I Am So Psyched!

Dan Gould

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen,

I'll be sure to include the original raw file for both tracks (raw, that is, except for the sped up sampling to get it to 78 speed - or do you want to do that yourself?).

I'll also include the results with only the hiss NR and EQ'd for treble. I only sent the processed file without it being EQ'd. With the treble adjustment, the compression effect is definitely less noticeable to my ears. I also think that artifact you noticed comes from the second NR sweep.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you can do.

Edited by Dan Gould

that's fine, just give me the unprocessed one sped up to 78 on a CDR, if possible - that compressed sound won't really change a lot with EQ - I tend to be conservative in my restorations, as hiss reduction is problematic (takes a lot of music out and can leave some odd sounds) - but, anyway, look forward to receiving the 78 -

actually, Dan, I'll need it as a CDR as my internet computer is not connected to my audio computer - also, do you know when you'll be mailing the 78?

I am burning a CDR, but not as an audio CD, as a data CD (the wav files), not an audio CD which would have to be extracted back to a wav for you to do anything to it. I wasn't going to email the wav files to you-they're way too big for an email attachment.

I was planning to ship on Monday, although my wife asks an interesting question:

If I'm worried about the possibility of breakage, is it a better idea just to mail the disc with the wav files and see what you can do to them first, before shipping the 78 again?

I guess it depends on just how much better your source file will be if you can experiment with different stylus to get the best sound. I don't know. I will definitely worry about shipping, regardless of how carefully I pack. Should we err on the side of caution and let you work on the original wav file first, and see what we get, and then decide to ship the 78 if you think you can definitely get a better result with your turntable/stylus options?

it's always better to have the original source, and I use custom-made styli as well as an audiophiole turntable - however, I understand your nervousness - I would be happy to work from a CDR that's unprocessed (be aware, however, that when converted to 78 there was definitely some generational shift, depending on the quality of internal converters, etc.; even with top-notch equipment this results in some loss). As I said, I understand your nervousness with this one-of-a kind source - just let me know what you want to do -

one more question - will the data CDR play in a conventional CD player?

If you take the data CD and burn an audio CD, it will play in any CD player.

Maybe I'm off here - but when I do any editing, its from a wav file, not an audio CD. If I edit an audio CD, I have to convert or "extract" the wav file, introducing another step into the chain before you have an editable format.

So, as long as your audio PC has a disc drive, you should be able to copy a wav file (data disc) onto the hard drive and do your stuff.

Still pondering the issue of shipping ... I'll let you know when I make up my mind.

OK, I've decided to ship the 78 on Monday, via Priority Mail.

Its secured in cardboard, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside an LP box, the box is wrapped in bubble wrap, its all resting on those flaky things, with more bubble wrap and cardboard on the sides and top to provide even more shock absorption.

In short, this thing is like the pea under the princess's mattress. If something happens, it was meant to happen.

OK, I've decided to ship the 78 on Monday, via Priority Mail. 

Its secured in cardboard, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside an LP box, the box is wrapped in bubble wrap, its all resting on those flaky things, with more bubble wrap and cardboard on the sides and top to provide even more shock absorption.

In short, this thing is like the pea under the princess's mattress.  If something happens, it was meant to happen.

I usually pack everything exactly like that, if anything in the box is at all fragile.

I once sent ONE dish, to complete my daughter's set, after an unfortunate breakage, wrapped in TWO full-size blankets, having first bubble-wrapped it.

As for records, I almost always use a large box, plastic bag, twice-wrapped around the record in it's cover, bubble-wrap AND packing popcorn. It takes whoever I've sent it to, minutes to find the record and they have NEVER been broken.

Can't be too careful. I always think, paranoic as I am, that postal workers search out my packages to run through the new automated crushing machine, which I believe replaced the mallet formerly used. ;)

Edited by patricia

Great news, Dan. This would be a terrific subject for a short documentary!

Peter,

I've got two ideas in that regard:

Pitching an article to DB or Jazztimes that they could use as a sidebar to a review of Janie Harris' biography of Gene Harris.

Trying to pitch the story of how this music was rescued to NPR. The advantage there would be that the music itself could be incorporated into the report.

Congrats!!!

Any chance you could have b3-er host a 30-second sample of each side??  (Assuming you can run your turntable through your PC, etc...)

We'd all love to hear some of this thing too!!  :excited:

I sent a PM to Jim about this, since Allen's transfer is en route, but I guess Jim's a bit busy what with the recording session and all ...

Actually, there's another possibility for hearing this, though it would take a bit longer: Michael Cuscuna has told me that, if he figures out a way to do a Three Sounds Mosaic, and if there's space and the music is good, and if Gene's widow approves, he'd definitely like to include this as an earliest known recording. (And I ran it by Janie Harris and she's happy to give her consent, and she hasn't even heard it yet!)