Duke Ellington : Never No Lament: The Blanton-We

Bright Moments

Thanks for the cool pix Lon!!! I don't think I've ever seen those photos, nor a photo of Harry Lim! What is going on in those photos? Duke with the Condon gang? Max? Bud? That's a record I'd like to hear! The guitar sure has the National style, though it doesn't look like a steel guitar.

Weren't many of those Nationals painted with Hawaiian themes?

Lon - thanks for the info! Great photos - would love to be a fly on that wall!!

WD45: Weren't many of those Nationals painted with Hawaiian themes?

I haven't seen many photos of those, but you are correct. It sure looks like a National.

Hi Mark,

I thought I knew more about this, here's what I've learned from one of the photos captions online:

private jam session, NYC, August 1939

Great Photos Lon! :tup

Now, here is where it gets weird...I recalled that Chick Webb died in 1939...allmusic says...Jun 16, 1939 in Baltimore, MD! :blink:

i took the plunge!

:)

Let us know how the sound it to your ears! I only listened to it on a listening post at a B&N and it was so bad (And I can easily listen to Acoustic recordings) I thought I would never get it...think I posted about this awhile back, just wonder if some of the early batches had something wrong with them...Batches??? What do I think these are, cookies?

Ber, there are definitely two different events photographed, and the one with Lim was the one I found with that description.

I don't know, I've heard the Dreyfus, admittedly not on my system, and it seemed more "polite" to me (to a fault) but I'm not sure I would prefer it. . . . I like the RCA transfers a lot.

Ber, there are definitely two different events photographed, and the one with Lim was the one I found with that description.

I don't know, I've heard the Dreyfus, admittedly not on my system, and it seemed more "polite" to me (to a fault) but I'm not sure I would prefer it. . . . I like the RCA transfers a lot.

Just checked out the photos again...Man, look how drenched in sweat they were! :o You have to be jazz crazy to have a jam session after a long day and sweat like a pig! :tup

Never heard the Dreyfus set. I just held on to the old RCA set...it's not all that bad...

i took the plunge!

Let us know how the sound it to your ears! I only listened to it on a listening post at a B&N and it was so bad (And I can easily listen to Acoustic recordings) I thought I would never get it...think I posted about this awhile back, just wonder if some of the early batches had something wrong with them...Batches??? What do I think these are, cookies?

:lol:

i'll give a full report!

• 1 month later...

i took the plunge!

:lol:

i'll give a full report!

well i just finished disc 1 (see my thread about music backlogs! :P ) and it sounded fine to me!

on to disc 2!! :)

I like the sound of the Centennial box and Never No Lament is from the same masters. I agree Jack The Bear has some problems but NOT enough to keep people away. FYI, Steve Lasker (Centennial box engineer) redid Jack The Bear for the BMG "Centennial Collection" (cd/dvd combo) and it sounds dandy. I will eventually burn a new disc to replace the earlier one.

That means you must have listened to Jack the Bear by now.  If it sounds fine then they've drastically improved the sound from the Centennial Box.

That means you must have listened to Jack the Bear by now.   If it sounds fine then they've drastically improved the sound from the Centennial Box.

It's been said a bunch of times already, but the sound is fine as long as you're not too sensitive to high-end buzz.

Guy

I like the sound of the Centennial box and Never No Lament is from the same masters. I agree Jack The Bear has some problems but NOT enough to keep people away. FYI, Steve Lasker (Centennial box engineer) redid Jack The Bear for the BMG "Centennial Collection" (cd/dvd combo) and it sounds dandy. I will eventually burn a new disc to replace the earlier one.

i went back and relistened to jack the bear and yes, the buzz is there. it is not the same way for the rest of the 3 disc box and it is not as offensive as one would think.

i am happy to have this music in my collection!! :)