AOTW McLean 'Let Freedom Ring'

Is his snare even ON on this recording? Sure doesn't sound like it to these ears!

Hey, there's a part in "Melody for Melonae" right around the 7:00 mark where Walter lays out and Jackie goes it alone with Herbie & Billy for about 45 seconds. Pure bliss!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more, regarding the high-end squeals: why, oh WHY, did McLean kill "I'll Keep Loving You" with one of those squeals? I guess the answer lies in the passion behind the playing, particularly in light of what JSngry said about the friendship between Bud & Jackie (which I heretofore had not known). But it's still grating to these ears! :unsure::w

I gotta turn the treble down when I listen to that album, and that is not because of Billy. He had the standard rivet setup, but for some reason it just cuts through everything else.

That's the whole recording/mixing/digital remastering conundrum coming into play, which goes to what I'm saying about learning to "translate" a record to be able to hear what was really played and how it really sounded. People who either play a lot of gigs or hear a lot of live music are at a distinct advantage in this regard, I think, because they have a better "reference point".

I remember the first time I heard Joe Henderson live. 1980, and I was 24. I was expectingthis HUGE tenorsound. But it wasn't that at all. The guy had a full sound, sure, and it projected extremely well, but one thing it was not was loud. Surprised the hell outta me, but when I went back and listened to the records, I began to discern how the recording process can create it's own auditory "illusions".

Same thing hearing Eddie Gladden with Dexter - live, there was this HUGE, glorious "SWOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH" of cymbals all damn night. I listen to the records, and it's not there, not like that. Not even close.

So yeah, records need auditory translating sometimes, especially when it's a less than stellar digital remaster of an analog original.

Is his snare even ON on this recording? Sure doesn't sound like it to these ears!

I'm late to this thread but as I posted on an old thread, Billie told me that on LFR all he had was a tom-tom and one cymbal, period. No snare, no bass drum, no hi-hat, a tom-tom and a cymbal. So, this "standard rivet set-up" stuff is bull, at least on this recording. Listen again, closely.

As far as playing loud, Billy didn't. I was fortunate enough to hear Billie whenever he was in town. I lived down the street from his community music center, The World Stage. I had the privilege of seeing Billy play in several settings at the World Stage; with Jackie McLean, a duet with Max Roach, Pharoah Sanders and Juno Lewis, etc. Billy was always swinging and smiling but never loud. When I think of Billy Higgins the adjectives that come to mind are swinging, happy and tasteful.

Billy took the time to give my 12 year old son free drum lessons. He was a sweet and giving person. A lot of young musicians were nurtured at the World Stage including "B-Sharp" and "Black Note". And the stories he would tell! His main man was "Howdy Dooty", Lee Morgan.

When I bought this CD around 1990 (the McMastered version that I still listen to), I thought that it sounded quite a bit clearer than the '70s vintage LP that it replaced, with the additional virtues of having no pops, clicks, and groove noise. I love CDs; any sonic sacrifices (which, for better or worse, I don't often hear) are more than made up, for me, by my ability to play the recording often and with abandon. That's especially important with staples like "Let Freedom Ring".

I had first heard Jackie McLean on some Charlie Parker and some Miles records, on a duet record with Gary Bartz called "Ode To Super", and on Kenny Dorham's "Matador". I played "Matador" a lot, especially for its long and burnin' version of "Melanie" (called "Melody for Melanae" on "Let Freedom Ring') with Kenny, Jackie, and especially Bobby Timmons "tearing it up" during their respective solo turns; it's my favorite Timmons solo for sure!

So then I had to get "Let Freedom Ring". The Melanie/Melanae tune did not move me quite as much as the version on the Dorham record, but "Let Freedom Ring" hangs together much better than "Matador". Jackie McLean also speaks more boldly in this fantastic quartet setting (and I dig his ecstatic "squeals"). "Let Freedom Ring" remained my favorite McLean session till I got McLean's Mosaic 1964-66 set many years later.

And thanks for your great post, Cali. :tup

Great choice. 'Basher' eh? :wacko: Heresy !! :angry: Saw Billy H on quite a few occasions and I can vouch that he was anything but. Completely the opposite, in fact. Incredible sense of time, superb taste.

This is one of those marvellous Blue Notes where the 'holy triumvirate' of soul, taste and intense drive are beautifully balanced. This was the start of an incredible run of 'adventurous' Jackie McLean Blue Notes (extending into GM's 'Evolution') which have long been favourites for me. Good prompt to bring the vinyl out and give it a spin this afternoon. Further thoughts will then follow.

Got this one some ten years ago or so, when I stumbled on a nicely priced TOCJ. First time listening was done whily lying down to sleep on a living room floor after a friendly evening. Me and a pal put on this disk and listened while lying there in utter darkness, we were both wide awake all the while.

Melonae then as now struck as one big breath. Jackie's intensity is like an injection of pure caffeine and gives you no rest. Only when Davis takes over the time for breathing out all the cropped up air has come. Fantastic how the tension shifts from frantically outward to restrained and almost pretty. Fits like ying and yang. Higgins mutates like the millipede he is underneath.

The Powell ballad mixes these approaches more in real time, with Davis playing almost too beautifully and Jackie wailing over it like a big fat dragonfly, fiercely attacking the air on a lazy summer day.

Fantastic album, glad I took it out again.

So, this "standard rivet set-up" stuff is bull, at least on this recording. Listen again, closely.

I have never heard Let Freedom Ring, I was ONLY talking about Go, which wasn't that hard to figure out.

But JK, the whole discussion revolves around LET FREEDOM RING! I'm sure you can appreciate how your comments were taken out of context!

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING

I'll bet that in the studio fo GO! that Billy wasn't at all loud. I'll also bet that Alfred had Rudy record him a little hotter than usual, and that the digital remastering accentuates that.

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING RECORDING

I'll bet that in the studio fo GO! that Billy wasn't at all loud. I'll also bet that Alfred had Rudy record him a little hotter than usual, and that the digital remastering accentuates that.

Yeah it is! I’ve got it on right now, and while the spirit and the style of playing are the same, the mastering is definitely night and day! Billy’s recorded EXCEPTIONALLY hot on GO!