How you converse when you don't want

Urdu, Mandarin or Telugu are my preferred languages... glad I have no kids (at least so far)!

I remember it took my parents a while to realize that me and my sister did start understanding their english conversations (hey, it was them who sent us to English courses at age 10 or 12, so...)

So, you didn't tell then you understand you devil you..... :ph34r:

Why should I have? Children *are* evil, you know? No weird and twisted morals, just get what you can and what you want... (I hope I changed a bit in that respect, over the last 10-15 years, though...)

Strange as this may sound, my wife and I generally don't talk about things we don't want our daughter to understand. If you mean we're trying to keep a surprise from her, we'll generally spell out the word(s) in question: "Shall we get some I-C-E C-R-E-A-M later?" Otherwise, we wait untill she leaves the room (if we're talking about something that might disturb her, like a recent kidnapping or something). In the good old U S of A, its generally considered rude to converse in another language in the presence of someone who doesn't speak said language...

allow me to put on my shrink suit for just a minute. some parents make the mistake of thinking that if they disguise a serious conversation, their kids won't be affected by it. the trouble is, children are very good at picking up the stress or the emotional tone of the problem their parents are discussing. what they're left with is the sense that something is wrong, but they have no idea what it is. that's a recipe for fear, helplessness, and anxiety. i'm not saying you should treat children like adults. instead, sometimes its good to let them know you're going somewhere to discuss "some grownup things" together. that's often enough information for the younger ones. if they ask "what kind of grownup things?" you might say just a word or two, like "about money," or something else that's relevant but age-appropriate. always reassure them that you're talking "to make things better." that gives kids a valuable lesson that if you have a problem, you work together to solve it. of course, it's up to each couple to decide what's best for their family. however, we frequently see children in therapy because they're upset about things happening in the family that have been kept hidden "to protect the kids."

I don't have kids yet, but here in Israel, parents talk to each other in English or in another foreign language when they don't want their little ones to understand.

How do YOU do that?

Especially you ignorant Americans who speak only English... B-)

:huh:

In the good old U S of A, its generally considered rude to converse in another language in the presence of someone who doesn't speak said language...

I think the old Alexander would be all over this. He would be speaking German/Japanese/Swahili just to rile up the feathers of anyone within earshot... :P;)

My parents do this all the time. My mom says to my dad, I'm taking Caitlin, (my sister) to

B-O-R-D-E-R-S to get a book for school, so they think that I'll just not catch on. Most of the time, I'm too stoned to know what they're even spelling, so I just sit down and don't even bother figuring out what they're trying to spell.

:P

jk,

or am I..... :ph34r: