Ernest T. Bass

Howard Morris, aka Ernest T. Bass from the Andy Griffith Show, died over the weekend.

By far my favorite character on a show that had so many, I laughed myself sick when he tuned a gasoline can (by tightening the cap) before serenading Charlene Darling during his first appearence on the Andy Griffith Show.

Of course he ended up married to Barney - saw that coming a mile away.

And the dialogue on that show - comedy gold...

Briscoe Darling is waiting for Andy & Barney when they come into the courthouse.

Briscoe: Well, there's this fella up home: Ernest T. Bass. He just don‘t take to Dud and Charlene bein' married.

Andy: Well, it's all legal and everything. I give you a copy of the marriage certificate and kept a copy here for my files.

Briscoe: I know that. But that doesn't signify with Ernest T. Bass. He keeps botherin' Charlene... yellin' in the night... throwin' rocks through the windows.

Andy: Well, can't you and your boys handle it?

Briscoe: Well, we thought about killin' him – kinda hated to go that far.

Ernest T. was a great character.

Andy Griffith was smart to not have him on too often, E.T. Bass would have ended up taking over like Urkel or the Fonz on their respective shows. I loved the chaos that he brought to Mayberry.

Since they made a spinoff of the Andy Griffith show anyway, I wish they would have sent Ernest T. off the Marines instead of Gomer Pyle. Now that would have been a funny show. Instead of Gollllleeee Sgt. Carter, you'd have had the good Sgt. getting the Ernest T. treatment. :g