What Are You Watching

Just to make sure, are you talking about the UK version or the American one ?

Sorry; the American one.

Ah. For years I avoided the American version (even though I'm a fan of Steve Carell) then a couple of years ago we were at the in-laws' for Thanksgiving or something and some channel was having an Office marathon. I watched five or six of them in a row and became a big fan of the show. A different "vibe" from the British original, to be sure, but I like it.

The US one is a bit too sitcommish to my liking, but in a way they were smart to do their own thing instead of trying to replicate the original. We had a local version of the show with the boss character trying to imitate Ricky Gervais and it was awful.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I tried the second one, but only for a few minutes. It's just too painful to watch; whenever Carell is on screen, I'm in 'permanent wince' mode. I'll have to try the British version.

From my experience, I found that I've warmed up to or even very much enjoyed shows that I initially disliked based on the first shows of their first season. It often takes a while for an actor to work out the kinks and get more comfortable in the character's skin. When it's an ensemble piece like "The Office" where there are many characters interacting on a regular basis, it often takes a while to get a rhythm going, "finding" your character and working out how they would interact with others . Two examples come to mind. When "Friends" first came on, I HATED it but my wife insisted on watching it each week. I especially hated the Chandler character and found the whole show's attempt at humor to be forced and weak. Once things got worked out and settled down, the show became pretty funny and enjoyable for me. Another one was "Seinfeld". I'm a fan of the show but recently saw some reruns from the first season and realy didn't like them that much.

I only knew "The Office" from the British version so during the first season of the American version, I almost felt resentful that someone else would try and pull off these characters which, at best, would be weak and pale imitations. Even worse, the first several shows used the same scripts and stories as the British version if I'm not mistaken. I felt the same way you now do, I was wincing and squirming watching those episodes. I stuck with it and now it's a show that I don't want to miss. Check out some shows from the latter half of the first season or try something out from the second season. It had a rough start like many shows do but it's become a very funny show.

Edited by mikelz777

Dexter S3 E1

Wasn't expecting much, US tv series often hit the skids in S3, one trip too many to the well.

That said I thought it got off to a strong start, John Lithgow as the villian and D's untimely crash are going to spice things up.

Flash Forward E2

I'm really getting into this new show.

House and Lie To Me.

I thought House was very good indeed but LTM might be in danger of slipping into cliche. The father-daughter relationship sub theme reminds me of Shark, which met an untimely and surprising death by corporate axe. I was astonished, if James Woods can't hold the viewers interest for 40 minutes then I don't know who can.