp that dissolves in an ant like working colony. The piano keeps pushing forward, lacking some basic emotion, likely because of the recording, half way through he certainly makes ammends and starts some pretty great lines and variations, in the end it all fits together and there are no complaints. Then it all goes on for a while too long though. Still a great tune by a great musician.

fünfzehn: dunno, ballads are very revelatory in a way and although these players hit the right vibe, it is all too obvious they do not really have to tell a story that is as long as the tune is. This is truly nice enough and there are some truly great moments of interaction, but the message is not sustained. Still loving it though.

sechszehn: ja! big drive and much fun. sounds like Koller. Love it. Big sounding ensemble bursts with even bigger bass and stings.

siebzehn: a variety of modern deconstructionist stuffs dude having a go at some american folk tunes.

achtzehn: -

sorry I got so short towards the end. I'm sleeping already and I could and should have made more of this BFT. I'll be off next week and wanted to post before. Hope to listen while absent and maybe add some more comments.

D.D.: glad you liked some of the music! As I said, I didn't do a "funny rat" bft - though THAT would be a very interesting thing!

This one has a beautiful tenor sound as well, but I am not too intersted by the solo itself: probably listening to "free" music predominantly makes this sort of solos sound very predictable and confined to strict boundaries. The sound is marvelous, though - Coleman Hawkins?

Now that guy on #4 has certainly dug a lot of Brötzmann, sound-wise, heh heh heh!

7. Now these guys swing genuinely! Excellent singer, and what an original stylist - have only one of her CDs (with Dick Katz and Thad Jones), will get more for sure. Should know the pianist (great solo!) and drummer (oh yes), but surely can't name them right now for some reason  ;). Philly Joe? Hank Jones? Great.

No need to search for such big names... that same pianist has been dissed by you elsewhere.... w:

8. Accordeon! I think the solo is excellent. Really uses the unique capabilities of the instrument, but not in a gimmiky way. A lot of clever ideas. Very tasteful.

Again nice to hear someone more likes this one! "Whisper Not" is one of my favourite tunes, too, and this track one of my faves of Disc 1.

9. Not bad at all. Good tenor solo. Is it Dexter Gordon, by chance? Trumpet is excellent! So is the piano. Very enjoyable. Will be interested in buying this disc.

I'm afraid there's no way of buying this disc. I don't even know if there's more than this cut around...

10. This bassist I can't stand. This is a fairly representative example of his "talents" - repetitive, predictable short-note grooves without any concern for other players. Surely there will be some boring bass solo (perhaps with some ugly one-note arco playing) later. The drumer I am a bit ambivalent about - unlike bassist he has skill, at least, but is also a bit of a one-trick pony to me. The pianist is OK here (a lot of Tyner influence displayed here, IMO), but not at his best - there are examples of his better works elsewhere. QUite bombastic. Oh yeah, here is the bass solo. Not as bad is it can get, but still pretty poor. Simply amazing that these many great musicians allow him to ruin their music.

Give me the names, please, of each of the three! I suppose you got the bassist right, but I'm far from sure you id-ed the others correctly, too!

12. OK, we are going into somewhat more challenging territorz -about time. Love the alto sound (or is it tenor? - I often have problems telling them apart...anyway, the sound is good  - very strong). I feel that the saxophonist got lost a bit in the middle. Well, I was waiting for them to really freak out, but it never happened. Still quite good. Heinz Sauer?

Thought you'd like this and the next one... not Sauer.

13. Oh yes. Some funny rat people. Thoughtful interplay between tenors. The guy in the left channel has ths Ayler thing in his sound all right. Gorgeous sound. The other guy is less interesting. Good bass - Kent Kessler. Good tenor solo (if a bit generic) - I would have preferred the guy in the left channel to solo. this sounds like Vandermark at his more brutal to me. The other guy (I really wish he would play more here) could be Joe McPhee. Good music.

Not Kessler, not VDMK, not McPhee :w

14. Boring bland mainstream, IMO. Could hardly keep myself listening till the end.

C'mon, don't be pretentious ;)

15. Beautiful. Very nice theme. Good trombone solo (or is it bass trumpet???), so fragile and timid. I hate these mandatory applause after each solo - do musicians really appreciate this? Tenor is good - thoughtful and lyrical. Not too convinced by the piano solo - not too original, is it? Like the track overall.

