Jazz Versions of Irving Berlin Tunes

Lazaro Vega

Clusone 3 -- Soft Lights and Sweet Music (Irving Berlin Songbook) (hatART)

Ruby Braff and Ellis Larkins Duets -- Calling Berlin, Vols. 1 and 2 (Arbors Records)

Both of the above are excellent and very consistent; hard to pick favorite tunes.

As for vocalists:

How about Ella's Berlin Songbook? I'm especially partial to the tune "Lazy." A beautiful melody and one of his cleverest lyrics. A great Ella performance, too.

Sarah Vaughan and Billy Eckstine's performance of "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm." (on Emarcy, I think.)

Several great Berlin tunes on Vaughan's album Great Songs From Hit Shows, including the obscure "Homework," a beautiful melody with anachronistically sexist lyrics.Tony Bennett and Rosemary Clooney did nice tribute albums. I especially like Bennett's "Shaking the Blues Away."

And if you're doing vocalists, you should really include something from The Astaire Story (Verve), featuring Fred Astaire with Stars of the JATP. After all, he's the guy Berlin wrote many of these songs for. You can't go wrong with "Cheek to Cheek," "Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails," or "Fascinating Rhythm."

And wasn't there an Ellington tune based on "Blue Skies"? (I can't think of the title at the moment.)

Overall, I'm not really a huge Berlin fan (relatively speaking), but there are some gems (some already mentioned). I love Chet's version of "What'll I Do". Another great Berlin tune (which Chet also did many times) is "How Deep Is The Ocean?" I like Chet's 1977 vocal version, as well as J.J. on Concord ("Vivian")... hell, there are dozens of great versions of that. B-)

Edited by Jim R

How Deep is the Ocean

vocal ---Jimmy Scott or Nat King Cole

instrumental interpretations--- so many good ones cant pick

Braxton, Ellington, Parker, Criss, Dickerson, Monterose and many more

I have a hard time picking favorites

but this tune is one of Berlins best

I think Ellington's riff on Blue Skies was "Trumpets No End."

Ahg, the Braff-Larkins Vanguard Recordings are at home.

Where is Nat's version of How Deep ?

This, by the way, is a huge help.

:tup

Bill Coleman singing and playing "Cheek to Cheek" with Danny Doriz.

Coleman Hawkins "How Deep is the Ocean".

The Great Guitars "I'm Putting all My Eggs in One Basket".

I didn't bother referencing "How deep is the Ocean," as it's probably his most played tune in a jazz context. Almost too many excellent versions of that. Certainly Hawkins's version is a good suggestion.

And what was I thinking? "Fascinatin' Rhythm" is, of course, by the Gershwins. Oops. I must have been thinking of "Putting on the Ritz," which has a similar tricksy rhythm to it.

"Trumpets No End," is indeed the Duke tune I was thinking of.

How about Ella and Louis? "Isn't This a Lovely Day?" and "I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket" are favorites.

Bessie Smith: "Alexander's Ragtime Band." How could I forget that one?

I would consider myself a BIG Berlin fan.

I'm listening to the Astaire Story right now and have to emphasize how good it is. Excellent small group jazz accompaniment (Oscar Peterson, Flip Phillips, Charlie Shavers, Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, Alvin Stoller). And Astaire could SING. Not the greatest voice, but his feeling and phrasing were something else. He really swings and goes out on some "fascinatin'" rhythmic limbs here and there. I think that you should definitely play his "Top Hat..." It starts out with a spoken reminiscence of Berlin and it ends with an exuberent burst of tap-dancing.

On another current thread someone was quoted as saying something like "All the best piano players are drummers." Astaire shows how much being a dancer can help your singing (He could play piano and drums pretty well, too).

Coltrane and Hartman - They Say It's Wonderful

KD - Let's Face The Music [from Inta Somethin']

Bill Evans - Always [from Trio 64]

Miles - How Deep Is The Ocean [from Vol.1]

Mal Waldron - How Deep Is The Ocean [from One Entrance, Many Exits]

Bill Evans - How Deep Is The Ocean [from Exploratons]

Clusone Trio - The Song Is Ended [from I Am An Indian]

John Coltrane - "Russian Lullaby"

Lester Young - "This Year's Kisses"

Jackie McLean - "Let's Face the Music and Dance"

Ben Webster - "When I Fall in Love"

Hank Mobley - "Remember"

Louis Armstrong - "The Song is Ended"

Chick Corea & Akoustic Trio - "How Deep is the Ocean"

Frank Sinatra - "Change Partners"

Yeah man I was really scratching my head looking for that Nat. I bet it is beautiful. But we do have the Jimmy Scott.

Played the Pres "This Year's Kisses" with Billie's version (very similar bands, 1937 and 1956).

Thanks for the Jackie Mac suggestion. That'd go well with Sonny....