THE RETURN OF QUARTET OUT

JSngry

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, & Ray, I hope that what you all are discovering is that the term "avant-garde" is pretty much a meaningless term when it comes to this type of music. It's a critical term, not a musical one, and it's relevance is more towards placing the music in a historical/sociological "position" than in defining what it is that's going on with the music itself. As a result, the "popular" image of this music is that of a bunch of alienated, self-absorbed sociopaths doing their damndest to destroy everything in the world through unrestrained musical chaos.

Which sometimes is the case. But not always. Quartet Out might have been considered "avant-garde" 35 years ago, but nowadays? Not really. We're just four guys who play what we like how we feel it, and let it be whatever it's gonna be at the time. Same as any other jazz, really. Nothing "intimidating" about that concept (or shouldn't be), not really. It's what jazz is supposed to be about, right?

Thing is, we're not alone. Plenty of other people are doing the same thing (well, not exactly the same thing, but more or less so), and the term "avant-garde" too often scares people off because of the non-musical implications. You know, it's Anarchy Music, Crazy People Music, and shit like that. Well, maybe yes, and maybe no. All I can tell you is that we, and the countless other musicians like us, older and younger alike, aren't intentionally trying to "destroy" anything except the notion that we have to be anything other than who and what we are, and that a big part of that who and what includes joy, fun, a love of life, and the sheer ecstatic intoxication that comes from being in the moment as fully as we can possibly be at any given time. Yeah, there's baggage (there's always baggage...), but you can't lose it until you confront it. And losing it, well, hey, that ain't nothing but laughing (or screaming) to keep from crying - oldest game in the book.

"Avant-garde"? Just what the hell is that anyways? :g:g:g

post-13-1112366448.jpg

Wazzup w/the black vents?

Ya' know, I'm almost at the age where that kind of thing would appeal to me, especially if it was in a cheap polyester. Almost...

Pete actually looks good in his, though. I'll show him the picture, tell him who did it, and give him your home address. I'm sure he'll want to contact you personally.

You were plaaning an extended vacation, weren't you? :g:g:g:g:g

We're just four guys who play what we like how we feel it, and let it be whatever it's gonna be at the time. 

Don't be so modest.

You are also four guys, in green blazers and white shoes. :tup

Actually, I thought that the reflectors on Pete's shoes in the original photo were quite striking. But hell, what do I know about fashion - I'm actually digging the lime green jacket as it appears on Gallio. Linen, right?

Al, & Ray, I hope that what you all are discovering is that the term "avant-garde" is pretty much a meaningless term when it comes to this type of music. It's a critical term, not a musical one,

Oh, hell, I know that, it's just such an easy shorthand. I bet that most of what I listen to would have been considered "outside" at some point - like Bird and Diz getting the traditionalists' panties in a wad sixty years ago.

But isn't it also true that a-g is any jazz played without a piano? :lol:

Actually, I thought that the reflectors on Pete's shoes in the original photo were quite striking.

What the.... Holy cow, that IS in the original picture!!! I thought that was one of couw’s doings! I gotta ask Pete where he gets those hip-lookin’ shoes!!! :g

When I use the term “avant-garde,” it’s really nothing more than the accountant in me trying to compartmentalize things so that they make sense. In other words, I wish I could just label it “music” and leave it at that, but then I don’t know what else to call it:

Crazy people music?

Crazy people music?

Crazy people music?

Crazy people music?

Crazy people music?

Or all of the above?

Music made by and for crazy people!!! In lime green leisure suits! :P

Proud to be crazy! :tup:party:

Edited by Big Al

WOW! It's Pico and Santa in GREEN and white!

Great show! Al, Joe, Jim: sent an email to all of you.

Looking forward to news from the "Church of the Friendly Ghost"(!)

The new club is more "sound" than the old methinks...

best to all!

Edited by rostasi

Note to Big Al: You've seen Quartet Out. Later this year you can come up here and catch Organissimo. Then you'll be not just the only person on the board, but in the entire UNIVERSE (AFAIK) who can make the claim of having seen both bands.

Not that that means a damn thing, but hey, you gotta have something!

:g

Note to Big Al: You've seen Quartet Out. Later this year you can come up here and catch Organissimo....

If the power doesn't go out again.

:w

Thanks to the lime green suits, we didn't have to worry about that! :lol:

I'll be in touch with you guys about the annual summer trek to Michigan, though!

damn. I was on my way home last night and asked myself, do I wanna stop by that gig or call whatsername up for a margarita at our favorite little dive. I regret to say now, I dove.

nevertheless, a word about QO (aka Queer Oozing). maybe they should change their name to Quart of Oil cause everytime I hear them it's like getting my fluids change. I always feel like someone's opened both door of the gas chamber and let a whole bunch of fresh air wash out the stench of every day music.

I know what you mean about dennis. he has such a mad butcher approach to the drums, flailing and flailing and every cut comes out perfectly...whether prime rib or rump roast...it is as he hears it in its purest energy form.

after all, isnt that the natural end to all our creative pursuits...pure energy? isnt that what we all strive for, to get to the point where the bibbling and scribbling, the pondering and rehearsing, fade into, or should I say fold back into the place it all came from...the electrical and chemical responses of the brain formed by the etherial, infinite, timeless desires of the soul?

great jazz transcends the physical and mental requirements of the melodies, harmonies, et.al.. though most people (sadly, I fear, an increasing number) have difficulty zeroing in on the frequency, QO (otherwise known as Quantam Orizons) has the capacity to broadcast on a hypersonic level to all who strive to tune between the cracks and even jam a number of the lesser frequencies across the spectrum.

jam on, QO (aka ?)

the end.

here's one of QO at white rock lake