Lars Gullin

Victor Christensen

Just a few notes regarding various earlier questions mentioned in this interesting thread:

@bichos:

Re- the Lars Gulin discography:

A great discography on Swedish jazz records (A to Z, including a comprehensive Gullin entry) is accessible online right here:

www.visarkiv.se

It is an enlarged and updated version of Harry Nicolausson's discography and I don't know if any single discography would yield that much that is really new.

Regarding the SVENSK JAZZHISTORIA CD series released by Caprice (fantastic series!), I have Vol. 1 to 8 and from what I have seen the overlap with other available reissues of Swedish jazz is not that extensive. Some titles may actually be identical but the Caprice series also uses a lot hitherto unissued airshots, test pressings and other noncommercial recordings, etc. of tunes otherwise better known for their studio versions.

As for other overlaps between various CD reissue series, I am not sure if there are as many as it seems. From what I have seen among the Gullin recordings from the 50s I have (far from all) it is clear the "overlaps" include some tunes he re-recorded for various labels throughout the 50s so one and the same title may come up several times (e.g. "Merlin") without actually being the same recording.

As for ordering, I think you can order directly both from the Dragon and the Caprice websites even if you do not live in Sweden.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and please name us a seller who ships outside Denmark.......

Hello Reinier,

www.cdon.com ships to all EU locations. I have already ordered from there to Germany without any problems.

You need to go through their homepage www.cdon.com and you can there select the shipping region.

Cheers, Tjobbe

my Swedish is non existent and even decent guessing has thwarted registration let alone buying anything, more's the pityas they have at least 4 Gullin discs not easily available else where (in the UK that is)

and please name us a seller who ships outside Denmark.......

Hello Reinier,

www.cdon.com ships to all EU locations. I have already ordered from there to Germany without any problems.

You need to go through their homepage www.cdon.com and you can there select the shipping region.

Cheers, Tjobbe

my Swedish is non existent and even decent guessing has thwarted registration let alone buying anything, more's the pityas they have at least 4 Gullin discs not easily available else where (in the UK that is)

Here's their site in English.

Dragon have put out Volume 9 - Summertime - some overlap with the Collectable Jazz Classics 2fer I think judging by the titles. All material is I think ex Metronome.

thanks for info! that´s great news!

all their cd´s are wonderful. (in sound and presentation)

keep boppin´

marcel

Just a few notes regarding various earlier questions mentioned in this interesting thread:

@bichos:

Re- the Lars Gulin discography:

A great discography on Swedish jazz records (A to Z, including a comprehensive Gullin entry) is accessible online right here:

www.visarkiv.se

It is an enlarged and updated version of Harry Nicolausson's discography and I don't know if any single discography would yield that much that is really new.

Regarding the SVENSK JAZZHISTORIA CD series released by Caprice (fantastic series!), I have Vol. 1 to 8 and from what I have seen the overlap with other available reissues of Swedish jazz is not that extensive. Some titles may actually be identical but the Caprice series also uses a lot hitherto unissued airshots, test pressings and other noncommercial recordings, etc. of tunes otherwise better known for their studio versions.

As for other overlaps between various CD reissue series, I am not sure if there are as many as it seems. From what I have seen among the Gullin recordings from the 50s I have (far from all) it is clear the "overlaps" include some tunes he re-recorded for various labels throughout the 50s so one and the same title may come up several times (e.g. "Merlin") without actually being the same recording.

As for ordering, I think you can order directly both from the Dragon and the Caprice websites even if you do not live in Sweden.

yes, i know and use this link to the visarkiv sometimes for discographical informations. but i wonder when the long awaited lars gullin discography by pär rittsel is comming out!?

and the caprice boxes are great!!!

keep boppin´

marcel

Anybody got any concrete opinion on the sound quality of this Collectables reissues of the "Baritone Sax"/"Swings" LP's by Lasse Gullin?

Collectables hasn't the best reputation in this field and even a recent topic on this forum had nothing but disdain for the sloppy reissue practices of Collectables so I am just wondering ...

Or would it make more sense waiting for the individual tracks from these LP's to appear in the Dragon series? (Some should already be on Vol. 9 I think)

Anybody got any concrete opinion on the sound quality of this Collectables reissues of the "Baritone Sax"/"Swings" LP's by Lasse Gullin?

Collectables hasn't the best reputation in this field and even a recent topic on this forum had nothing but disdain for the sloppy reissue practices of Collectables so I am just wondering ...

Or would it make more sense waiting for the individual tracks from these LP's to appear in the Dragon series? (Some should already be on Vol. 9 I think)

The sound quality is fine but it omits a track Ma from the original release and it's liner info is sloppy with sessions undated and personnel listing not exactly easy to follow as the original sessions are jumbled up. The original liners are reproduced but aren't very illuminating (Feonard Leather). I'll be happy to replace it with Dragon issues.

Edited by Clunky

Thanks for the links, Jostein. (I had totally forgotten about the stim.se site)

The problem with all these Gullin reissue series seems to be that it is hard to avoid duplicating too many of the tracks that were originally released on Metronome. If you have the Metronome 2-LP sets from the 70s and the four Dragon LP's from the 80s (not to mention the Metronome CD series that was out a couple of years ago) you are in trouble finding the remaining tracks that Gullin did in the 50s (on Gazell, Polydor, Philips and Sonet) unless you accept ending up with more duplicates from his Metronome and Artist sessions over and over again. A real pity ...

Dragon have put out Volume 9 - Summertime - some overlap with the Collectable Jazz Classics 2fer I think judging by the titles. All material is I think ex Metronome.

thanks for info! that´s great news!

all their cd´s are wonderful. (in sound and presentation)

keep boppin´

marcel

Volume 9 just arrived, excellent as ever, sound fuller than that achieved on the Collectables disc, needless to say the documentation is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

but i wonder when the long awaited lars gullin discography by pär rittsel is comming out!?

It's out:

http://www.gullin.net/Gullin.pdf

Gullin website with CD discography:

http://www.gullin.net/nyintro.htm

that´s great news!!! thanks for information!!

keep boppin´

marcel

Yes the discography is out - I know because I wrote it. Just like to tell you that I publish corrections, comments and additions on http://gullin.blogspot.com/.

As some of you noticed, the gullin.net site is sadly in need of an update.

Talk to me on prittsel@gmail.com

Regards

Par

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

just want to share this two films with lars gullin with you. they are wonderful! there is not much gullin on film, so enjoy this two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2MzvhIVD0

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcC9aN338PI

keep boppin´

marcel

Wha ....?? :excited:

I would have had an exceedingly hard time recognizing Lars Gullin in that 70s video! Ouch ...

But really nice playing.