Open Letter to Jim Alfredson

I like the name change. You could be someone's favorite B3 player and they may not even know your real name. Got to get ready for that solo career. (If your ever in need of my managerial expertise as sampled on Soul Stream's thread :bwallace: , let me know ;)

Anyway, that's not what this thread is about. It's about you, and specifically your listed hobbies. Namely, woodworking.

My father is one of the few woodworkers I know who has all his digits! If he were to lose a finger he may have to pick his nose differently (sorry Dad) but really no big deal. If YOU, however, lose a finger or two, no B3 virtuosity and you and the world are changed forever!

Consider this an intervention, Jim Alfredson and woodworking are two words I never want to see together again. Understand?

Thank you,

Scott

I am an amateur woodworker at best, but I've always loved working with wood. I recently bought a book on how to make Arts & Crafts style furniture. I'm also planning on making new kitchen cabinets, since our kitchen is so old and weirdly shaped.

I appreciate the concern. I am very careful with power-tools, especially saws. Every time I begin to use them, I think about nipping one of my fingers off and it scares me into stopping, thinking, and not doing anything stupid.

All I can say is, it's a good thing I ain't a drunk!!!!!

:P

Speaking of cutting stuff off, has anyone seen those new saws they are introducing this year? The blade is charged with electricity and any change in the current trips a mechanism that snapes the blade down through the table. It's amazing. They demostrated it on this show I was watching by placing a hotdog on a board. They started cutting the board and as soon as the blade grazed the hotdog, it shot down under the table, leaving the hotdog with just a little scratch on it. Really amazing.

Scott -

That is one FINE open letter! In fact, it's so good, I hereby nominate you to write the open letter that Aric has been pushing. Don't tell me ya need a topic, addressee, or anything else relevant. We will expect to see a draft within the next couple of hours...

AN OPEN LETTER TO BLUE NOTE

AN OPEN LETTER TO BLUE NOTE PART TWO

A couple of Sundays ago I sliced my right index finger open pretty deeply with a bread knife. (Will never cut a bagel THAT way again, that's for sure!) I didn't really want to go to the hassle of getting it looked at but the thought of being possibly unable to play scared me into going to the ER on a weekend. Fortunately, everything was fine and it's healing nicely with probably no scar.

Heh. And I here I thought "woodworking" was a euphemism for something else...

Johnnie's mother knocks on the bathroom door where little Johnnie has been for quite a while and says "You know, if you don't stop that you'll go blind"

Johnnie replies "Can I at least do it until need glasses?" B-)

Edited by scottb

My dad was a surgeon -- another profession where skilled, intact fingers are crucial -- with a lot of hobbies, including woodworking. People were always asking my mother "How can you let him do that? Does he carry extra insurance for that?"

Well, first off -- the idea of anyone being able to tell my father they weren't going to "let" him do what he intended to do was a laugh riot!

But also, my father was very into testing his control over potentially dangerous situations (flying airplanes was another hobby) -- he considered it important to practice his mental focus: to maintain the right balance of calm, intensity, caution and boldness. After he retired from medicine, he said it was kind of a karmic thing: if he was going to work on other people with a knife, it was good practice to subject himself to a similar risk.

I was never good at woodworking (I think I'm the only person who failed it in 9th grade, but it never bothered me) and if truth be told, I ain't too handy around the house either. That too doesn't bother me neither.

I was seriously "shop challenged " as well..

In the eighth grade , I worked a WHOLE F@%^%$^!ING YEAR on a pair of bookends..

..and they never DID meet at a ninety degree angle!

:rhappy:

I was never good at woodworking (I think I'm the only person who failed it in 9th grade, but it never bothered me) and if truth be told, I ain't too handy around the house either.  That too doesn't bother me neither.

I was seriously "shop challenged " as well..

In the eighth grade , I worked a WHOLE F@%^%$^!ING YEAR on a pair of bookends..

..and they never DID meet at a ninety degree angle!

:rhappy:

I think I made the same pair of bookends!

A couple of Sundays ago I sliced my right index finger open pretty deeply with a bread knife. (Will never cut a bagel THAT way again, that's for sure!) I didn't really want to go to the hassle of getting it looked at but the thought of being possibly unable to play scared me into going to the ER on a weekend. Fortunately, everything was fine and it's healing nicely with probably no scar.

I recommend:

10627.jpg