Musicians who quit the game

Soul Stream

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, though, I think that is a real challenge for the newer generations of musicians out there. You know Joe. I'm looking at your disc now and you are credited on quite a few compositions.

Too many good musicians are looking to modern pop/rock for "the new standard." I've been saying this for a little while, and I'm new to all of this music anyway (less than a decade) so what do I know, but I say "the new standard" is ORIGINAL COMPOSITION.

Seriously, what was the question. I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't know what you were asking. And sorry in advance for the vague answer, but 7/4 knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. Maybe we should ask him.

Hey 7, which ones would you say are the good ones? I used to like the green ones, then I realized they all tasted the same and the color didn't matter anymore.

Honestly, though, I think that is a real challenge for the newer generations of musicians out there. You know Joe. I'm looking at your disc now and you are credited on quite a few compositions.

Too many good musicians are looking to modern pop/rock for "the new standard." I've been saying this for a little while, and I'm new to all of this music anyway (less than a decade) so what do I know, but I say "the new standard" is ORIGINAL COMPOSITION.

Sorry, didnt think it was that close in complexity to rocket science. ^_^

Which good musicians took the standard, rock/pop.

Heres an attempt at a serious answer:

AS someone who literally worked in the music business as a drummer/arranger /composer / producer my eintire 40 year working life, I can state several truths ( at least they are for me ):

1. Very little of what I did had any connection with "jazz" per se ..aside from the odd rehearsal band or session ..

2. To enable yourself tot survive in the above career, most of what you are forced to play or write will not be to your taste, but you still have to learn how to deal with it effectively or you won't have any clients.

3. the crappy music you can learn to deal with on autopilot ..it's the" Clients" that will eventually get to you.

4. Taking 1,2,and 3 into consideration, burnout is pretty well nigh a sure thing.

However:

5. After retiring, relocating to the NW, and after five years totally away from music, after my late wife died, I found myself actually "interested" in jazz again through some coaching at a couple jazz clinics. Eventually, I started writng and producing again , but only for "fun" ..stuff I WANTED to do. (no clients )

Now I can honestly say, I do have the greatest "hobby" in the world ( and one that I'm already experienced with and merely going through a period of re-acquaintment with ..and I'm gradually stretching the barriers again ..just like when I was 20 and learning jazz the first time.

All this has led to a new "career" as a jazz producer ..and the issuing of my first ( so far ) CD in my 40 some year career as a musician, as well as several other FUN jazz projects along the line.

true story ..

:tup:tup:tup