Email Scams

Here's one I just received

Hello,

My name is Sgt. Steven Flavell, I am an American soldier, I am serving in the military with the 1st Armored Division in Iraq , as you know we are being attacked by insurgents everyday and car bombs.I managed to move part of funds belonging to Saddam Hussein's family in 2008.

The total amount is US$20 Million dollars in cash, mostly 100 dollar bills,this money has been kept somewhere outside Baghdad for some time but with the proposed troop in increase by president Barrack Obama, to end the suicide bombing and make peace with Iraq militant and terrorist ,I am afraid that the money may be discovered hence I want to make sure the money is in a safe hands pending the completion of our assignment here.

READ THIS WEBSITE VERY WELL AND GET BACK TO ME.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm I am ready to compensate you with good percentage of the funds, No strings attached, Iraq is a war zone, I plan on using diplomatic means to ship the money out as military cargo to a safe hands, under diplomatic immunity cover.

I am contacting you in confidence, all arrangement for the successful delivery has been put in place, all i need from you is to receive the cargo from the diplomat, If you are interested I will send you the full details, I want a good partner that i can trust and that will also assist me. Can I trust you? When you receive this letter, kindly send me an e-mail through my personal email address signifying your interest in this proposal and my email address is: steven_flavell1970@yahoo.com

Yours sincerely,

Sgt. Steven Flavell.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gosh, I'm starting to get a raft of these:

May your days be blessed

From Mrs Caron Wood

Blvd de marcielle 01 BP

Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire Dear Beloved Friend,

With due respect and humanity, Let me first of all inform you, I saw your profile and I decided to mail you for a permission to go ahead, I am Mrs caron wood, I am married to late Mr. Thierry Wood who worked with a construction company in Asia for twenty years before he died in the tsunami disasters, we were married but without any child when i was with Renault Automobile france. I am now suffering from long time breast Cancer and Cancer of the lungs, from all indication my condition is really deterioration and it is quite obvious that i don't have much days as doctor but i know that with God all things are possible, this is because the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad stage now, Dear I deposited the sum of $3,700.000.00.(Three Million seven Hundred thousand Dollars US) in a bank and now i am willing to donate this said fund to the less privilegeds and to contribute to the development of church in Africa, Asia, and middle east. My late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I control all the family business, Presently this money is still with the bank and the management of the bank just sent me a message to come forward and activate the account or rather Issue a letter of authorization to somebody to receive it on my behalf if I cannot come over. I am presently in a hospital where I have been undergoing treatment Cancer of the lungs,

I have since lost my ability to speak and the doctors have told me that survival is narrow. Please i want you to note that this money is lying in the Bank, I want a person that is trust worthy that will utilize 75% of this money to fund charity organisation, orphanages and widows around the world especially in HAITI but in my name CARON FOUNDATION" As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank, I will also issue you a letter of authority that will prove you as the new beneficiary of this fund. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein, this is to ensure that nothing contradict my last wish on earth as what so ever the almighty does is good. having known the truth I had no choice than to do what is lawful and just in the sight of almighty for eternal life and in the sight of man for witness of God mercies and glory upon my life. may you be bless as you read and reply this message. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner. Hence the reason for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death since I know where I am going to. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. and the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace Your urgent respond will be appreciated, please reply here

Yours

Mrs Caron Wood.

It's bad enough I get these, but two weeks ago, I was getting panic phone calls from Poland about a scam using my name....:angry:

Edited by Matthew

Man, you guys need a spam sifter of some sort.

I'll get something like this, maybe,

once or twice a month in the ol' "Inbox."

I think I've seen about two in all the years I've had a mailbox - well over ten but I can't remember when I opened it.

For your information, I don't feel cheated :g

MG

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the "overpay for a service with a fraudulent check" scam was done for fairly small potatoes, but sometimes even a lawyer falls for it and gets ripped off for $189,000.00!

For those of us who don't care much for lawyers, this one is almost funny. Of course, the risk when you rip off a lawyer is that he'll find someone to sue, and in this case he's going after Citibank for telling him that the fraudulent check had cleared.

People should have better sense than to fall for something that obvious, especially people who have studied law. I think Howell deserves to lose every penny of that amount. How utterly stupid and avoidable. As someone who has been ripped off by a "respectable" law firm, I have no trust in these guys, and no sympathy.

I always thought the "overpay for a service with a fraudulent check" scam was done for fairly small potatoes, but sometimes even a lawyer falls for it and gets ripped off for $189,000.00!

For those of us who don't care much for lawyers, this one is almost funny. Of course, the risk when you rip off a lawyer is that he'll find someone to sue, and in this case he's going after Citibank for telling him that the fraudulent check had cleared.

Well, I'll cheer him on and wish him well in his pursuit of citibank, but even Howell himself would probably admit he's a nonpareil dumbass.

Well, I'll cheer him on and wish him well in his pursuit of citibank, but even Howell himself would probably admit he's a nonpareil dumbass.

Typical American lack of accountability. What I did was incredibly stupid, but, by God, someone else is going to pay for it. I hate to see kind of thing happen to anyone, but at least have the guts to accept the responsibility for your own behavior.

Here's the latest one I reported—came in today and has a slightly different wrinkle in that it openly invites the recipient to commit fraud. Well, I guess they all do, but this one just seems to be not quite as subtle as what I am used to. The guy seriously needs to have his sixth sense repaired. :)

Good Day,

How are you doing? I am Michael Kumani a solicitor at law.This is a personal email written from my office to you about my late client whose name is Robert, he was my friend and I was his solicitor until the point of his death, he died unfortunately in an autocrash alongside his family.

Just immediately after his death has been confirmed alongside the death of his family, his account officer asked me to find his next of kin who could stand in for my late client in order to claim his estate valued at 9.8 Million GBP, I set about immediately to do that, I wrote several letters to different organizations, embassies and what have you so I could locate his next of kin but all my efforts hit a brick wall, I have been asked to produce a next of kin by the board of directors in the next 14 days o

r else they plan to use the abandoned property decree of the company which is to impound the funds after the 14 days given to me, two days ago, I got some official letters saying that a likely confiscation of the assets was really underway with reference and in accordance to existing laws of the institution.

On this note I will like you to know that I have put my trust in you and that is why I have contacted you and I find this also more possible because you might be of the same nationality with my late client which will make it the more easier for you to put up a claim to the bank as his next of kin. I know the bank want the funds for themselves and would want to share it amongst themselves which would make them enrich their fat accounts and greedy stomachs.

Now my purpose for doing this is to get this funds, for this purpose I seek your assistance because for the past eight years I've been unable to find his next of kin. I know you must also ask what about the legal documents that we will need to get this done, you don't have to worry about that because I have all the needed documents that would make you have the legal right to make this claim before it gets confisticated in the next 14-15 days and so the money can be shared between us, I know there are other

persons with the same name as my late client and I even put up an advertisement for that and I received all sorts of mails and applications but after a little check, my 6th sense told me to use you instead. Can I trust you on this? I will get all legal documents necessary for you to use to back up your claim. Please contact me by my number below or my alternate email michaelkumani@gmx.co.uk

Kindly give me a contact number to reach you so we can discuss further on how to proceed.

Regards,

Michael Kumani Esq.

Phone: +447404400170

• 7 months later...

Received another gem today...

YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE GREAT AGBARAUKE WEALTH

SECURITY AND RICHES PROVIDER SECRET SOCIETY OCCULTISM KINGDOM.THIS A WEALTH

PROVIDER SECRET SOCIETY.AS A MEMBER YOU MUST SURELY ENJOY ALL THESE :-

(1). YOU WILL BE KING OF EXCESS MONEY IN ANY CURRENCY,

(2). YOU WILL BE A MULTI BILLIONAIRE IN YOUR LIFE

(3). YOU WILL BE PRESIDENT OF ALL PRESIDENTS

(4). YOU WILL BE WELL CONNECTED ALL OVER THE WORLD

(5). YOU WILL LIVE LONGER THAN ANY OF YOUR AGE MATE.

(6). YOU WILL BE WHO EVER YOU WANT TO BE IN LIFE.

(7). YOU WILL BE UNTOUCHABLE BY ANY WITCHES OR WIZARDS ACTS

(8). YOU WILL BE EXTRA SUCCESSFUL IN ANY THING YOU DO OR DOING

(9). YOU WILL BE KING OF YOUR OWN KINGS

(10).YOU WILL LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT TO LIVE.

(11).YOU WILL BE WELL PROTECTED AGAINST ANY DANGER OF ANY KIND.

(12).YOU WILL SAY BYE POVERTY, SICKNESS, FEAR OF ANY KIND AND BAD LUCK.

(13). YOU CAN HEAL PEOPLE AND PERFORM MIRACLE AT ANYTIME.

(14).YOU WILL WIN ALL COURT CASES, ELECTIONS AND PUBLIC POSITIONS.

(15).YOU WILL ALWAYS TAKE FIRST POSITION ANY EXAMS OR ANYTHING

(16).YOU WILL PROTECT YOUR OWN WEALTH AND IT WILL NEVER LOST.

(17).YOU WILL ALWAYS WIN CONTRACT FROM ANY WHERE AT ANYTIME.

(18).YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE PEACE AND HAPPINESS TO GROW SUCCESSFUL

(19).YOU WILL BE SUPER POWER OF YOUR OWN WORLD FREE FROM ENEMIES

(20).YOU WILL BE CURE OF ANY SICKNESSES.AND YOU SHALL NOT SICK.

IF YOU WANT TO BELONG AND BE A MEMBER, FEEL FREE TO FORWARD HERE

(agbaraukericheswealth@mail.com) YOUR FULL INFORMATION'S LIKE:-

YOUR FULL NAME,YOUR VALID EMAIL ADDRESS, YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, WHAT YOU WANT

TO BE IN LIFE( YOU NEED EXCESS MONEY,WANT TO BE A PRESIDENT OF YOUR COUNTRY,

TO BEING A GREAT PERSON,POSITION AT WORK OR YOU NEED PROTECTION

OF ANY KIND),YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE NUMBER,YOUR CURRENT POSITION AT WORK,YOUR

SEX (MALE OR FEMALE),YOUR AGE,YOUR MARITAL STATUS WITH HOW MANY CHILDREN,YOUR

PRESENT OCCUPATION,YOUR ADDRESS (POSTAL OR RESIDENTIAL).

ALL MAJOR SACRIFICES WILL BE PERFORM FOR YOU,AND THERE IS NO SIDE EFFECT IN

THIS GREAT AGBARAUKE OCCULTISM KINGDOM.

This one caught my eye because its coming from the Federal Reserve but what really got me laughing was paragraph three, the list of documents they have demonstrating why I am qualified to receive my ginormous payment:

Federal Reserve Bank of America

33 Liberty Street,

New York, NY 10045.

Our Ref: FRB-75BFNYUS2010

Email: olbrder254@mail.mn

Attention Honorable Beneficiary

Payment Release Instruction From Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Acting on our capacity as the international correspondent bank to the International Monetary Fund Organization, this is to officially notify you that we have received a confirmation advice from the International Monetary Funds External Auditors Committee, World Bank, United Nations Organization and the Federal Reserve Bank of America respectively via International Payment Voucher Number: IMF/FRBWDC/BOA-93WB82UN567-G requesting our bank to direct the FCMB BANK USA N.A, a subsidiary of the Federal Reserve Bank of America to disburse your due wining/inheritance and contract payment valued at Seven Million, Three Hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US7.3M) in your favor via their branch in New York.

In consideration of the above, you have been issued with this Exclusive Reference Identification Number (IMF/FRB-NY/9USXX10751/09), Vide Transaction No.: WHA/EUR/202 and Transfer Allocation No.: FRB/X44/701LN/NYC/US, Password: 339331, Pin Code: 78569, Certificate of Merit No: 104, Release Code No: 0876; Immediate FCMB Telex Confirmation No: -222568; Secret Code: XXTN014. Having received these vital payment numbers, you are instantly qualified to receive and confirm your payment within the next 72hrs. as necessary clearance has been granted from the International Monetary Funds External Auditors to release the funds to you with immediate effect.

Exclusive reference identification number ... Vide transaction number ... Transfer Allocation number, Password ... PIN ... certificate of merit ... Release Code .... Immediate Telex Confirmation number and the very most important of all:

SECRET CODE

:rofl:

• 5 weeks later...

What the following, which I received today, really says: Americans are dumber than dumb

Just look how many books are published specifically for them....Dummycovers.jpg

Attn:

The Skye Bank of Nigeria, plc informed us the FBI, that they are through with

the first (2ND) quarter transfer to beneficiaries, and that they are ready to

start with the (3rd) quarter transfer to beneficiaries where your payment file

belongs to now.

And since they are in the third quarter of fund released to beneficiaries,the

bank states that the old payment code: to your inheritance contract funds has

been changed and that the new payment code: to your contract funds will be

(SBN/0029), take note of the new payment code: (SBN/0029), any e-mail you

receive henceforth that does not have your payment code: (SBN/0029). Should be

disregarded immediately and forwarded to us for immediate investigation.

Warning: Note that you are advised not to disclose the said inheritance

contract funds with anyone until your said contract funds has been fully

released to you, and ensure that you contact the bank

(remitance.skyebnkingplc.ng@live.com) with your payment code: (SBN/0029).

Immediately you receive this e-mail from us.

Any e-mail that you receive stating that your inheritance contract fund is

ready without the new payment code, should be disregarded immediately.

CONTACT THE BANK AT THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS: (remitance.skyebnkingplc.ng@live.com)

IMMEDIATELY.

Thank You And Have A Nice Day.

In God We Trust.

Robert S. Mueller III

Federal Bureau of Investigation

J. Edgar Hoover Building

935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington , D.C. 20535-0001, USA.

• 1 month later...

From the IRS:

Important: W-2 form update

We would like to inform you that as of the 21th of January you are late in updating your W-2 form

submition :rolleyes: with the new updated version. Please send us your completed W-2 update form by

02/01/2011. The updated version of the W-2 form please click on the link below:

offscreen.com/update/modules/W-2form.exe

• 3 years later...

Who knew I could get a loan from Norman Simmons? Or, er, his wife? :huh::ph34r:

NORMAN SIMMONS FINANCE HOME
Email:nsimmons1960@gmail.com

Do you need loan to pay off your Bills or Debts?We give out urgent loans from $3,000.00 to $500,000.00 at 3% interest rate,Just address your email to Mrs Norman Simmons(nsimmons1960@gmail.com) with the following information:

1:Name:.............
2:Country................
3:Amount:................
4: Duration... .............
5:Phone No:...............
Contact us now and get an urgent loan !!!!!!

Note:All replies should be forwarded only to nsimmons1960@gmail.com for immediate attention.

Regards,
Mrs Norman Simmons

• 1 year later...

More spam than scam, but I enjoyed this one.  Only time can open our eyes to the kipperwho!

....from one Tanvira Cool, in Turkmenistan:

"It's hard to be alone, and even more hard to tumble to that with the same tribulation is, one who could be close to you, have a buddy who could tumble to, to give advice. Or it may be more than a mate. The man who opens his heart, soul, and that I will be ready to partake more than their feelings.
But I else have not seen such in my city, in the land. And I determinate to make a pace. Step-by-side altars of my country, and now you're reading this letter.
And mayhap you're the type of person that I need him. And I'll need you. And let us be just buddy! But perhaps that is no longer begins with mate? Only time can open our eyes to the kipperwho with you. Only time can tell us what awaits us.
I Tanvira. I live in Turkmenistan. I'll put your photo. And if your respond you will respond me the same as you send out your photo and say your name and where you are. Thus, we take one footstep in our connection. And who knows what will be forthcoming of us. And we can be good pal, and maybe more. Who does not know what awaits us, and what the future holds for us.
At this point I made the first stride, and now everything depends on you. Good luck."

they're using google translate. 
it's working toward a scam, small steps at a time.

here is one that seems too easy, from a couple of weeks ago

http://patch.com/illinois/stcharles-il/woman-trades-wedding-engagement-rings-loses-20000-diamond-scam

A woman is out $20,000 and no longer has her wedding or engagement rings after she became the victim of a diamond scam in St. Charles earlier this month, police said.

The female victim was approached inside Jewel-Osco, 2073 Prairie St., at about 3 p.m. on June 1 by a male who identified himself as Oscar Lopez, according to a St. Charles Police Department press release.

He explained that he found a diamond at a cleaning job where he is employed and needed a ride to Meijer. Another female overheard this conversation and stated she needed a ride to Meijer as well, according to the news release.

The victim drove the two to Meijer where Lopez showed them five diamonds and three gold coins, police said.

The unknown female said she would take the items into Meijer to be appraised by a friend. She returned to the vehicle and stated the largest diamond was valued at $10,000.

She then re-entered Meijer where she claimed to have “sold” the diamond for that value. The victim then dropped off the other female across the street.

The victim drove Lopez to her house where she paid him $20,000 for the remaining diamonds, and traded her wedding and engagement rings for a fifth diamond and coin.

She later had the diamonds appraised and found they were worthless.

Edited by l p