Here Is Phineas; The Piano Artistry of....

wolff

Courtesy of WB at that other board....

OSS were the initials for Olmstead Sound Studios in New York. This outfit cut lacquers for quite a few indie labels of the time. I have a copy of Ferrante & Teicher's 1958 ABC-Paramount LP Heavenly Sounds in Hi-Fi which used Olmstead lacquers; ditto for the album Brock Peters At The Village Gate (United Artists, 1959) and the 45 of Marv Johnson's "You Got What It Takes" (also UA, same year). Anyone knows what became of Olmstead Sound, I for one would be appreciative . . .

Just as an intersting side note, there is a Howling Wolf recording from Memphis for whom the pianist is listed as "undentified," but I'm willing to bet it's Newborne - there's a bebop intro, and then - right into the down home blues (I'll have to dig it out and give you title info) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Just as an intersting side note, there is a Howling Wolf recording from Memphis for whom the pianist is listed as "undentified," but I'm willing to bet it's Newborne - there's a bebop intro, and then - right into the down home blues (I'll have to dig it out and give you title info) -

Cool--I'd be interested to know what it is, Allen. PN is one of the first jazz pianists I ever heard of. Went to Boston to visit a high-school friend of mine who was at Berklee circa 1985 and he was really into Newborn (I was Mr. Indie-Rock guy at the time and thought said friend a "jazz snob" :beee: ).

pp. 63-64 of Calvin Newborn's book mention Howlin' Wolf and Phineas but nothing about a recording session. Calvin was teaching Wolf to read music and Phineas had just been discharged from the military - which by my calculations makes it 1955.

Mike

FWIW, according to the book's discography, Phineas does appear (along with Calvin and Phineas Sr.) on two B.B. King singles: Miss Martha King/When Your Baby Packs Up (Bullet 309) and B.B. Boogie/She's Dynamite (RPM 323).

However, I note that other sources list RPM 323 as She's Dynamite/B.B. Blues - and that B. B. Boogie is on RPM 304 backed with Mistreated Woman.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

pp. 63-64 of Calvin Newborn's book mention Howlin' Wolf and Phineas but nothing about a recording session.

It's been published?! When I spoke to Mulgrew Miller about the Newborns about 5 or so years ago he had said that Clavin had written a memoir, but I had no idea it was out.

Do you know where I can buy this book?

Well, it has been published - I'd have to look at it later, but I think there is no publisher, just self-done. The title is "As Quiet As It's Kept". My copy is from a personal friend of Newborn's. I never knew about before I received it (a couple of years ago) and I've never seen another copy since. A quick websearch says it came out in 1996.

Lots of interesting stories, mostly NEVER known before, but it could have used editing and some scholarly research to balance it out.

Apparently it's available from him:

http://sorianasong.com/Newborn.html

but the website it links to does not work. Perhaps try the email.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald