Buck Clayton Mosaic set

I have just won this Mosaic set on ebay. It was a bit of a gamble as I have never heard anything with B.Clayton. Any views on this set? I hope this is not the worst Mosaic set you have ever listened to!  :wacko:

Can I ask you an honest question...?

Why did you bid on a set when you've never heard any Buck Clayton???

Why not buy a few single Cd's first, or at least go to the Mosaic site and listen to some online clips of sets currently in print????

:huh::huh::huh:

I don't know what the final price was but I suspect you could get a few Selects or individual Clayton Cd's for that price...

I have just won this Mosaic set on ebay. It was a bit of a gamble as I have never heard anything with B.Clayton. Any views on this set? I hope this is not the worst Mosaic set you have ever listened to!  :wacko:

Can I ask you an honest question...?

Why did you bid on a set when you've never heard any Buck Clayton???

Why not buy a few single Cd's first, or at least go to the Mosaic site and listen to some online clips of sets currently in print????

:huh::huh::huh:

I don't know what the final price was but I suspect you could get a few Selects or individual Clayton Cd's for that price...

$130 for a 6 CD set is worth the risk isn't it? I have never been disappointed with any Mosaic sets. And let's face it, if I really don't like this set it's not the end of the world!

No Trane. There are quite a few sets on my waiting list (Turrentine, J.Hodges, Hill select among others), but I will get the chance to buy them before they go OOP. A random purchase is always exciting! Anyway, you can't really go wrong with Mosaic. And if I was to be disappointed, I am sure I would be able to sell it. I would not have paid more than this. $130 for an OOP Mosaic is not that much anyway. ;)

Edited by ASNL77

the Turrentine is great...

I have to say though... My current fave of the inprint Mosaics is the Elvin Jones box... with the Tal Farlow/Golson-Jazztet/ sets a close second...

Although I just bought the Stitt, Anita O'Day and Dinah Washington and have yet to get a chance to listen to those ::)))))

:party::party:

AHH... This is like having too many good bottles of wine... :)

I'm glad your getting positive feedback on the Clayton set...

post a review, when you get it and let us know what you think...

I bought this set 2 weeks ago, without having any Clayton LP's and little jam session type material. Of course, I'd heard most of the musicians on other titles.

So far, I've really been enjoying it. These are really jams...9-20 minute songs. :o They remain very interesting as each soloist does his own thing. Some stand out more than others, but that's the fun in listening.

$130 is a pretty good deal for this one. Seems to me it's gone for a whole lot more than that on quite a few occasions. I really like this box. It has the look and feel of a genuine jam session. Real loosely goosey type stuff. fluffs and all. My only beef is the organization of the tracks. I know we've had this discussion before, but putting the master take and all the alternates back to back and, in one case, back to back to back, is overkill. I love the tune "Robbins' Nest", but 31 minutes of this is just too much of a good thing. I'd much prefer they were presented differently.

Enjoy.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Yes $130 seems to be a good deal as it is described as new and sealed... As the item description and the rest of the instructions were in German, this might have put off a few potential buyers. Having studied German along with English at school will have proved to be useful at least once in my life.... :P Thanks to you all for your feedback. I'm really looking forward to listening to this material.

Edited by ASNL77

This is one of the all-time great Mosaics. Great sound, the material has never come out on CD in any other form, and many of the songs which were edited or spliced together on the original LPs have been restored here. I bought it new from Mosaic long ago, but 130 bucks sounds like a good deal. HUCKLEBUCK!!! :tup

This set is is typical of all that is best about Mosaic. Take some classic but undeservedly obscure music, restore the production mistakes of the past, provide the music in complete form and present with a definitive booklet packed with valuable photos from the session. One of their best !

I've been piecing together this set since I missed buying it from Mosaic--so far I have 2/3 of the set (I'm missing discs 3 and 4). Anyway, there's some great Coleman Hawkins on there too. I suppose this music is a cornerstone of the 'mainstream' opened up in the 50s and 60s by the swing era stars. If you like this, the Columbia swing set Mosaic just put out would probably be a good complementary set. And don't forget the wonderful Vanguard sessions produced by John Hammond in the early 50s. More Buck Clayton, Hawk, Braff etc.