Baseball 2005

So Conte is pleading in the Balco case. Does this mean the end is near for Barry? No word on testifying against anyone, just that he's going to plead to one count of steroid distribution and one count of money laundering. But I have to wonder if he's saying anything about Bonds.

Meanwhile, I just saw on Sportscenter that the Giants have become the first North American sports team to win 10,000 games? I'd have figured it would be the Yanks, but maybe the Giants have been that much more consistent over the years?

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankee's pitching situation is starting to get ugly. Brown may be back within a week or ten days, but which iteration of KB returns remains to be seen. Even if he comes back strong, his back is so touchy, he may not last long. Pavano is at least three weeks from any thought of a return and Wright seems to have disappeared. Wang, I'm afraid, is done for the year. Add all this up and it spells trouble...big trouble. Frankly, with only two bona fide major leaguers in the starting rotation right now, and neither one of them pitching very consistently, the Yanks will be lucky to play .500 ball for awhile. The timing could not be worse. They are desperate to add a reliable center fielder before the July 31st trading deadline, but their pitching may need enough shoring up that they'll wind up having to dance with the gal that brung them. My Lordy me, just when things were starting to look up.

Up over and out.

....Meanwhile, I just saw on Sportscenter that the Giants have become the first North American sports team to win 10,000 games?  I'd have figured it would be the Yanks, but maybe the Giants have been that much more consistent over the years?

Well, the Giants have been around for a lot longer than the Yankees, and remember that John McGraw's NY Giants won a hell of a lot of games the first part of the 20th Century.

The team next on the list to 10,000? The Cubbies! :blink:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

The Yankee's pitching situation is starting to get ugly.  Brown may be back within a week or ten days, but which iteration of KB returns remains to be seen.  Even if he comes back strong, his back is so touchy, he may not last long.  Pavano is at least three weeks from any thought of a return and Wright seems to have disappeared.  Wang, I'm afraid, is done for the year.  Add all this up and it spells trouble...big trouble.  Frankly, with only two bona fide major leaguers in the starting rotation right now, and neither one of them pitching very consistently, the Yanks will be lucky to play .500 ball for awhile.  The timing could not be worse.  They are desperate to add a reliable center fielder before the July 31st trading deadline, but their pitching may need enough shoring up that they'll wind up having to dance with the gal that brung them.  My Lordy me, just when things were starting to look up.

Up over and out.

Well, I hear that Brown may start Monday in Texas, so he might be a bit closer than you thought ... but as you say, he can go down again at any moment. And its not like the pitching options out there are too good, unless they can swing a deal for Burnett of Florida. And with his injury record, he'd probably get hurt in his first start. :o

:g

Yanks eschew Burnett but go with another Marlin, the recently deposed, ex-Pinstriper, Al Leiter. Not what I'd call a Cadillac move considering that Leiter has been lit up all year long, but it sure beats going with either of the tomato cans they picked up last week from the Padres. I suppose Leiter could wind up being a pleasant surprise, but that's gotta be a long shot at this point. It will be interesting to see how he does again the Red Sox tomorrow night at Fenway. Talk about a baptism by fire.

Speaking of the Sox, I'm wondering if American league teams are starting to catch up to Matt Clement. His last few outings have been pretty shaky. Also, I've heard two different commentators (Rick Sutcliffe and Larry Bowa) say that Curt Shilling is not close to 100%. They both said he's not yet able to push off the pitching rubber properly and that he's throwing more with his arm than his legs. If that's the case, it seems like a calculated risk for the Sox to be using him the way they're using him.

Up over and out.

Speaking of the Sox, I'm wondering if  American league teams are starting to catch up to Matt Clement.  His last few outings have been pretty shaky. 

I wouldn't say that just yet. He just had no command and walks killed him. And as far as his year has gone, from today's Globe:

Clement has been the Sox' most consistent starter this season, but not without an occasional implosion. Among his 19 starts, he's now had three duds: April 26 vs. Baltimore (4 2/3 IP, seven runs), June 7 at St. Louis (4 IP, seven runs), and yesterday (2 2/3 IP, six runs). In those three starts, he's 0-2 with a 15.89 ERA. In his other 16 starts, he's 10-1 with a 2.99 ERA.

If he'd been pitching poorly recently, they'd have mentioned that. Everyone has a bad start once in a while.

'cept for Al Leiter, who only manages good starts once in a while. You're right about a baptism by fire.

Man, I can't take it anymore: Rangers almost blow a seven-run lead yesterday, the third time in the last five games that they almost blew a big ninth-inning lead.

Would you believe the hotels around here are booked solid for the Yankees series here this week? Unbelieveable! Who'd wanna travel that far to watch two mediocre teams with mammoth payrolls duke it out?

FWIW, I hope my guys jump all over Brown for ten runs in the first inning! :P:g

I'm in St. Louis for 5 days to visit my sister and just got home from my third straight game and 3 game sweep of the once surging Astros. Chris Carpenter threw a complete game 3 hiter in beating Roger Clemens. The Card's pitching staff gave up a total of 4 runs in 31 innings against them this weekend. I'll be going to the Cards/Brewers game tomorrow night, hoping Matt Morris will continue his comeback :excited: back!!! The new stadium is coming along nicely as well! Man, I love baseball!!!!

m-

WOW! Al Leiter for President. What an effort. If he can pitch anywhere near tonight's level, he's going to be a godsend. But, the most important thing is the Yanks take three of four from the Sox in their barn and are now only 1/2 game out. The offense is really percolating. If they can get some decent pitching while they wait for their rotation to reconstitute itself...well...I have to be feeling pretty good about their prospects.

