The Yardbirds.....7 LP Vinyl box available

wolff

I've never understood why the reissues of The Yardbirds have been as chaotic as they have, compared to other British Invasion bands. They recorded for EMI in England, so why has it been so hard to obtain a simple complete set of their output, either as a single box or as a series of CDs?

Isn't it more accurate to say they recorded for Columbia? I suspect the problem is the relationship of EMI to Columbia (which differed in the US and UK, right?) and then the involvement of their manager Giorgio Gomelsky? The recording with Sonny Boy Williamson was originally on Fontana in UK and Mercury in US, I think.

All the material in the set is from the Gomelsky period. The post-Gomelsky stuff is held by EMI, and was issued on EMI CDs.

Mike

Mike, it is my recollection that although in the US their music was released on Epic, a Columbia subsidiary, in the UK it was recorded for EMI. It may be that the EMI label was Columbia, not to be confused with the US Columbia which was known in the UK in the 60s as CBS.

I remember that EMI's deal with Dave Clark was that he would own the masters after three years, and perhaps EMI cut a similar deal with Gomelski. Still, I think you will agree that regardless of who owns the material, its release in the US has been a mess over the years.

original band was clapton - Jeff beck was next I think - and than Beck and Page together for a little while, and than Page - I may be wrong on this -

Clem - I love their Sun reissues, have many of the CDs (in excellent sound) - I think there was a time when Sun was in something of a limbo, and than things got tight and the lawyers got involved - however, I'm probabaly condensing a lot of history here -

Lead guitarist sequence is correct, but Clapton was a replacement himself, for original member Top Topham.

Yardbirds issue listing here:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/yardbird_se...iscography.html

EMI history info here:

http://www.ketupa.net/emi2.htm

Columbia (EMI) issue listing here:

http://www.chartwatch.co.uk/TopTen/labels/lab142.htm

Mike

wolff--

i'd be VERY surprised if this set was mastered from analog sources...

Me too.

Not real intersted in it myself. Just thought I'd post it, as vinyl boxes are rare these days. Maybe I'll read more about this set as people buy it.

Some nice single analog LP"s would be right up Sundazed's alley.

Edited by wolff

I love the Yardbirds - Clapton was, to my way of thinking, the least of their guitarists, rhythmically unimaginative if techically "authentic" at the beginning. Page was better, was experimenting with some "modal" ideas," but ultimately was very limited. The best, however, was Beck - his stuff I can listen to over and over -

Edited by AllenLowe

Q: anyone know the real story behind Charly's former relationship w/Sun? for a while anyway, Chuck had a pretty class operation-- Jerry Lee box, Sun Blues Years box, etc.

I bought the Sun Blues box about seven years ago from a local record-store owner, who told me Decca (?) had gotten involved and had seized a number of the Sun Blues Charly boxes on what he seemed to believe were thin legal grounds. Not to say that Charly hasn't been on thin legal ground as well... anyways, it was all quite mysterious, and he really played up his "connection" for getting the Charly sets. The Sun box is indeed a marvel--gave me my intro to Joe Hill Louis and others.

I'm in agreement about Bloomfield/Beck/Hendrix, though the jazz guys, in general, have no use for them. Peter Green I love - listen to the Fleetwood Mack BBC sessions - he may be the ONLY of the rock guys who, when concentrating, has the rhythmic subtlety of the pervious black blues players - Bloomfield came close, too, and I'm a Bloomfield fanatic (the guy could also do a convincing Blind Blake and Merle Travis). I've been emailing Al Kooper, who's supposedly working on a Bloomfield box. Some later Peter Green, when he's trying to be a "hard rocker," falls short, in my opinion. Love Pat hare, Willie Johnson, Guitar Slim ( a real pioneer), Sumlin, and the guy who used to play for Bobby Bland - forget his name but his '50s stuff is a very original take on T-Bone Walker. There's also a bunch of anonymous session guys who recorded for High records in the late '50s-early '60s who were masters, though I don't knpw names. Buddy Guy in the late 1960s early '70s (I saw him in NYC circa 1970 and he was incredible - check him out in the film Festival Express, because that was the Buddy Guy I saw) - can still play great, but the fire is not always going. Clapton, as I mentioned, I've always found a bit dull if dedicated; even some of the Cream stuff, listening now, sounds stiff to me. One thing not mentioned enough is that the rock guys, beginning with Bloomfield/Butterfield essentially, really revived the electric blues, gave life to a music that was starting to sag into formula (and I also like the much-maligned Big Brother and the Holding Company, a group that was rough but real) - also have to mention Graham Bond -

Edited by AllenLowe

• 2 weeks later...