That pianist... I'll say no more except you've mentioned him being a favourite several times...

17. Ghosts! One of my favorite themes! - and played on GUITARRRRRR!!! This is one of my favorite drummers - was a treat seeing him live recently. Phenomenal techniacally, but also a great stylist - and really supporting of his partners. Guitarist I don't know, but he is good - would have loved to hear more of him. Bassist is no slouch either (also a brave viking warrior, I assume).

You sure you know these guys? Post names if you do... ;) w:

18.  :)  Ellington. 

:tup

Thanks ubu!

Thanks to you! Some very interesting comments!

ubu

Edited by king ubu

you mixed something up there...

vier... I missed it ??? sorry, only found out track four is missing when I reread while wanting to click the buttonk...

fünf: Mood for Love, besides the tenor sounding like those before (probably Hawk again),

the vibes are fantastic and so is the guitar. None of these soloists strike me familiar which probably only goes to prove that there was some shit hidden up some sleeves already way back when. Some will certainly complain that this is too stiff or what not. They need to shake their bones some and retune their brains. This swings like mad albeit it in another realm. Sound quality ain't helping the appreciation process either... too bad. I like this a bunch just for the dedication.

more comin'!

Edited by king ubu

sechs: Some Byrd/Adams tune (????) but not them (duh...). These guys have caught something by the lurch as it captivates and won't let go. Very good performance, a bit formal in places, probably due to the rhythm section, but pretty fantastic. The trumpet certainly has divulged its fair share of Mogey, great playing and nice solo, close to the melody. Loosening that pianist seems to help, he leaves his stifness somewhat and plays some nice lines.

Funny how some prefer the riddim section here... I prefer the horns a bit, too, but as couw says: let the tinkler do his stuff and he's fine! CHECK THAT DRUMMER, BTW! ONE OF THE BIGGEST NAMES ON DISC ONE (HINT HINT HINT).

acht: just insane. Shit like this made me appreciate the jazz accordion all over again. This can only be a yurpeen player as them silly mericans would have shot him and killed the effort before it ever bloomed. ;)  Have some similar ditties (like Ubu does) by a GDR player, that go somewhat more into silly territories. This is simply and plainly great. More please.

No more of this... :(

Not even much info on the musician.

neun: ooo swooshy time! what's this? cheap mp3 ditty? ;) Anyhow, Ornette tune, right? If so, I like how they took it out of context and recreated. Nothing wrong with that. It's like playing merry musical tunes, but in a backward way. Kudos to these lovely players.

couw sees the positive things (here and on #5)! :tup to that, and I really mean it!

I have no idea where the swoosh is coming from, but after the first seconds it doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe deterioration of tapes, maybe a mastering error on my source...

... The king knows how to segue, I am envious.

I didn't really give that much thinking... intuition, maybe? Maybe a stoopid mail form the couw-man or a beer that helped pulling decisions? ;)

elf: heheheh.

The couw-man is a madman, yes? Though I guess I'm just as mad, so let me add my own comments on #11 (a short preview of my answers thread): "heheheh"

zwölf: oy, this is it. bass and alto are at the top of the game, percussion adds a fantastic touch. Sorry ubu, no other comments than that this is great!

I'm still not sure if this is an alto or a tenor... others are confused, too, I see. Can someone help? I mean, it doesn't go low down enough to be sure it's not an alto, but the sound is so full and big that I find it hard to think of this as an alto...

dreizehn: ooooo, sweet. "Let me tell you a story about a king who lived a long long time ago..." an utter fairytale this one, complete with very bad animals that eat all the friends of the hero, but all's well that ends well. And in the end, although there is some sadness, there are still two. I hope they became friends. Great tune.

:lol :tup

vierzehn: radio recording with that noise I could not remedy. Sorry 'bout that! :(  The music is still amazing; a very nicely building effort with that pushing vamp that dissolves in an ant like working colony. The piano keeps pushing forward, lacking some basic emotion, likely because of the recording, half way through he certainly makes ammends and starts some pretty great lines and variations, in the end it all fits together and there are no complaints. Then it all goes on for a while too long though. Still a great tune by a great musician.

Nothing you did (or did not or did wrong) with this! Can you id the tune? It's not the composer on piano, btw!

sechszehn: ja! big drive and much fun. sounds like Koller. Love it. Big sounding ensemble bursts with even bigger bass and stings.

