• The Magnificent Goldberg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BillF said:

Oscar Peterson

Oscar Pettiford

Shorty Petterstein

Shorty Petterstein Henry Jacobs Alan Watts

P.S. I once ran across a would-be Lenny Bruce expert (a noted poet and literary critic -- won't mention his name here) who thought that Bruce had done the Petterstein interview and who  had written a lengthy essay that revolved around tying Petterstein's "blow is like an instrument" line to something that allegedly was fundamental to Bruce's humor. I told him that Lenny had nothing to do with the Petterstein interview, that it was an accident of packaging on the part of the Fantasy label that it and some Bruce material appeared on the same album, which led to the confusion, and that the Petterstein and Prof Sholom Stein interviews were instead the work of Henry Jacobs and Woodrow Leifer. IIRC, that Bruce "expert" refused to accept my correction, perhaps because his essay already had been published in the academic journal Daedalus, and it might have been embarrassing for him to take back or otherwise alter the essay's premise. The essay's title BTW was "A Blow Is Like an Instrument" -- don't know where he got that "A."