Beanie Babies

I saw a report on Ebay the other week on 60 Minutes and their CEO said when they started in 1995, over 90% of their business came from Beanie Babies.

You remember these things? What happened to them? Are they all worthless now, or are people still paying big $$ for them? I always thought they were quite stupid.

Guest Mnytime

How about Cabbage Patch Dolls? They went from selling around $200-$400 for each to bankrupt in what 2-3 years?

Edited by Mnytime

I thought the whole Beenie Babies thing was funny.

I remember being at a hotel lobby gift store in St. Louis, and seeing two airline pilots digging through a barrel for the ones they didn't already have. They looked like little kids. :rolleyes:

My wife had some, and now they belong to the dog. :P

Guest Mnytime

You mean Furbies?

Yea, that's it. My fiancée collects those damn things. She puts up with my crazy collections so I can live with them. :P

Though I think Fizzbos sounds better. :g

Beanie Babies had an absolutely brilliant marketing plan, by making every one of them "limited" and retiring them. A huge difference between Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch.

Several years ago, Beanie Babies, if I recall correctly, tried to jumpstart their sales by announcing the imminent retirement of the whole line, but then they reneged and hurt themselves because it annoyed their hard core customers.

BTW, I do NOT have a collection! I know about this stuff because at the height of the Beanie Baby craze, my Mom brought Beanie Babies into the Gift Shop at the Historical Society where she is the Director. That gives you a good idea of how popular they were-what are Beanie Babies doing in the gift shop of a small New England Museum? They've got beautiful arts, crafts and books for sale, plus an overflowing barrel of Beanie Babies!

But the time has passed-the price is down to a buck and everytime I'm there, it doesn't seem like they've sold one in the past year.

Edited by Dan Gould

Beanie Babies had an absolutely brilliant marketing plan, by making every one of them "limited" and retiring them.

Hey, doesn't that sound like Blue Note Records? Every release is limited and "retired" either by series (Conns) or sales - all other releases.

Assuming that Ty is really doing a war beanie babie, from my point of view, it's quite offensive. I always thought Beanies were supposed to represent some neutral animal type or something like that was generally inoffensive. This, to me, is offensive. I think it was Stephen Decatur who said something like "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." That's what that represents to me. I'm sure others in this country where criticism or dissent doesn't seem to be encouraged anymore might disagree.