I am not in posession (yet) of any of those Koller MPS reissues, so I can't comment...

Thanks again for some very interesting comments!

ubu

acht: just insane. Shit like this made me appreciate the jazz accordion all over again. This can only be a yurpeen player as them silly mericans would have shot him and killed the effort before it ever bloomed. ;)  Have some similar ditties (like Ubu does) by a GDR player, that go somewhat more into silly territories. This is simply and plainly great. More please.

No more of this... :(

Not even much info on the musician.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :rmad::rmad::rmad: How can you tease us like this?!?!?! :g:g:g

Actually, couw's comment about this song made me :lol::lol::lol::lol: !!!!!

Now that guy on #4 has certainly dug a lot of Brötzmann, sound-wise, heh heh heh!

Well, that's the only way for me to identify all these early jazz guys - through Broetzmann's influence ;) !

Again nice to hear someone more likes this one! "Whisper Not" is one of my favourite tunes, too, and this track one of my faves of Disc 1.

I'd say this is my favorite track on this BFT as well.

There is an excellent Russian accordeonist, Vladimir Danilin, working in a somewhat similar vein. I will try getting some of his records.

10. This bassist I can't stand. This is a fairly representative example of his "talents" - repetitive, predictable short-note grooves without any concern for other players. Surely there will be some boring bass solo (perhaps with some ugly one-note arco playing) later. The drumer I am a bit ambivalent about - unlike bassist he has skill, at least, but is also a bit of a one-trick pony to me. The pianist is OK here (a lot of Tyner influence displayed here, IMO), but not at his best - there are examples of his better works elsewhere. QUite bombastic. Oh yeah, here is the bass solo. Not as bad is it can get, but still pretty poor. Simply amazing that this many great musicians allow him to ruin their music.

Give me the names, please, of each of the three! I suppose you got the bassist right, but I'm far from sure you id-ed the others correctly, too!

William Parker - Matthew Shipp - Tom Rainey. Could be Craig Taborn on piano (another McCoy and Cecil-influenced guy), but I thought he was more orginal than that. Now, listening to it again - could this be your girflriend Ibarra? Sounds more like it Good drumming, actualy - I was a bit too harsh on the first listen. Should I relisten to the whole BFT???

12. OK, we are going into somewhat more challenging territorz -about time. Love the alto sound (or is it tenor? - I often have problems telling them apart...anyway, the sound is good  - very strong). I feel that the saxophonist got lost a bit in the middle. Well, I was waiting for them to really freak out, but it never happened. Still quite good. Heinz Sauer?

Thought you'd like this and the next one... not Sauer.

I don't think I've heard this saxophonist then, quite original sound.

Not Kessler, not VDMK, not McPhee :w

Shame on me, then - I should know the saxophonist in the left channel, at least.

C'mon, don't be pretentious ;)

I thought the music was pretentious.

That pianist... I'll say no more except you've mentioned him being a favourite several times...

Cecil Taylor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sure you know these guys? Post names if you do... ;) w:

I thoght it was Paal Nilsen-Love - Peter Jansen (or Haker-Faten) and some guitarist I don't know.

Sorry to say, D.D., all your guesses are quite off mark... try a little harder on the pianist, my friend, I guess we all know that is not Cecil there...

I'd be delighted to hear that russian accordion player! Get that disc(s) for me, too, please!

Now on the piano trio track: you're a few decades wrong there... the bassist is a yurpeen who "made it" in the US, is most highly regarded by some but dissed in quite a harsh way by others... A big bass-name hidden there. The other two are rather well-known, too.

Ray: I'm not at all laughing (well, I had to chuckle some times, I do admit that), but I'm finding it fascinating. I mean, there's a few obvious ones on both discs, and there's lots of unknown in between, and I'm really enjoying all your comments!

There may be quite some "DUH!"s coming when the answers are revealed, but I am perfectly aware that my BFT is pretty difficult. However, I have to stress again that I do enjoy reading everybody's guesses and thoughts a lot!

ubu

I've been meaning to post my thoughts on these discs for a few days now, but have been much busier than I expected. Overall, I don't really know who any of these tracks are by with any certainty, but I sure did enjoy trying to guess! With that said:

1. No clue who this is. I am really enjoying this track. Great tone from the sax. Nice, relaxed vibe. I will have to explore more work by this artist.

2. Very short excerpt from some track…I assume you are isolating the portion of the track featuring the sax player. Hawk? Not really my style of jazz, but I enjoy this clip very much.

3. No clue at all. I’m not enjoying this one as much as the excerpt from track 2. SINOW.

4. Hawk again? Still not in my era, no clue who this is.

5. Kind of bop, kind of swing. Not sure who this is, but I’d guess it is someone from the swing era staying current and incorporating some bop into their repertoire. This track is a lot of fun, if not something I would go out of my way to hear. The guitar solo is kind of corny. Hamp?

6. No clue who this is. A nice enough track, although it sounds a bit too formal and restrained for my liking. Ok, the tune loosens up a bit towards the end. This one went on for about three minutes longer than I expected it to. It is definitely growing on me. Probably a tune I would appreciate more as I give it more listens. For now, Solidly ok.

7. Nice drive, but the vocals don’t do anything for me at all. I’m just really not a fan of jazz with vocals. Nothing I don’t like about her voice, it’s just the style itself that leaves me cold.

8. Very nice! Is this from one of the Jazz in Paris discs? I really, really like this track. I would very much like to hear more by this group. Nothing trite about this jazz accordion. Great sound, good ideas, wonderful tune.

9. This one is sounding very familiar, but I can’t quite put my finger on who this is.

10. Very influenced by Cecil, but not him. William Parker on bass? I’m not sure I think this track quite “comes together” completely, but I like it, the pianist in particular.

11. Boogaloo vamp. Very fun track, no clue who this is. Not enough here for me to latch onto.

12. Very nice! This sounds very familiar. Fred Anderson with Hamid Drake and Peter Kowald on bass? I’ll have to buy a copy of this one.

13. Vandermark? I really like the bass here. I would guess this is a gfroup of European musicians, too. Perhaps one of the AALY trio w/ Vandermark discs.

14. Not really grabbing me. Nice enough, but goes on for too long with nothing new to say.

15. same as 14, although I enjoy the tune a bit more.

16. Nice funky beginning. Slightly “out” big band. European, early 1970’s?

17. Ghosts! Very nice version of this. My first thought was Ribot, but that is obviously wrong. No clue who this is, but I really enjoy the version.

18. Duke.

John: thanks for your post!

Read comments above to see the accordion is not from a JiP (not from any album at all that is widely availablem, I have but that one beautiful track).

On #10: funny both you and D.D. go with Parker! The bassist has been much maligned by some (I think on this board, too). Mucho bigger name here than Parker (at least historically and bass-ically speaking).

On #12: again, no album here... this comes from vinyl, but I don't have it all. Your guesses are completely off, btw ;):w

On #13: again funny both you and D.D. were reminded of VDMK.

As it now looks as if Rooster's BFT will start in early April, I assume we have enough time for mine, and I won't drop any further hints already (not sure these hints will be of much help, though...)

ubu

That BFT was one of the most frustrating experience I have had in quite some time. I enjoyed the music when I first listened to it and thought I would have no problem guessing some but on second listening I had my doubts and on the third listening I find myself asking what's going on?

So I'll probably make a fool of myself but that's happened before and this is only a game. So here goes.

1- Good old Ben at his most evocative playing 'Old Folks' somewhere in Europe. He could really get to the quintessence of the tunes and this is a near-perfect example. No idea who is backing him. The pianist does a pretty good job of it. I'll ignore the rest of them. They don't do much to help but probably were asked to remain in the background on that tune.

2- an extract from a record. Take it we are supposed to guess the saxophonist? Hawk, maybe. Chu, I'ld go for him, but can't recall Chu playing with that bad an orchestra. Hawk had to endure some of those bands when he stayed in Europe in the '30s.

3- Hawkins soaring for an all-too brief appearance? I'll get to that record to hear the full version.

4- Ubu's in love with I'm In The Mood, obviously! And with Hawkins. No problem with that. I thought I knew Hawkins but I'm finding out I still have a lot to learn of the Great Man's Music.

5- Another early bop classic 'Mop Mop'. The vibes player was no Hamp. Thought it might be Tyree Glenn who toured with Don Redman shortly after the end of the war. With a Swiss appearance by Redman and Ubu playing the Swiss game I thought I might figure this one. Don Byas was also in that Redman band but that sure is not him appearing here.

