Jazz in Paris.

B. Goren.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Informatively - and mainly for the Jazz In Paris completists posting here - the FNAC stores are distributing a smashing 54-page glossy booklet under the title 'Jazz in Paris Chronology' which lists the main jazz events in Paris from 1917 to 1959.

The booklet also includes rare excellenty reproduced photos, posters, album covers.

Another classy job from the creators of the series.

The booklet is given free to any purchaser of one of the four large size JinP boxes that came out a couple of years ago. It has the same size as the boxes.

The offer is valid for the next two weeks. Probably also available at non-French FNAC stores. Text is in French and English!

I don't know about the international postage rates, but www.dustygroove.com has a lot of the JIP discs for 4.99 US and the three boxes for 19.99 US. . . .

EDIT: Well they had the boxes and may have them again. There are dozens of the individual cds though.

Edited by jazzbo

Informatively - and mainly for the Jazz In Paris completists posting here - the FNAC stores are distributing a smashing 54-page glossy booklet under the title 'Jazz in Paris Chronology' which lists the main jazz events in Paris from 1917 to 1959.

The booklet also includes rare excellenty reproduced photos, posters, album covers.

Another classy job from the creators of the series.

The booklet is given free to any purchaser of one of the four large size JinP boxes that came out a couple of years ago. It has the same size as the boxes.

The offer is valid for the next two weeks. Probably also available at non-French FNAC stores. Text is in French and English!

Shoot, I want one of these. I bought all four of those JiP boxes, but I guess I bought them too early.

Does anyone know what the best (=cheapest) online resource for the individual JiP discs is (for someone living in Europe, but not necessarily au centre de Paris)?

Daniel, avoid the centre de Paris if you're looking for one of these boxes at cheap prices.

They sell here for something like €50 ($60).

I recently had Tooter bring me one of the boxes here. The Jazz in Paris boxes were available at much cheaper prices in Germany and other countries. Figure it out!

Amazon has the BIG box set for $550 with free shipping. At 75 CD's, that's $7.30 per disc ppd.

B00005RSB2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

They also have the three smaller boxes at $30 each ppd from Amazon; slightly cheaper prices on the marketplace. The Tower in Atlanta had all three boxes in December stickered at $25... no idea if they're still available.

• 4 weeks later...

More food for Jazz In Paris completists...

Jazz In Paris Remixed

This one is a DVD! A 51-minute visual tour (in black and white) of Paris. Eery images by Antoine Carlier.With people like Nicolas Repac, Yvinek, Art Konik and others having a go at a re-cretation of the music from Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Art Simmons, Louis Armstrong, Serge Gainsbourg, Art Blakey, Barney Wilen, etc...

Not my cup of tea but this one kept the interest on even if I felt another blow from the generation gap!

ANy idea if this book will be available for purchase? I also have all 4 box sets already.

If you're speaking about the Jazz In Paris chronology booklet, all I can say is that it is not on public display and is being kept in lockers at the FNAC stores which are the only stores that distribute this book.

But the booklet is in french AND english so there could be a chance that it will find its way to non-French FNAC stores

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Forgot to include the Sonny Stitt with the Oscar Peterson trio album (recorded for Verve in Paris in May 1959 in the forthcoming batch.

Don't forget the Michel Legrand-Stan Getz date !!! FANTASTIC :excited:

These 10 new reeditions are the last ones. Daniel Richard (at Universal Jazz France) said that everything interesting has been put on CD...

Edited by Steven

There will be a dozen additions to the Jazz in Paris series next month. The new crop includes CDs by Buck Clayton, Guy Lafitte, Raymond Fol, Maurice Vander, Sammy Price and volume 5 of the Jazz et Cinéma series, among others!

That's great news, but will it be possible to get them as a small box or something? I have all the rest in the series, so I might as well get these.

Don't forget the Michel Legrand-Stan Getz date !!! FANTASTIC :excited:

This CD is the only one which appears on the Universal JinP site so far

Communications '72

The new batch was scheduled to be published on March 5 but there seems to be a slight delay.

Here is the full list:

Buck Clayton 'and Friends'

Raymond Fol 'Echoes of Harlem'

Stan Getz/Michel Legrand 'Communications '72'

Guy Lafitte 'Blues ...'

Kid Ory at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées

Sammy Price 'Good Paree'

Sonny Stitt sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio

Maurice Vander 'Piano Jazz'

George Wein 'Midnight Concert at the Olympia'

Jazz et Cinéma 'Volume 5'

No idea if there is going to be a box of these...

Edited by brownie