Tv Shows On Dvd

...Seems to me whenever you go back it just isn't the same and that somehow diminishes the memory.

But everyone is different.

I can't argue about the generalization, but I had a pleasant experience to the contrary once.

When I was a junior in high school in 1966, one of my favorite TV shows (one of the few that I watched - I had a lot of homework that year) was called Occasional Wife with Michael Callan and Patricia Harty. Funny show.

Over the years, I would wonder if I would enjoy the show today if I saw it. It was never in reruns. Then about twenty years ago the cable channel Ha! (the forerunner of Comedy Central) showed Occasional Wife. And I was pleased to learn that I enjoyed it as much in 1986 as I did in 1966.

So sometimes your youthful tastes bear out.

One of these days I will buy the DVDs of my favorite television show from my youth, Secret Agent with Patrick McGoohan. I bet I'll still like that one too.

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days I will buy the DVDs of my favorite television show from my youth, Secret Agent with Patrick McGoohan. I bet I'll still like that one too.

:tup Those are my favorite TV/DVD box sets. They named them in a confusing fashion. The first season (alll 30 minute episodes w/ Drake working for NATO) is boxed up as the complete Danger Man, while the remaining seasons (all one hour episodes w/ Drake working for British intelligence) are boxed up as the complete Secret Agent. Of course, the show was always called Danger Man in the UK and Secret Agent in the US, so this doesn't make a lot of sense.

The 1 hr episodes are better, but the short ones are great, too. The storylines are great! Even the 30 min episodes have more sophisticated plots than most movies, but without being crammed. The production values were surprisingly high, as well. The only real weakness in the show was the producer's apparent unwillingness to hire Asians to play the rare Asian roles (this only affects two or three episodes). Instead they would dress up British actors in bushy slanted eyebrows and have them play a racist charicature with a ridiculous accent.

Regardless, they are definitely both keepers.

I know there was a discussion of Twin Peaks someplace on this thread, but I didn't want to peruse all 16 pages of comments, so if this information is already out there, just consider this a confirmation. The second season will be released on April 10, 2007. It's available for pre-order from Amazon for $36.99. Bring it on!!

Up over and out.

I know there was a discussion of Twin Peaks someplace on this thread, but I didn't want to peruse all 16 pages of comments, so if this information is already out there, just consider this a confirmation. The second season will be released on April 10, 2007. It's available for pre-order from Amazon for $36.99. Bring it on!!

Up over and out.

I'm doing the pre-order on the assumption that they got the pricing wrong. $36 for six discs in that kind of packaging? I'm laying odds it's a mistake.

It's possible that Amazon hasn't yet realized that season 2 is split into two boxes - they are advertising it as all one box, but it is split into two parts in other countries. If this is the case, we'll likely just get an apology email.

I didn't care for the film, or Soderbergh in general*. Thanks again.

You're right about the American re-make. It was a pale imitation of the original, which was presented as a series on BBC. We saw the series here in Canada soon after it's release on television.

It is amazingly effective.

The series was directed by Alistair Reid and was filmed in London, Pakistan and Hamburg. It reads like a documentary. In fact, many thought it was.

Although Traffic, the film starring Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones and other big stars was impressive, it can't hold a candle to the British production.

To be fair, running-time constrainsts were a big part of the problem. The original series benefitted from having 325 total minutes of time to develop the story and the characters. The VHS boxed set comes on three tapes. I don't know if it's available on DVD. Probably by now.

The time to develop the characters and plot is the biggest advantage, IMO, that mini-series has over feature films.

Edited by patricia

I can see that. It was things like the girl going from being a senator's daughter to a crack whore in such a short time span that made the film rather ridiculous to me. I was also put off by the ending - it had this "but the good war will go on" vibe that I wasn't down with. Syrianna was another film I disliked - I think this director and I just don't see eye to eye about much of anything.

Though I haven't seen it in about 10 years, I do remember thinking Sex Lies and Videotape was a very good film, though.

I can see that. It was things like the girl going from being a senator's daughter to a crack whore in such a short time span that made the film rather ridiculous to me. I was also put off by the ending - it had this "but the good war will go on" vibe that I wasn't down with.

The end of the feature film was different than that of the series.

At the end of the series, the message was that yes, the war would go on, but it was unwinnable.

The wrong people are being punished.

It also didn't shy away from the supply/demand aspects of the drug trade.

As long as there is a obscenely lucrative market, due to drugs' illegality, there will be those who suffer from the production and distribution of illegal drugs.

That was it's message.

It was not that the War On Drugs made sense, or could ever be won.

Edited by patricia

I've rented so many from Netflix.

Some I own:

M*A*S*H Seasons 1-11

Sanford And Son Seasons 1-6

Cheers Seasons 1-8

Married With Children Seasons 1-6

Taxi Seasons 1-3

Bob Newhart Show Seasons 1-4

Magnum, PI Seasons 1-5

Kung Fu Seasons 1-3

The Greatest American Hero Seasons 1-3

• 2 weeks later...

"The ideal marriage is the one where the husband is smarter than the wife. The next is where the husband and wife have the same IQ. The third is where the wife's IQ is one point higher than the husband's. And the worst, which is ours, is where the wife has an IQ of 151 and the husband has an IQ of 129, which is a difference of..."

"Twenty-two, Bob."

• 1 month later...