Up over and out.

WOW!  Al Leiter for President.  What an effort.  If he can pitch anywhere near tonight's level, he's going to be a godsend.  But, the most important thing is the Yanks take three of four from the Sox in their barn and are now only 1/2 game out.  The offense is really percolating.  If they can get some decent pitching while they wait for their rotation to reconstitute itself...well...I have to be feeling pretty good about their prospects.

Up over and out.

Enjoy the moment, because I'm not sure which is less likely: reconstituting the rotation or Leiter continuing to impersonate Andy Pettite. This is the guy who walked SIXTY in EIGHTY innings and allowed batters to hit .300 off of him, and that was in a big park with great defense. No way Leiter keeps this up. And you're still down a pitcher even with Brown back on Monday. Be real interesting to see which Brown shows up in Texas.

The Sox suck right now, but with Tampa coming to Fenway, the Yanks in Texas and Baltimore at Minnesota, I think we could actually hold on to first this week.

ahem, until you drop 4 this week to us at the ball mall.  :g

We'll see. You do know that Hermanson was a joke with the Sox, right? You do know that he bounced all over, in fact, before stumbling into this job? I don't think he's the second coming of Rivera.

BTW, is Contreras lined up to face the Sox? You might want to consult his time with the Yanks to understand how he handled the pressure ...

ahem, until you drop 4 this week to us at the ball mall.   :g

We'll see. You do know that Hermanson was a joke with the Sox, right? You do know that he bounced all over, in fact, before stumbling into this job? I don't think he's the second coming of Rivera.

BTW, is Contreras lined up to face the Sox? You might want to consult his time with the Yanks to understand how he handled the pressure ...

First off, we could both wallpaper entire rooms with baseball cards of players who came into their own after stumbling around for a while. Actually, The Cubs alone could wallpaper their entire locker room with players that became great as soon as they left "the friendly confines." Hermannson is doing well by us now, thank you very much.

I admit, Contreras is awful, but he's the worst of the five, and our relief is getting deeper and deeper by the day. So, fine, it'll be three out of four. No sweat. But if you honestly think you guys have a chance at winning this series, Dan, you're delusional.

But we'll see. I might very well end up with a copy of this message PM'd to me with the words "nyah, nyah, nyah" underneath it come next monday.

We'll see, won't we?

The Sox suck right now, but with Tampa coming to Fenway, the Yanks in Texas and Baltimore at Minnesota, I think we could actually hold on to first this week.

You're kidding, right? Don't count on my boys for anything right now. Except blowing ninth-inning leads. They're REEEEEEAL good at that right now! :angry:

What? :huh: I have to be the one to mention that the Yankees are back in first place? Well, they are......

Did anyone see that poor dear baby Kenny Rogers having to control his rage as another camera focused on him today? He sooo wanted to push the camera off the cameraman's shoulder, but the guy was only half a foot shorter than Kenny, not a full foot shorter, so he didn't this time....

You're kidding, right? Don't count on my boys for anything right now. Except blowing ninth-inning leads. They're REEEEEEAL good at that right now! :angry:

Well at the moment, I figured, with the Yankee pitching staff and the Rangers offense, they ought to win two out of three, and the Sox ought to sweep the Devil Rays.

But what the fuck do I know????? :angry::angry::angry:

Well at the moment, I figured, with the Yankee pitching staff and the Rangers offense, they ought to win two out of three, and the Sox ought to sweep the Devil Rays.

But what the fuck do I know????? :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Yeah, but ain't that why we stick with baseball, cuz we rarely never know in July who is going to win it all? :cool:

The Yankees and Red Sox look to have a lot of holes this year...IF Sosa ever comes around (His home run swing yesterday looked like he had fixed what has been broken all year) and the Orioles get an A.J. Burnett or Beckett, they may be the team to win the East....

Has anyone else noticed that ESPN.com has quietly put most of it's baseball content behind the Insider portion(Pay in other words) of their site? Gammons is there now as well. <_< I hate to pay for something that was free before, but the Altanta paper has done the same thing with almost all their baseball content, may have to bite the bullet...any good free baseball sites out there???

Edited by BERIGAN

Has anyone else noticed that ESPN.com has quietly put most of it's baseball content behind the Insider portion(Pay in other words) of their site? Gammons is there now as well.

Yeah, I was going to post about this. Totally pisses me off, even though I knew it was coming ... I mean, why put the other people behind the "Insider" wall and leave Gammons, your one bona fide star reporter/commentator, free?

Fuck 'em - I don't need no stinking commentary and B.S. rumors masquerading as "Insider" reporting. Its all sound and fury, signifying nothing, and I'd rather half the time that I spend on that shit and just read about it when something actually happens.

Believe me, brother, I hate this as much as you do! I mean, my guys fuckin' HELPED the Yankees into first place, short of laying out the red carpet for 'em.

And Chan Ho's on the mound tonight! I predict we'll be in third place before this night's over!

Believe me, brother, I hate this as much as you do! I mean, my guys fuckin' HELPED the Yankees into first place, short of laying out the red carpet for 'em.

And Chan Ho's on the mound tonight! I predict we'll be in third place before this night's over!

I predict they'll end the season behind the Mariners. :g