So one more dead end street!

6- I know that tune (heard first on a BN album?) and should know the players. But I don't. Probably some of the younger generation. Excellent trumpet player who lines I love but he will have to read further than the Morgan book he has been studying.

Same goes for the piano player who has interiorized the Bobby Timmons style.

7- In Love with Helen Merrill! Where did Ubu picked that one? Can't recall any similar version. The pianist and drummer do a very commendable job accompanying her.

8- When I heard this, that accordion player sounded very much like Richard Galliano but on second listening I knew this was not him. The one her can play but Galliano is much more jazz oriented and much more of a swinger. Nice version of 'Whisper Not' in any case. Wish Galliano would play this. The musician here makes the tune sound like a natural for the instrument.

9- A classic Coleman tune. But the blues does not sound that much like the idiom of the musicians here. Not bad but I have heard so much better.

10- A Cecil Taylor tune. But this is not CT.

A very good player is on board. A wild guess will be Irene Schweitzer! Ubu is playing chauvinistic.

Doublechecked with a couple of records I have of her and the more I listen to this track, the more I'm sure it's Schweitzer.

11- OK but there's nothing really going on here. Competent playing but I got tired of this after a few minutes

12- back to interesting music. That alto player sounds like John Tchicai. If it's him, he's into some very inspired music. I know he continues to make a number of albums that I have not been able to check. That's one I will look for. But I can't figure out who the other players are!

13- Funny Rats on the loose. I'm not really impressed with this. I'll just wait for Ubu to post the answer on that one.

14- is Ubu picking all this music from the net? No idea who plays in this piano trio side. The theme is by Lalo Schiffrin. Great tune that was the theme song for a French manufacturer of stockings! Pretty good piano and bass players. I liked that even I still haven't figured out what's going on with this Ubuesque BFT!

15- I liked that ensemble very much and planning to return to that music. Very strong playing all around. But don't ask me for identifications. I'll return to that track!

16- big band tango! Not bad and some fun is welcome. But the frustration is growing as we continue to move into unfamiliar territory. Some of the muscians seem to have problems with the music.

17- could that be Frisell getting into Ayler? That was what I had in mind when I played this for the first time. Later I realised this was no Frisell!

Not bad but I'll stick to the real Frisell! Then again I can't identify any of the other musicians. The bass player and the drummers do a pretty good work!

Not bad overall!

18- hope Ubu does not need me to identify this man?

To conclude: a very strange BFT. I'll be waiting for the results. There might be surprises!

I'm still puzzled with all this but THIS was a real experience!

Thanks Ubu!

Edited to fix minor typos!

Edited by brownie

That BFT was one of the most frustrating experience I have had in quite some time. I enjoyed the music when I first listened to it and thought I would have no problem guessing some but on second listening I had my doubts and on the third listening I find myself asking what's going on?

Dramatizing a bit, huh? ;)

So I'll probably make a fool of myself but that's happened before and this is only a game. So here goes.

:w

1- Good old Ben at his most evocative playing 'Old Folks' somewhere in Europe. He could really get to the quintessence of the tunes and this is a near-perfect example. No idea who is backing him. The pianist does a pretty good job of it. I'll ignore the rest of them. They don't do much to help but probably were asked to remain in the background on that tune.

See, that's not at all a bad start! :tup

2- an extract from a record. [...]

3- [...] I'll get to that record to hear the full version.

No more from these two to be heard... :(

4- Ubu's in love with I'm In The Mood, obviously! And with Hawkins.

And with:

maggie_cheung.jpg

5- Another early bop classic 'Mop Mop'. The vibes player was no Hamp. Thought it might be Tyree Glenn who toured with Don Redman shortly after the end of the war. With a Swiss appearance by Redman and Ubu playing the Swiss game I thought I might figure this one. Don Byas was also in that Redman band but that sure is not him appearing here.

So one more dead end street!

Swiss is not all that far off (see EKE's first post of this thread), though...

6- I know that tune (heard first on a BN album?)  and should know the players. But I don't. Probably some of the younger generation. Excellent trumpet player who lines I love but he will have to read further than the Morgan book he has been studying.

