Can This Be?

Morganized

Hey Bill - I know i was stretching with that Bird analogy - hadn't had my morning caffeine yet - but my point is that one needs to separate the "music" from the "collectible" in an instance like this. Of course the guy isn't buying it for the music - and he'd be foolish to open it up and play it after paying $5 grand for a sealed copy. It's silly if you ask me, too, but presumably the guy is loaded and/or unmarried ;).

We often spend a lot of money on collectible things with no practical purpose - that's part of the nature of having a collecting hobby. Personally I would never pay that much for an LP - I don't "collect" LPs for that purpose - but I disagree that this is "just another LP" or that it's lunacy to pay so much. We can't think of this as just some guy who really really really wants to hear Jutta Hipp. B-)

Ray,

If you look at the discription again at ebay, the album is NOT sealed, but as i remember BN did not shrink wrap their stuff until after they were purchased by Liberty.

Because of my business i used to do alot of Mall collectables shows. When they were the "in" thing i watched many a person pay very high prices for baseball cards. Then the bottom dropped out of the market and these guys will never get their money out of them. The same thing happened in stamps.

I guess i am just saying that this was not a very good investment, no matter how you try to dress the pig.

Ray,

If you look at the discription again at ebay, the album is NOT sealed, but as i remember BN did not shrink wrap their stuff until after they were purchased by Liberty.

Because of my business i used to do alot of Mall collectables shows. When they were the "in" thing i watched many a person pay very high prices for baseball cards. Then the bottom dropped out of the market and these guys will never get their money out of them. The same thing happened in stamps.

I guess i am just saying that this was not a very good investment, no matter how you try to dress the pig.

I usually hesitate to say anything when my fellow vinyl fiends talk about their shrink-wrapped vinyl, factory-sealed being a good investment.

After all, what people collect and why they collect it is a very personal thing, not to be criticized.

But, I agree that to collect something, whatever it is, primarily as an investment, rather than because you love it, whether it's books, paintings, photographs, or anything else is fraught with peril.

The saving grace of one's collection being something you love is that even if the monetary value evaporates, you still have whatever it is that you collect to enjoy, whatever it's market value is...........or isn't.

The beauty of sealed records, assuming that they aren't warped and unplayable, to me, is the music. That doesn't change. If it's worth something, well, that's just a bonus. It's not about the money to me.

When they were the "in" thing i watched many a person pay very high prices for baseball cards. Then the bottom dropped out of the market and these guys will never get their money out of them. The same thing happened in stamps.

In the mid-90s, I had a friend who bought a case of complete sets of Fleer baseball cards. The individual sets were packed in a plain cardboard box with plastic tape that had "Fleer" written on it. He was told to never open it because it was worth more that way. He paid some outrageous price but said it would appreciate. I looked at the box, looked at him and said, "You just bought a cardboard box". Crazy. He assumes that what is supposed to be in there is in there. It'd be funny if it was just someone with access to a Fleer tape roll.

As for stamps, I used to collect stamps so I know what happened to that market. The "bible" for stamp values, Scotts, decided that since everyone automatically discounted their "book price" by 20% to get actual value, they simply reduced all of their book prices by 20% so that their book would be correct. The market continued to take their book price and discount it by 20%!! In the end, it was better to mail your unused stamps than to sell them. I remember using stamps issued throughout the 70's and 80's as postage for almost a year.

Later,

Kevin

When they were the "in" thing i watched many a person pay very high prices for baseball cards. Then the bottom dropped out of the market and these guys will never get their money out of them. The same thing happened in stamps.

As for stamps, I used to collect stamps so I know what happened to that market. The "bible" for stamp values, Scotts, decided that since everyone automatically discounted their "book price" by 20% to get actual value, they simply reduced all of their book prices by 20% so that their book would be correct. The market continued to take their book price and discount it by 20%!! In the end, it was better to mail your unused stamps than to sell them. I remember using stamps issued throughout the 70's and 80's as postage for almost a year.

I think that vinyl market will die with the last generation who grown up with records. Like stamps or baseball cards it depends mainly on nostalgic feelings for a disappeared world, (like my youth I presume ;) ). A Michelangelo's drawing is a unique example in the history of mankind, but a Jutta Hipp's record is simply one of the many ways to reproduce her art (the music).

If you want something similar to a Picasso's sketch, in term of investment you should buy the original master at least.

to me, this is very simple. a japanese collector won this auction as it was one of the few missing pieces in his collection (or partial collection; some collect only 1500 series). i know several japanese collectors after having lived and traveled there for a long time and not a single one of them purchases with a forethought of investment or appreciation... it's just not part of the equation.

regards,

-e-

ps: now on the other hand, if japanese collectors seemingly endless budgets are being stretched by straw bidders, mercy on that sellers' soul...

I think that vinyl market will die with the last generation who grown up with records.

i take exception with this on the sheer fact of current and future collectors following this art form to its roots; namely the initial-pressing of the LP...

i hate to use the word purist, but the purist, or otaku-minded, collector will forever be tracing jazz to its genesis.

-e-