The Modern Jazz Quartet

Jazz Kat

I won that lp on ebay then it got lost in the mail. Further down the road, I managed to pick it up. I didnt dig it at first, but then I actually got the point of it. I like the classical, followed by a blues piece, which is the pattern for the album. The album spotlights Kay's delicate percussion talents.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do folks think of Blues on Bach?

Yeah, that's a nice one. By this time (early 70s), the "prissiness" had mostly evolved into an almost soft-glo psychedelic quality, thanks in large part to, as JK mentioned above, Connie Kay's evolution from "just" a drummer into a color machine.

Good stuff, and it makes for a fine (and interesting) companion to the earlier Blues At Carnegie Hall.

As one of the "older" members on this board, I would like to add my 2 cents here ..... I have been a fan of the this group since their first iteration as the Milt Jackson Quartet in the early 1950s.. and then through the Prestige period, and latterly the Atlantic, and finally Pablo periods. I must have just about every CD they issued, Japanese and otherwise ... so obviously, I am a very big fan. I respect the range of views expressed here, and while I don't agree with many of them (wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed on everything), there is something magical in the way these four men can affect my emotions. For me the MJQ are always of interest as thinking music, not as subtle background. If I lie back and listen, really listen to what they are doing, the interplay, the quality of the improvisations, Lewis's incredible comping (melodies in themselves) behind Jackson, Kay's range of sounds, Heath's hard swing and melodic solos, and, of course, Lewis's incredible way of swinging the hell out of just a single note, then I am transported into a different realm.

For what it is worth, I think that the MJQ are underappreciated for their improvisational qualitites. There is so much emphaisis on their tonal presentation that what they are actually improvisationally doing gets lost in the shuffle. The best way to really understand this is to put on those earphones, close your eyes and listen ... It will rock your world. For starters, I suggest you take this challenge with either "Blues on Bach" or "The Final Concert" ....

Edited by garthsj

Amen,

I'm an old fart also, been there from the beginning, remember D&E???

I absolutely support the statement about "listen and really listen" to what they were doing.

Amazing

Loved The Last Concert the most, unfortunately I lost my whole and complete collection of MJQ (as well as others) in the fires of San Bernardino, Oct 2003. But I will never forget....

B-)

Edited by BruceW

The first MJQ album I bought was "The Last Concert'. There was something special going on that night and I've never found the other MJQ albums I've heard to be quite as stimulating, though often very enjoyable (especially the live sets).

I agree with the earlier poster who called "For Ellington" a brilliant album. It is often overlooked and underrated. One of their very best, IMHO.

I have the MJQ 40th Anniversary box and was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it the last time a gave it a spin. Also agree that I couldn't listen to the MJQ on a regular basis, though there are certain times when I need to hear that sound.

I have to break ranks with this MJQ love fest. I know the group was very talented but I never could get excited with the "third Stream" genre.

Same here (especially the orchestral things), but as the 60s wore on, those tendencies became less common (or at least less overt), and that's when things got a little more interesting for me.

I remember in 1975 (74? 76?) when they were celebrating some anniversary, and they had a run of appearances on several TV shows. The music was very strange, really, lots of vamps and open-ended sections with sparse changes, no real "beat" out of Kay, just a nice soft blur of sound. "Avant-garde" in many respects, although it was still performed in tuxedos and stuff.