Same goes for the piano player who has interiorized the Bobby Timmons style.

Will be interesting to know, I guess, who these fellas are! The tune has been nailed above, btw, it's "Hush", by Donald Byrd.

7- In Love with Helen Merrill! Where did Ubu picked that one? Can't recall any similar version. The pianist and drummer do a very commendable job accompanying her.

ubu loves Helen...

019.jpg

As ubu knows he's not the only here loving Helen, he thought he'd share this ultra-rare tune...

The pianist appears elsewhere, btw, in a not-so-well-loved performance (among you bft participators) as dis here...

All these

?

10- A Cecil Taylor tune. But this is not CT.

A very good player is on board. A wild  guess will be Irene Schweitzer! Ubu is playing chauvinistic. 

Doublechecked with a couple of records I have of her and the more I listen to this track, the more I'm sure it's Schweitzer.

You'se a talkin' of Irene Schweizer, mister? :tup! Finally! Now who's the other two? Not half as obscure, as, say, the bad band on #2 or the accordionist ;)

12- back to interesting music. That alto player sounds like John Tchicai. If it's him, he's into some very inspired music. I know he continues to make a number of albums that I have not been able to check. That's one I will look for. But I can't figure out who the other players are!

Long OOP... don't have the album myself :(

Oh, and before I forget, not Tchicai, though from the same continent (nationality-wise, I mean, this is a caucasian...)

13- Funny Rats on the loose. I'm not really impressed with this. I'll just wait for Ubu to post the answer on that one.

hear hear!

14- is Ubu picking all this music from the net? No idea who plays in this piano trio side. The theme is by Lalo Schiffrin. Great tune that was the theme song for a French manufacturer of stockings! Pretty good piano and bass players. I liked that even I still haven't figured out what's going on with this Ubuesque BFT!

Are you sure about the tune? I'll need to check back with the source, but it was not identified as a Schifrin tune.

And glad you can enjoy it without knowing what's going on!

15- I liked that ensemble very much and planning to return to that music. Very strong playing all around. But don't ask me for identifications. I'll return to that track!

You could/should/may know the tinkler.

17- could that be Frisell getting into Ayler? That was what I had in mind when I played this for the first time. Later I realised this was no Frisell!

Not bad but I'll stick to the real Frisell! Then again I can't identify any of the other musicians. The bass player and the drummers do a pretty good work!

Not bad overall!

Ayler-wise I'd rather stick with the real Albert... did Frisell do any Ayler interpretations?

18- hope Ubu does not need me to identify this man?

ubu knows it all :g

To conclude: a very strange BFT. I'll be waiting for the results. There might be surprises!

I'm still puzzled with all this but THIS was a real experience!

mission accomplished! (ubu patting himself on his shoulder...)

Thanks Ubu!

Thanks to you for some interesting comments!

ubu loves Helen...

The pianist appears elsewhere, btw, in a not-so-well-loved performance (among you bft participators) as dis here...

At some point, I thought Gordon Beck might be involved since he played with Helen Merrill for quite a long time but I did not recognize him on that one...

Are you sure about the tune? I'll need to check back with the source, but it was not identified as a Schifrin tune.

And glad you can enjoy it without knowing what's going on!

I don't know if that's the actual name of the tune but the pianist quotes extensively from that well-known Schiffrin composition!

Will post comments to disc 2 by midweek. Need to relisten to that one!

Edited by brownie

Could anybody resume what has been already nailed? :w

Going from memory (seems like I post too much to keep an overview...):

#1: tune & tenor

#2: tenor

#3: tenor

#4: tune & tenor

#5: tune (& youknowwhatelse...)

#6: tune

#7: tune & Helen, NOT pianist, NOT drummer

#8: tune & instrument ;)

#9: tune

#10: tune (actually labelled differently, sort of stolen...) & pianist

#11: nada

#12: nada

#13: nada

#14: nada (xept the quote of a Schifrin tune, which, though, escapes me!)

#15: nada

#16: nada

#17: tune

#18: ducal musings

hope I didn't forget anything! if so, reply to that post and I'll edit it or re-post!

ubu

brownie, I guess my partial quote above didn't help, sorry! I just wanted to ask if something got lost here:

9- A classic Coleman tune. But the blues does not sound that much like the idiom of the musicians here. Not bad but I have heard so much better.

All these