Crusaders

Jazz Kat

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f80000gjtm0.jpg

4 discs that hit most all of the highlights, including those of the Jazz Crusaders.

If you don't like compilations, the whole 71-79 run was pretty nice, from

f80251c6jlp.jpg

to

d395128fx64.jpg.

The production got slicker and slicker during this run, but always in a good way, I think. "Jazz" was pretty much out the window by then, but sophistication wasn't. But pretty much all of the albums from those years do what they set out to do really well.

Live in Japan is a nice set too.

Although they are from Texas, The (Jazz) Crusaders are pretty much an L.A. band. This is where they lived during their most powerful years. Basically, the members still live here.

Have seen them since they arrived in L.A. and through all their incarnations. I still like the 60's - early 70's stuff best. I think they made ONE latin based album.

The album I like best, LOOKIN' AHEAD, hasn't been released as a single cd. I believe it was their second album, right after FREEDOM SOUND. I don't know why record companies make the decisions they make on re-issues. LA should have been released years ago. Glad I have the vinyl.

"It seemed like the critics at the time looked upon us as not quite a jazz band. Our concept of bebop was quite different from all of the New Yorkers, the Detroit sound in that day. We always had a factor of rhythm and blues under the music. And it was very, very appealing to listeners.

--Joe Sample

The run of albums Jim S. mentions is very good indeed. there was one earlier lp for Motown the name of which I can't remember - but it was KILLER ! Great version of "Spanish Harlem". the other tunes I rmember on it were "Papa Hooper's Barrelhouse Groove" and "Way Back Home".

f80000gjtm0.jpg

4 discs that hit most all of the highlights, including those of the Jazz Crusaders.

If you don't like compilations, the whole 71-79 run was pretty nice, from

f80251c6jlp.jpg

to

d395128fx64.jpg

I don't really like compilations, and since I owned almost every (not the last few) one of those 70's LP's, I've often wished they had all come out on CD. I dig the earlier stuff as well, but I still haven't heard all of it.

Ah memories... I saw them twice- the first time in 1973 at "The Jungle Theater" (an outdoor venue) at Marine World, Africa USA (a zoo). :huh: Great show, though. I remember a wicked french horn solo by Wayne Henderson (I don't think anybody in the audience had ever seen a french horn :g ).

I wonder if I should have nominated Wayne in the "hippest, coolest stage presence" topic... "Wilton and I, we go wayyyy back, and we come way forward!"... "Scratch, DADDY?!"

Edited by Jim R

The run of albums Jim S. mentions is very good indeed. there was one earlier lp for Motown the name of which I can't remember - but it was KILLER ! Great version of "Spanish Harlem". the other tunes I rmember on it were "Papa Hooper's Barrelhouse Groove" and "Way Back Home".

33_1_b.jpg

33_1_b.jpg

BINGO

Edited by Harold_Z