I Am So Psyched!

Dan Gould

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

That's pretty neat news. Even if this doesn't work out, for a $2.00 investment, this will have been a pretty wild ride. And. if it does, and these cuts do wind up on a Mosaic at some point, I can only say (and you'll have to pardon me for quoting an ex-Yankee); "Holy Cow!"

Up over and out.

Congrats!!!

Any chance you could have b3-er host a 30-second sample of each side??  (Assuming you can run your turntable through your PC, etc...)

We'd all love to hear some of this thing too!!  :excited:

I sent a PM to Jim about this, since Allen's transfer is en route, but I guess Jim's a bit busy what with the recording session and all ...

Actually, there's another possibility for hearing this, though it would take a bit longer: Michael Cuscuna has told me that, if he figures out a way to do a Three Sounds Mosaic, and if there's space and the music is good, and if Gene's widow approves, he'd definitely like to include this as an earliest known recording. (And I ran it by Janie Harris and she's happy to give her consent, and she hasn't even heard it yet!)

God, I hope it's so. Trouble is, Michael has been saying for a long time that he's trying to figure out a way to do a Mosaic and my impression from several emails is that it's not a large possibility, that a Select or two or maybe just a single cd is the more likely scenario.

Here are three ideas for a Three Sounds Mosaic:

The Complete 1966-1972 Three Sounds Blue Note Studio Recordings

OK, the 1972 album was titled Gene Harris Of The Three Sounds, but at least "Three Sounds" is in the title, and only after that album was the reference dropped completely, as the focus had shifted over to Gene Harris himself. Nothing of this has come out on CD (unlike the live sessions from the same period which have come out.)

The Complete Verve/Mercury/Limelight Three Sounds Recordings

This set would contain the complete 1962-66 non-BN recordings, including the 35(!) unissued Mercury tracks that Tom Lord lists (if they actually exist).

A Mosaic Select that gathers the large number of unissued Blue Note tracks that are supposed to exist. This would be a set along the lines of the recent Andrew Hill Select in that it focuses on unissued recordings, and it would then also be natural to include the unissued Four Sounds demos.

What do you think?

Interesting concepts, I'm not sure that the later BN recordings really deserve Mosaic treatment. I mean, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow has got to be one of the worst recordings BN ever did! But the other two are good ideas, and I'll forward all of them to Michael.

I'm pretty sure, though, that Michael is trying to figure out a way to put out the material from the first era with BN, the "classic" era. The problem has always been the lack of variety in the recordings. Which suggests another possible idea for a Select:

The Three Sounds PLUS sessions:

Collect the Lou Donaldson, Stanley Turrentine, and unissued Ike Quebec recordings, I think there was a Grant Green session, too. That would also be a natural fit to include the two Four Sounds tracks.

Just to let y'all know, Allen's return package arrived today and he did a really fine job on the transfer. Maybe after the band finishes up their sessions, Jim will get a chance to respond to my PM about posting MP3 excerpts so folks can hear these long lost and forgotten recordings.

Great news, Dan.  This would be a terrific subject for a short documentary!
Trying to pitch the story of how this music was rescued to NPR. The advantage there would be that the music itself could be incorporated into the report.

I have some connections--I might be able to pitch it to some indie producers that routinely get items on national shows. It has worked in the past...

Edited by WD45