Musicians who quit the game

Soul Stream

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa...Mike...think about this...

I empathize with the sentiment, I really do, but, dude, that's a freakin' radical step.

Just remember - gigs are not the be-all and end-all of what music really is. It's one thing to stop gigging, for a while or permanently. It's another thing to stop playing altogether.

Only you know what really needs to be done, but once a musician, always a musician, in mind, body, and spirit. It's not like switching from Ford to Honda, if you know what I mean...

Whatever you do, don't go and ho' out just for the money. Creative types who do that inevitably become the vilest of the vile.

My prayers are with you, if that's ok.

Wow. Thanks guys for all the encouragement! I guess I'm just coming to that crossroads between playing for bread, which I can do (very meagerly). Or playing what I want, which I can't seem to really keep steady work doing (very, very, very meagerly). It's the old..."if a tree falls in the forrest and nobody hears it" thing.... Is a musician a musican if he doesn't work? I want to believe so, but don't know on a personal level.

I'm going to just let things happen as they will. If a trio gig falls in my lap, I'd certainly take it. However, I know there's nobody out here covering my back so to speak. Everyone's dispensable from the scene. People drop out and the music goes on. I'll leave the next few months up to fate. If it's meant to be, something will happen. I know that's a pacifist view, but it's all I got right now.

Thanks again ya'll! :)

It's the old..."if a tree falls in the forrest and nobody hears it" thing.... Is a musician a musican if he doesn't work?  I want to believe so, but don't know on a personal level.

The answer to both questions is YES. A musician is what you are (among other things of course); playing a gig is something you do (when it works out).

The tree that fell unheard still had an effect on the surrounding environment. And the work you do in private has a profound effect on yourself, and, I believe, still connects to the greater world of sound and intention.

Just don't forget: Keep It Greazy!!!

Is a musician a musican if he doesn't work?

A musician is a musician as long as he/she plays, even if it's in private, and even if it's only in their head. Working is the best/healthiest scenario, obviously, but the point is this - sometimes the Kosmic Kourt sentences us to time in the Karmatic Slammer. Sometimes the charges and the sentences are legit, and sometimes they're bogus. Doesn't matter. DOES NOT MATTER. You do your time and do not let the bullshit break you.

To paraphrase Dr, King, if it befalls you to be a streetsweeper, be a jazz streetsweeper, and do so proudly and, if need be, defiantly. If it is your lot to become an office manager, be a jazz office manager. Etc. The music is the best and healthiest expression of who we are, but if need be, we can play the music in other ways. We must never lose sight of this!

These are our lives we're talking about. OUR lives, dammit. and we must never forget that. Better to die on our feet than live on our knees, however that plays out for the individual.

SoulS:

Before you totally decide to bag it, please re read my post ( somthing around #85 ) on this thread about my experiences ..

If music becomes your serious "hobby" , and the frustrations of trying to make a living from it are moved, you will probably really begin to "enjoy" music again ..as I found I did.

I'm now 67, and I turn down ALL gigs that even beging to smell like "work" ..and am enjoying myself immensely on the ones I do take. :tup:tup

Mike, I lived in Austin through much of the 80s (grad school at UT) and while it was a great music town overall, the jazz aspect of the music scene was pretty minimal. Not too much happening at all.

Is it any better now? I can see how a jazz musician could get discouraged there.

Yes FFA, I doubt jazz is much different here than most places. Some great players here obviously. But, unless you're playing Infant Eyes, cats think you're lame. What I do is on par with what a Lou Donaldson set might look like. Kind of old-timey and bluesy what most jazz guys today want to play. I'm stuck between two genres which isn't a great help gig-wise or trying to find the right sidemen to make the gig. Jazz guys can't play the blues aspect of the gig, Blues guys can't play the jazz aspect of the gig. Anyway, organ jazz is a unique sub-genre of jazz imho with a lot of different challenges as far as trying to wedge it into today's club scene. Jim Alfredson and Joe, Randy I'm sure would pretty much tell you the same story. Although they have a nice 3 musketeers vibe and I'm the lone ranger. ;)

Frequently I am asked "How do I/we make it to the next level".

The answer never pleases.

If you have a local following and want to move on you need to create a following at the next level. You must know there are 25 groups wanting the gig you dream of. If this means moving to a "larger market", you have to do that. No NYC clubowner is going to hire you 'cause you are the biggest thing in Cedar Rapids. You have to pay your dues at every step of the way.

Most people choose to spend time/money with family and other obligations but those making the move, move on. It is as simple as that.

Once again, Chuck is the turd in the punchbowl.

Is a musician a musican if he doesn't work?  I want to believe so, but don't know on a personal level.

The answer to both questions is YES. A musician is what you are (among other things of course); playing a gig is something you do (when it works out).

If you weren't a musician you wouldn't even bother to ask yourself these fundamental questions!

Edited by mikeweil

Anyway, organ jazz is a unique sub-genre of jazz imho with a lot of different challenges as far as trying to wedge it into today's club scene. Jim Alfredson and Joe, Randy I'm sure would pretty much tell you the same story. Although they have a nice 3 musketeers vibe and I'm the lone ranger. ;)

Is that your basic character or is it the lack of dedicated co-workers? It is the group vibe in one of my bands that makes me carry on.

Anyway, organ jazz is a unique sub-genre of jazz imho with a lot of different challenges as far as trying to wedge it into today's club scene.  Jim Alfredson and Joe, Randy I'm sure would pretty much tell you the same story.  Although they have a nice 3 musketeers vibe and I'm the lone ranger. ;)

Is that your basic character or is it the lack of dedicated co-workers? It is the group vibe in one of my bands that makes me carry on.

Not my character at all. I LIKE to be part of a team. It's hard to play baseball by yourself! ;) I've always thought of music as a communal experience. There's plenty of guys who'll play a gig, it's another thing to find chemistry, love of the same style of music, and a common goal.