Favorite bit o' Larry Young

Soul Stream

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Scone is also very, very convincing in that style...

As is Bill Heid and Goldings obviously...

Yes, Bill Heid is probably the best there is when it comes to the LY concept. Goldings and Yahel are also wonderful. And again, I think Jim Alfredson has a handle on this stuff as well as exhibited in his "Young's Dream" from their first CD.

• 1 year later...

I haven't put on much Larry Young in while. However, was listening today. Aside from the obvious remarks about originality, I really enjoy certain rhythmic things and pet finger patterns he leans on as a basis to his style. Can't point out a single passage right now, but wondered if anybody had any particular passages of Larry Young. Not neccessarily a whole tune, but that's cool too....

Unity was on my playlist this month,

I noticed that Young tends to use a lot the pentatonic scale,

but not the bluesy usual stuff.

He superimposes on the same chord various pentatonics

derived from roots which are related to the chord he plays.

The same creative way as Woody Shaw later did.

He also likes using forths

and his playing reminds me of all people Mccoy Tyner

in his choice of substitute chords and melodic lines.

• 10 months later...

First track on 'Mother Ship'. After a relatively subdued start to the solo, it goes absolutely apeshit. Amazing stuff - I wonder what they thought of that in the studio :huh: .

That's got to be one of the most out jazz organ solos I've ever heard. Herbert Morgan was another surprise. Enjoyed him on Of Love and Peace.

Larry and the boys probably had to move that organ in themselves, too. People think this business is all glitz and glamour. It's frickin' hard work and the pay is shit.

...ah, but we love you guys! :g

When you come back to NYC, I'll give you a hand with your equipment again and help you navigate the jungle that is the city that never sleeps.

Well...it sleeps now a days, but you know what I mean.

First track on 'Mother Ship'. After a relatively subdued start to the solo, it goes absolutely apeshit. Amazing stuff.

When I saw this thread had been bumped, that was the first thing I thought of. The proverbial quiet before the storm. Absolutely beautiful! :tup

Just a thought - I'd like to see some of the musicians on Board do more threads like this. You guys can have some fun and share musical info amongst yourselves and we non-musicians end up learning something too.

edit- Maybe I should check the Musician's Forum more often. For all I know, some of this may go on there.

Edited by paul secor

Larry and the boys probably had to move that organ in themselves, too. People think this business is all glitz and glamour. It's frickin' hard work and the pay is shit.

Not to mention the boxes of vinyl.

Crap, I mentioned them. :rfr

Although, it might've been a house organ. The heyday, don't ya know.

• 3 weeks later...

Marcello - what a great photo! Thanks for posting that.

My fave bit of Larry won't impress the musicians, I fear :) It's the chordal sequence at the climax of "Testifyin'"; it just feels so fuckin' heavy!

MG

Oh and PS - shouldn't this be in the Hammond Zone?

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg