Another Idol season

jazzbo

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 17-year old gal in the blue top with the flower print skirt who sang two songs last night, one from the Dixie Chicks and one from Billie Holiday, was, at least IMO, stunningly good.

Up over and out.

Wasn't aware that "Take Five" was a Billie tune. But nobody seemed to notice. Hey, it's all "jazz", right?

And she didn't make the changes on the bridge either. But nobody seemed to notice. Hey, it's all "jazz", right?

This was my first time watching Idol other than in drips and drabs. I can see the attraction, such as it is, but I think I'll resist, thanks anyway.

Oh yeah, it wasn't Billie Holiday for sure. . . but I thought she sang rings around most of the others.

I watch that show because my wife LOVES it. I've never known my wife to ever get that excited about a musical show or recording in general. She asks me a lot of questions as this goes on and it's so nice to share a musical thing with her.

And especially lately it's so nice to see her having a good time relaxing.

When I was listening to her sing the Billie song last night, I recall thinking that I didn't remember hearing Billie do that number. What I surely didn't recognize was that it was "Take Five". Still, as someone who prides himself on knowing something about this music, I should feel shame for not recognizing any iteration of "Take Five" no matter how tricked up it is.

Nonetheless, I stand by my original statement. I thought her voice was terrific, especially considering her age.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

No dude, those are just North Carolinians! :D I live here, so I can say that. Seriously, back in the pines, you never know what you're going to find. There are some strange people in North Carolina, and American Idol seems to attract them. Seems to attract them from all states actually.

I loved that quip from Simon, something about installing a sound-proof shower curtain.

That 17 year old has to be the best singer that has walked in front of those three. They were in awe that talent like that could actually walk through the door.

• 1 month later...

Well Elliot Yasmin did an excellent rendition of "Moody's Mood for Love" tonight. Who'd have thunk? (Another contestant did this in an audition last season actually). He's really good. Also a favorite of mine is Taylor Hicks. Man. . . that guy has the soul of Ray Charles in him there somewhere.

I rather doubt either of those wil be in the final four but they're some of my favorite singers of any season on this show.

Agree with you, Lon. I really liked Taylor a lot more in the beginning, though, as his Ray Charles-Joe Cocker schtick is wearing thin. But damn, you can tell the dude loves music. Elliot's been growing on me more, and he was swell last night with Moody's Mood. Also like the guy who closed the show last night - Chris?- who has great stage presence and a solid rock voice.

What can i say? I'm hooked on the show... :lol:

I agree that fellow Chris is talented. . . though he does nothing for me personally to be honest!

Man I can't believe they are all oohing and ahhing over "Bucky." That guy was not all that! And they seem to want young Will to go home. . . and he did pretty well imo!

Also a favorite of mine is Taylor Hicks. Man. . . that guy has the soul of Ray Charles in him there somewhere.

I like him too. I'd really like to see him get through a song without exclaiming "whew" or "yeah" however that's a minor quibble. The guy has soul. I also like Gideon? Pretty nice R&B/Soul singer; a little more of a polished approach than Taylor. Apples and oranges really, both are very good. This is the first year I've consistently watched to show past the early stages. Maybe the most talented group in the shows history?

• 1 month later...

What a f*cked up world we live in:

Rod Stewart is the special guest for "American Songbook" week, like he's an expert because of those horrifying CDs, like he's an expert on the genre the way Kenny Rogers is an expert on country. :angry::bad:

Well, Tony Bennett was busy and everyone else is already dead.

What a f*cked up world we live in:

Rod Stewart is the special guest for "American Songbook" week, like he's an expert because of those horrifying CDs, like he's an expert on the genre the way Kenny Rogers is an expert on country. :angry::bad:

Well, Tony Bennett was busy and everyone else is already dead.

Harry Connick has a better handle on the material and he ain't dead.

But he also ain't Rod Stewart, so we are treated to the frightening image of him giving guidance on these songs.

Taylor Hicks . . . "worked it out dude!" :D

taylor_hicks.jpg

I just ignored Rod. It was easy.

I was surprised at Daughtry's performance. Really liked it. Paris too. . . she could play Dinah Washington in a lurid biopic in about ten years.

McPhee looks beautiful as hell but bores the hell out of me.

281x211.jpg

I like Taylor, I like Elliot. Reminds me of my BROTHER Shawn. Sings better. . . come on, ya gotta admit that Mr. D!

elliott.jpg

I don't think Elliot will be around much longer, which is a shame. Taylor seems to have real solid popularity. I wish I'd seen the SNL parody!

Edited by jazzbo

When whatshername McPhee vamped the camera tonight with that come hither stare, she could've been singing Camptown Races and she'd still have my vote. I didn't hear Paris, but I've liked her since day one.

Also, say what you will about Rod Stewart, but those recordings he did way back when with The Jeff Beck Group - most notably "Ain't Superstitious" - will stand my test of time. I don't care what he's done for me lately.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I loved Paris from day one... but unfortunately less each week.

I actually enjoyed Rod on the show tonight... and it looked like he was having fun as well. He's a terrific rock singer and performer - or at least he was - but i gotta say those American Standards of his are awful. It figures then, of course, that my dad really digs them.

I found most of the performances tonight surprisingly dull, with only Taylor standing out (and even then, only the end of his song).

When whatshername McPhee vamped the camera tonight with that come hither stare, she could've been singing Camptown Races and she'd still have my vote. I didn't hear Paris, but I've liked her since day one.

Also, say what you will about Rod Stewart, but those recordings he did way back when with The Jeff Beck Group - most notably "Ain't Superstitious" - will stand my test of time. I don't care what he's done for me lately.

Up over and out.

Ah, that stare, that whole shtick of hers seems so phoney to me! And there's nothing behind her vocal glibbness for me. . . .Emothionless posturing.

Just my two cents! :g