Bill Evans Cuts

Jazz Kat

Which B.E. Album Is Your Favorite  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really do Dig Big Evans. Hear are some of my favorites, Im wondering what are everybody else's fav's.

I dig Bill Evans also however a poll like this is difficult to respond to in view of the dissemination of all the Riverside material first into 2-fer LPs back in the '70s which I purchased at the time, then into the wonderful 12 disc boxed set which I've owned and listened to for quite some time now. As a result I no longer can look at a poll such as yours and distinguish what favorite cuts belong to which of the original Riverside issues The exception of course is the SUNDAY AFTERNOON AT THE VANGUARD session. But what is the title of the equally excellent companion album to that - is it PORTRAIT IN JAZZ? I really don't remember. So I took the easy way out and voted for SAatV, as it certainly is up there in terms of Bill Evans material I listen to often.

More problematical perhaps are the slew of albums he made for Verve. Choosing strictly among those would be interesting in view of the greater variety of contexts found there, e.g., solo, overdubbing, orchestra accompaniment, duets as well as trios, etc.

Guest DizzySpells

I voted "other" which, in my case, means everything. I have yet to hear an Evans session I didn't like and value highly ... and I have lots of Evans! Basically, I was afraid to make a decision. They're all my babies, every single one of them (some fatter than others).

I really do Dig Big Evans. Hear are some of my favorites, Im wondering what are everybody else's fav's.

I dig Bill Evans also however a poll like this is difficult to respond to in view of the dissemination of all the Riverside material first into 2-fer LPs back in the '70s which I purchased at the time, then into the wonderful 12 disc boxed set which I've owned and listened to for quite some time now. As a result I no longer can look at a poll such as yours and distinguish what favorite cuts belong to which of the original Riverside issues The exception of course is the SUNDAY AFTERNOON AT THE VANGUARD session. But what is the title of the equally excellent companion album to that - is it PORTRAIT IN JAZZ? I really don't remember. So I took the easy way out and voted for SAatV, as it certainly is up there in terms of Bill Evans material I listen to often.

More problematical perhaps are the slew of albums he made for Verve. Choosing strictly among those would be interesting in view of the greater variety of contexts found there, e.g., solo, overdubbing, orchestra accompaniment, duets as well as trios, etc.

I guess the easy way would be to select out of the ones you know. Which you obviously did.

Of the ones posted in the list, I chose Moon Beams. I might’ve chosen that one anyway (along with its companion How My Heart Sings), because the sense of longing and mournful loss is so palpable, and yet it manages to be so without being maudlin. Take a song like “It Might as Well Be Spring,” which Evans transforms from a hopeful song of new love into a forlorn statement of hopeless resignation (or put another way, the emphasis is no longer on which season it is (i.e. “it might as well be SPRING”) as much as it doesn’t really matter what season it is (i.e. “it might as WELL be spring”).

An additional bonus is the fact that Chuck Israels fits so nicely in the void left by the tragic death of Scott LaFaro.

Then there are the favorites not on the list: Know What I Mean, the Verve comp ‘Round About Midnight, and Quintessence. And then there are those, both on and off the list, that I can’t wait to eventually hear: Interplay, California Here I Come, and At the Montreux Jazz Fest!

I first heard of Evans on Kind Of Blue, Went out and got Evans's Finest Hour, whcih I didnt really like that much. I didnt feel they choose good enough material for that compilation. However, about a month later I came across Portrait Of Jazz, and Waltz For Debby. I got it, and I loved Portrait Of Jazz soo much, when I put Waltz for Debby on, it didnt touch me at all. I just love Portrait Of Jazz alot! But, when I heard Explorations, it was very different and the tempos and time sigs changed alot through the songs, and now that one's my favorite. I am despirately searching for Eddie Costa's Guys And Dolls Like Vibes album, w/ Evans on piano.

Explorations for me though I have a compilation bootleg which was my first exposure to Bill and poor sound or not the first 3 tracks are still enormously evocative for me

(these)

Bill Evans, Chuck Israels, Paul Motian

Birdland NYC 10/02/62

1. Gloria's Step

2. Haunted Heart

3. Nardis

Who's your favorite drummer with Evans? I’m torn between Paul Motian, who helped define the sound of the Bill Evans Trio and was as sympathetic a drummer as you’ll ever find with anyone—the man could listen and accompany as if he could read Evans’s mind; and Philly Joe Jones, who could make Evans swing like no one else could by lighting a fire underneath Evans, forcing him to play with more fire and passion on the swingers than he normally would.

What do y’all think?

Guest DizzySpells

Who's your favorite drummer with Evans? I’m torn between Paul Motian, who helped define the sound of the Bill Evans Trio and was as sympathetic a drummer as you’ll ever find with anyone—the man could listen and accompany as if he could read Evans’s mind; and Philly Joe Jones, who could make Evans swing like no one else could by lighting a fire underneath Evans, forcing him to play with more fire and passion on the swingers than he normally would.

What do y’all think?

Let me put it this way (which, now that I think of it is strange, because you are right and I should be more into the Jones sessions, being more a fan of swinging material altogether), the material I favour has mostly Motian on there. To me, that grouping sounds more balanced and more, err, cerebral, which is the aspect of Evans I like best.

On the other hand, I sometimes have these dramatic mood swings when it comes to Evans recordings, and I might change my mind in not such a distant future.

To me, that grouping sounds more balanced and more, err, cerebral, which is the aspect of Evans I like best.

Couldn't agree more! That type of playing by Evans is my favorite type of piano jazz, and for my money nobody plays it better in that vein than Evans!

Guest DizzySpells

There's nothing like Bill Evans for those days on which I got totally stressed out, grumpy, aggressive, whatever. Evans can cure that in 5 minutes. Everyone also knows that in an Evans listening session, I'm incommunicado. I hate to be interrupted. Call me weird.

On a totally different note: the Tord Gustavsen Trio does similar things for me. Both albums are fantastic, although they are a totally different ball game and Bill Evans plays in a completely different league. If you don't have the two discs, check them out.

Edited by DizzySpells

I have to say, although I like Evans well enough (not a favourite by any means), I CAN'T STAND the hordes of sub-Evans derivatives. Seems that every 'schooled' piano player has to have the Bill Evans sound. Lots of piano players seem to hold an Evans-Hancock-Jarrett tryptich in much the same mystical regard that heavily 'schooled' horn players hold Michael Brecker.

I voted for Other, not because those sessions aren't good, but I've been listening lately to the complete village vanguards from 1968 that was just reissued in Japan and even though the sets are repetitous. the music is not. That one gets my vote. Philly Joe is fantastic on these dates.

I don't agree with your premise. There is some very moving fantastic solo piano albums out there. For starters, pick up some Art Tatum and see if you don't agree. A good place to start is Piano Starts Here. Then go onto his Pablo solo work, Pretty fantastic stuff, better than his group work. After that, try some Earl Hines.