Email Scams

Oops...sorry; I see you've already received the check. I would advise you not to cash it, or if you've already deposited it, don't send any money (or the goods) to anyone. Contact your bank immediately. Above all DON'T SEND ANY MONEY TO THE CONMAN!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. We thought it was a scam which is why I've held onto the check. Good thing I didn't deposit it, watch it clear, then send money to her, only to find out a few weeks down the road that I just lost out.

Hey, what can I say. I'm naive, but common sense told me this couldn't be right.

Not a scam, but a puzzling message showed up today in my email box:

Before its too late make your peace with GOD, and make sure the ones you love do also.

Accept him.

Repent.

Get baptized.

And have a nice eternity.

In they'll we can bluff as always eighteenth grandmother theirfore

barb is gotten and degas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject line on this message was "Get On the Right Road". Is it possible they meant the "Far Right Road"?

:unsure:

• 3 years later...

SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.

I felt very sorry and bad for you, that your life is going to end like this if you don't comply, i was paid to eliminate you and I have to do it within10 days. Someone you call your friend wants you dead by all means, and the person havespent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told us that he wants you dead at any cost.

Meanwhile, I have sent my men to track you down and they have carried out all the necessary investigation needed for the operation, but I ordered them to stop for a while and not to strike immediately because I just felt something good and sympathetic about you. I decided to contact you first and know why somebody will want you dead by all means. Right now my men are monitoring you, their eye sare on you, and even the place you think is safer for you to hide might not be. Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? It is up to you. Get back to me now if you are ready to enter deal with me, I mean life trade, who knows, and I might just spear your life, $12,000 is all you need to spend.

You will first of all pay $4,000 then I will send the tape of the person that want you dead to you and when the tape gets to you, you will pay the remaining $8,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will have no choice but to carry on the assignment after all I have already being paid before now.

Warning: Do not think of contacting the police or even tell anyone because I will extend it to any member of your family espacialy the childrens since you are aware that somebody wants you dead, and the person knows some members of your family as well. For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action.

Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact: bulletpoint_target@ubbi.com

Mr.Anthonio Benito.

(must be Tony Bennett's mendacious brother!)

I felt very sorry and bad for you, that your life is going to end like this if you don't comply, i was paid to eliminate you and I have to do it within10 days. Someone you call your friend wants you dead by all means, and the person havespent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told us that he wants you dead at any cost.

Meanwhile, I have sent my men to track you down and they have carried out all the necessary investigation needed for the operation, but I ordered them to stop for a while and not to strike immediately because I just felt something good and sympathetic about you. I decided to contact you first and know why somebody will want you dead by all means. Right now my men are monitoring you, their eye sare on you, and even the place you think is safer for you to hide might not be. Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? It is up to you. Get back to me now if you are ready to enter deal with me, I mean life trade, who knows, and I might just spear your life, $12,000 is all you need to spend.

You will first of all pay $4,000 then I will send the tape of the person that want you dead to you and when the tape gets to you, you will pay the remaining $8,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will have no choice but to carry on the assignment after all I have already being paid before now.

Warning: Do not think of contacting the police or even tell anyone because I will extend it to any member of your family espacialy the childrens since you are aware that somebody wants you dead, and the person knows some members of your family as well. For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action.

Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact: bulletpoint_target@ubbi.com

Mr.Anthonio Benito.

Wow. Appealing to fear instead of greed. Seems to me the scam would work best if you targeted your mailing to the members of Paranoids R Us. They just might believe their lives are in danger.

Mr.Anthonio Benito.

Nice, an email death threat. Did you contact the FBI? Probably nothing they can do, except maybe reassure you that 15 million other folks have received the same threat.

Edited by Brownian Motion

"Buyer" wrote:

hello cary ralston,

the check as been send to you on 27th of april i have confirm it ok pls i will want you to mail me your phone number so that i will be using it to communicate with you .

pls i will be expecting your mail so soon ok.

thanks,

"buyer"

"Buyer",

I can be reached at <<work cell phone number>>. Unfortunately, I will be out of town beginning Tuesday, May 3, returning Monday, May 9. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss details.

Thank you "buyer".

Cary

"Buyer",

I received a check from <name on check> in Eugene OR today. Is this your client? I will be out of town for the next week and will be unable to fulfill your request until my return.

Please accept my apologies; however, I will not do anything with this check until I hear from you.

Thank you "Buyer".

Today I receive a check from someone in Oregon in the amount of $2,500!!! ??? It is what looks like a payroll check from a company called Qchex Check Delivery Service. No call from the buyer yet.

Strange that she would trust me with her money, no?

What the hell? This is my first time using Craig's List...

Scam- if you didn't use your real address or cell number- tell him you cashed it and spent everything and he's a sucker for mailing it etc. If you did- give it to the FBI or local police or something.

For Craig's list- I use a specific email which can be easily deleted and never use any personal numbers. I don't trust anyone. Sad to say- it takes one butthole to screw things up for you.

• 1 year later...

It's bad enough when you receive one of these, now I have the "good fortune" to have one sent in my name! This weekend, I was getting panic emails from all over the world about this one, (even from Rome). In the letter, the country is changed each time -- this copy is what Argentina wound up getting. What a world we live in. :unsure:

Dear Provincial.

I send greetings to you and to all the Fathers in Buenos Aires. You are always in our Prayers. I am writing on behalf of Sr Stella Maria Rosaleen the Provincial Bursar of the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. She has told me Sr Maria Agnes O'Reilly working with their Mission Hospital in Africa is currently stranded in Argentina after she over used the limit of her Visa card. And because she does not have a bank account of her own in Argentina the Sisters her do not have a quick safe means of sending the amount of Money she urgently require. Sr Stella Maria Rosaleen has given me a check of US$200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand Dollars) which she told me is equivalent to Seven Hundred Sixty Thousand Pesos (ARS$760,000).

I request you to proceed and give Sr Maria Agnes O'Reilly AR$760,000, and then you will let me know how I can wire the US$200,000 to your bank account in Buenos Aires. You can contact Sr Stella Maria at [ ] or Sr Maria Agnes O'Reilly at [ ] and I will also ask Sr Stella Maria inform Sr Maria Agnes to contact you.

Your assistance to the Sisters is highly appreciated.

Amazing, but sad also.

Edited by Matthew

The fallen Nigerian princes and people that write notes in bad English offering to buy my sale items with a cashier's check I can just delete. Ditto announcements of my British Lottery winnings ('just give us your credit card # and a kiss, mum'). What annoys the f**ck out of me are the following:

"Friends" who only1. send gig announcements or notes telling me all about their great new CD featuring Jesus Christ on congas---without ever sending a personal note asking how I might be. Just touch base, don't use me as a promotional doormat. 2. send mass mailings of jokes, etc. after I ask them not to. I spam folder 'em and the little suckers come right back.

I basically want to use email for personal or professional messages, period. But people....................Why, I oughtta.....

Edited by fasstrack

Received today:

Good Day To You,

I am Mr.Jun Huan of HSH Nordbank AG, Hong Kong. I have an obscured business

suggestion for you.In November, 1999, Ahmad Fahmi an Indonesian,a contractor

with the Iraqi Government and also a businessman, made a time investment of

US$24.5M as secured growth funds for (60)sixty calendar months in my Branch.

This investment has matured and has been lying in our Bank reserve for the past

two years,and under the Hong Kong banking laws,any time Investment unclaimed

after three years will be turned over to the Hong Kong Government purse.

Upon maturity several notices were sent to him and no response camefrom him.

Early This year,it was later discovered that the Ahmad Fahmiand his family were

killed in a convoy attack in Musol, Iraqi on 22th Aug, 2004 After further

investigation it was also discovered that no next of kin in his official papers

including the paper work of his Bank deposit.And he also confided in me the last

time he was in my Office that no one except me knew of his deposit in my Bank.

Against this backdrop,I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin

to Ahmad Fahmi so that you will be able to receive this funds I have contacted

an Attorney that will prepare the necessary document that will back you up as

the next of kin to Ahmad Fahmi and also the rightful beneficiary to the funds.

Please endeavour to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this

issue. What is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with

your Full names,Address, direct telephone and fax numbers, age so that the

Attorney can commence his job.Reply strictly if you areinterested with the

requested information via my personal email; jjun.huan11@yahoo.com.hk to

enable the Attorney commences his job immediately.

Sincerely,

Mr.Jun Huan.

Attn,

My name is Hakeem Salem Mustang the son of Mustang Salem who was brutally

murdered during the worst crisis's that have ever affected our great country

Democratic republic of Congo.

My father was attacked by the opposition rebels but i thought he could survive

the Incident but fortunately he passed away after a couple of Days in the Congo

Central Hospital, Before he finally gave up the Ghost he called me as the only

surviving child to inform me about a Huge amount of money which he Deposited

with a security company in Accra Ghana one of the most peaceful country in

Africa as i was told by my Late Father and he gave to me all the Legal Document

including the picture of the trunk box of money which he took before he went

forth to make the Deposit with the security company.

I am currently seeking refuge at the Buduburaham refugee camp at the Volta

Region here in Accra Ghana after the death of my father I had to escape from

my country, I came to Ghana to lay claim to my Inheritance consignment trunk

box of money that was deposited by my father. Upon my arrival at the security

company, an agreement document was shown to me by the head of operations at

the security company that was well signed by my father, that on no account

should the security company release the trunk box to me until I provide to

them with a foreign partner who will help me to better my life and help me to

further my education.

I am seeking your assistance to help me claim my Inherited consignment trunk

box from the security company here in Ghana so that I can come and be with you

in your country to be able to further my education, while you will also assist

me with a good investment from the money.

almost screenplay

Edited by Serioza

• 2 months later...

Here's a new one on me:

FBI Email Alert

Mon, January 18, 2010 10:38:12 AMFrom: Federal Bureau Of Investigation <r.mmuler@fbi.gov>Add to Contacts

To:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-Terrorist and International Fraud Division.

Federal Bureau Of Investigation.

935 Pennsylvania Ave, NW

Washington, DC 20535

Attn: Beneficiary,

This is to Officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have thoroughly Investigated by the help of our Intelligence Monitoring Network System that you are having an illegal Transaction with Imposters claiming to be Prof. Charles C. Soludo of the Central Bank Of Nigeria, Mr. Patrick Aziza, Mr Frank Nweke, none officials of Oceanic Bank, none officials of Zenith Bank and imposter claiming to be the Federal Bureau Of Investigation. During our Investigation, it came to our notice that the reason why you have not received your payment is because you have not fulfill your Financial Obligation giving to you in respect of your Contract/Inheritance Payment.

So therefore, we have contacted the Federal Ministry Of Finance on your behalf and they have brought a solution to your problem by arranging your payment in total of US$800,000.00 in an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw money in anywhere of the world. You now have the lawful right to claim your fund in the ATM CARD.

Since the Federal Bureau of Investigation is involved in this transaction, all you did have to do is to be rest assured for this is 100% risk free because it is our right to protect the American Citizens. All I did want you to do is proceed and contact the ATM CARD CENTER via email for their requirements to proceed and procure your Approval Slip on your behalf which will cost you $200.00 only and note that your Approval Slip contains details of your PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN) which you will use in activating your ATM CARD in any ATM MACHINE.

CONTACT INFORMATION

NAME: MR. Paul Smith

EMAIL : paulsmithatm@gala.net

Do contact MR. Paul Smith of the ATM CARD CENTRE with your

FULL NAME:

ADDRESS:

CITY:

STATE:

ZIP CODE:

DIRECT CONTACT NUMBER:

So your files would be updated after which he will send the payment information's to you which you will use in making payment of $200.00 via Western Union Money Transfer for the procurement of your Approval Slip after which the delivery of your ATM CARD will be effected to your designated home address without any further delay.

We order you get back to this office after you open contact with the ATM SWIFT CARD CENTRE and we do await your response so we can move on with our Investigation and make sure your ATM SWIFT CARD gets to you.

YOUR SAFETY HAS BEEN GUARANTEED AS THIS TRANSACTION IS COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE AND HAS BEEN VERIFIED.

FBI Director

Robert Mueller.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the metascam scam! With an "Obama's Foundation"/UN twist...

Get Back To Me With This ID

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:27 PM

"vlm" <vlm@iitm.ac.in>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

undisclosed-recipients

Greetings to you,

SCAMMED VICTIM/ $500,000 BENEFICIARIES.

REF/PAYMENTS CODE: ECB/06654 $500,000 USD.

On behalf of the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS, we wish to notify you as a beneficiary of $500,000 USD in compensation of scam victims.This is to bring to your notice that we are delegated from the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS in Central Bank to pay 150 victims of scam $500,000 USD (Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) each. You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount.

According to the number of applicants at hand, 114 Beneficiaries has been paid, over a half of the victims are from the United States, we still have a pending of 36 compensations left to be paid. Your particulars was mentioned by one of the Syndicates who was arrested as one of their victims of the operations, you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what so ever as the U.S. secret service is already on trace of the other criminals. So keep it secret till they are all apprehended. Other victims who have not been contacted can submit their application as well for scrutiny and possible consideration

Do contact HSBC INTERNATIONAL BANK, United Kingdom Branch for verification and release of your $500,000 USD that we have deposited with the HSBC BANK,UK.

The account log on will be presented to you by the bank in order to access the funds before releasing into your nominated bank account.

You will transfer the funds into your nominated account on-line as the HSBC BANK,UK will provide the necessary information to you. Please if you are willing to accept the funds, do contact the Managing Director of the HSBC BANK,UK with the following details:

You are to fill the appropriate form and submit to the bank.

[1] Full Names:________________

[2] Contact address______________________________

[3] Direct Telephone No: ___________________

|4| Occupation : ____________________________

Managing Director of the HSBC BANK,UK

Name: Mrs. Joan Cole

Private Email:mrsjoancole32@yahoo.com.hk

Telephone:+447766822807

Yours Faithfully,

Dr.Caravan Marvis

Coordinator.

OBAMA'S FOUNDATION AND UNITED NATIONS© 2010

Edited by ghost of miles

I think someone with even a rudimentary knowledge of English could move to Nigeria and make a fair living offering their services as a scam letter editor. I mean, the first thing you notice when you get one of these is how poorly written and badly organized they are. With jobs in this country so hard to come by, I don't think anyone would begrudge someone who was just trying to makes ends meet. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the metascam scam! With an "Obama's Foundation"/UN twist...

Get Back To Me With This ID

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:27 PM

"vlm" <vlm@iitm.ac.in>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

undisclosed-recipients

Greetings to you,

SCAMMED VICTIM/ $500,000 BENEFICIARIES.

REF/PAYMENTS CODE: ECB/06654 $500,000 USD.

On behalf of the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS, we wish to notify you as a beneficiary of $500,000 USD in compensation of scam victims.This is to bring to your notice that we are delegated from the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS in Central Bank to pay 150 victims of scam $500,000 USD (Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) each. You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount.

According to the number of applicants at hand, 114 Beneficiaries has been paid, over a half of the victims are from the United States, we still have a pending of 36 compensations left to be paid. Your particulars was mentioned by one of the Syndicates who was arrested as one of their victims of the operations, you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what so ever as the U.S. secret service is already on trace of the other criminals. So keep it secret till they are all apprehended. Other victims who have not been contacted can submit their application as well for scrutiny and possible consideration

Do contact HSBC INTERNATIONAL BANK, United Kingdom Branch for verification and release of your $500,000 USD that we have deposited with the HSBC BANK,UK.

The account log on will be presented to you by the bank in order to access the funds before releasing into your nominated bank account.

You will transfer the funds into your nominated account on-line as the HSBC BANK,UK will provide the necessary information to you. Please if you are willing to accept the funds, do contact the Managing Director of the HSBC BANK,UK with the following details:

You are to fill the appropriate form and submit to the bank.

[1] Full Names:________________

[2] Contact address______________________________

[3] Direct Telephone No: ___________________

|4| Occupation : ____________________________

Managing Director of the HSBC BANK,UK

Name: Mrs. Joan Cole

Private Email:mrsjoancole32@yahoo.com.hk

Telephone:+447766822807

Yours Faithfully,

Dr.Caravan Marvis

Coordinator.

OBAMA'S FOUNDATION AND UNITED NATIONS© 2010

David,

You can't follow basic instructions or somethin'?? You've been warned!!!! :crazy:

"you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what so ever as the U.S. secret service is already on trace of the other criminals"