Favorite Stevie Wonder album

Alon Marcus

Which do you prefer  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What, no "Secret Life of Plants?" ;)

i'm gonna go home and see if my LP still smells. :wub:

Not as bad as you might remember it being!

The words are goofy as hell, but the music itself is pretty darn interesting more often than not.

no, no. that album was the whole 'sensory thing' at the time and had been olfactorily embibed with lavendar or rose as well as having the braile embossing. a literal smell!

I was considering a Blindfold Test disc with all Stevie Wonder covers .....

I have to admit I don't remember what I voted for - they're all great, some have more great songs, especially Innervisions, but Songs in the key of Life impressed me back then for its overall conception and grandness, like a peak prepared by the other albums.

Innervisions for me too.

The one reason? I love all the songs on that album. There isn't a single dud and the way the album is programmed is superb. Ranks with Marvin's What's Going On? IMO as among the very best soul abums ever. In fact in any genre.

Exactly!

Well, I've thought about it, but I can't vote for one. It's absotively, posilutely between TALKING BOOK and INNERVISIONS for me, though. The albums before and after were certainly not chopped liver, but to me the pinnacle was those two. I'm far more sentimentally attached to INNERVISIONS, which came out just before I started dating my future (and current) wife. In fact, we chose "Golden Lady" for our first dance at our wedding reception. But TALKING BOOK was a superb album too.

Oh no... :unsure: If I don't vote, then I won't know what the results are. I think I'll vote for TALKING BOOK, but when you view the standings, take a half point away from that and add a half point to INNERVISIONS.

Is that BRILLIANT, or what? B-)

I voted up 'Innervisions' as well but looking at 'Songs in the Key of Life' had me thinking that that would have been more of a classic than it is had it been a single LP. Nothing wrong with the whole weave that was there and I always loved pulling out the 45 to play "Saturn" and "Ebony Eyes".

But if "Knocks Me Off My Feet", "Pastime Paradise", "Ordinary Pain", "As", "Another Star" aren't the basic root of today's neo-soul then I don't know what.

I love those Stevie albums too. But all jazz musicians should be banned from covering his songs for at least the next 30 years to give us all a break for a while.

Yeah, I just wish I could remember this killer version of "Creepin'" that I heard on KNTU a few years ago. Can't even remember if they said who it was, but it was SMOKIN'!

I love those Stevie albums too.  But all jazz musicians should be banned from covering his songs for at least the next 30 years to give us all a break for a while.

Danilo Perez does a stellar version of Overjoyed on his recently released Live at The Jazz Showcase album. I would recommend checking it out, it might change your mind. B-)

"Innervisions" for me

Though I voted for Talking Book, I must say all of Stevie's albums are hit and miss for me. I don't listen to them all the way through, maybe I'm alone in that sentiment. I tend to like 4 or 5 cuts off each album.

My favorite Stevie track is "Hey Love." :wub:

Old shot of Stevie I made in college days.

good shot :tup

thanks. a front row seat didn't hurt. ;)

A front row seat... :( This reminds me- I saw Stevie around 1975 at The Cow Palace in SF. Not only did I not have a front row seat, I was about as far away as I could have been, and that's a large arena. With a pair of binoculars, I could almost make out where he was. :rolleyes: The music sounded just fine, though.

====

Jon, I agree with you for the most part. I also agree with the above comments about "Songs In The Key Of Life". Two LP's was too much. There were even things about some of the better songs on that which I had a hard time with (such as the way some of the lyrics matched up awkwardly with the music on "I Wish"). Stevie's scatting also began to sound weird, IMO... and unfortunately (again, IMO), a lot of soul/pop singers picked up on it as if it was a good thing... one reason I could never watch "Star Search" (not that there weren't plenty of other reasons). ^_^