Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get TV reception, as I am opposed to the idea of paying for a service that is 99% crap. I rely on the radio for news and buy the DVDs of the shows I want to watch. So far I have:

Twin Peaks Seasons 1&2 (2 is on pre-order)

Six Feet Under Complete Series

Sopranos Seasons 1 - 6p1

Deadwood Season 1

Danger Man - Complete 30 minute episodes

Danger Man - Complete 1 hr episodes

CYE - Seasons 1-5

Prisoner - Complete Series (far inferior to Danger Man but has its moments)

South Park Seasons 1-9

Complete Mr. Bean

Complete Office (UK)

SNL Season 1 (I sort of regret this one)

Muppets Season 1

Twilight Zone Season 1

I think the next big purchase will be the complete Inspector Morse, but it's really hard to find a good deal on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get TV reception, as I am opposed to the idea of paying for a service that is 99% crap. I rely on the radio for news and buy the DVDs of the shows I want to watch. So far I have:

I'm with you on that, JL. I never watch TV. I have a few DVDs of mysteries like Peter Gunn, Mr. & Mrs. North and Dragnet. I spent an evening watching them not long ago.

One day when the credit cards are paid off I'll get the Danger Mans. I'm jealous!

I'm with you on that, JL. I never watch TV. I have a few DVDs of mysteries like Peter Gunn, Mr. & Mrs. North and Dragnet. I spent an evening watching them not long ago.

One day when the credit cards are paid off I'll get the Danger Mans. I'm jealous!

If you watch Amazon, I think you'll find that the prices of the A&E DVDs are very volatile (at least that used to be the case). I remember taking advantage of a downward price swing and picking these both up for around $150.

Twin Peaks Season 2 arrived this week. With the exception of the log lady intros, the sound and video quality is very good. The set is light on the special features, but it was quality transfers of the episodes I was after, anyway.

There's supposed to be a big box set of the complete series coming out later this year, which will contain both seasons, the pilot, and presumably a bunch of extras. I believe the rights to the series have changed hands since the first season was released and subsequently went out of print, but rather than releasing a complete series box straight away, the new rightsholders instead decided to go with a separate second season release aimed at those who'd already purchased the first season set.

Any Northern Exposure fans on Board?

Yep. I have Seasons 1-3, and will get the rest in the next few months. What will be particularly interesting is that I watched the first two seasons regularly, then moved to a place where I didn't have a TV. I really didn't miss it except for Northern Exposure and had a friend tape those. But inevitably I missed many of them, so the later seasons will be almost completely new to me. It should be kind of exciting.

Anyway, I stayed away from TV for pretty close to 10 years throughout the 1990s, but then got into Futurama. I even started to arrange staying over at my girlfriend's place to watch that show. She did marry me, so I guess she didn't think that was too obsessive.

There's usually just one show I really like, and I won't watch anything else, though for a little while I was splitting my loyalties between Arrested Development and My Name is Earl, but that has been resolved now.

Twin Peaks Season 2 arrived this week. With the exception of the log lady intros, the sound and video quality is very good. The set is light on the special features, but it was quality transfers of the episodes I was after, anyway.

There's supposed to be a big box set of the complete series coming out later this year, which will contain both seasons, the pilot, and presumably a bunch of extras. I believe the rights to the series have changed hands since the first season was released and subsequently went out of print, but rather than releasing a complete series box straight away, the new rightsholders instead decided to go with a separate second season release aimed at those who'd already purchased the first season set.

I've heard that rumor, too. I already have it all and don't think I will be too tempted to re-buy everything if/when the complete set comes out. The only real upside would be a good transfer of the pilot (which was previously released on a sepearte DVD with very bad video and audio), but the pilot isn't one of the series highlights for me anyway. It will be a good deal for people who didn't buy season 1 in the first place, though.

I'm starting to really enjoy the Columbo DVDs that are out there. They're from the 1970s, and the production values of the series is incredible. Locations, filming, writing, directing, you get a wonderful feel of what NBC could do with a series when they pulled out all the stops and of the major talent behind the camera. Only downside is that they don't have the very cool opening with the man waving the flashlight, set to Mancini's music.

PS: Found the opening on YouTube, of course.

Edited by Matthew

Wow, it was cool to see and hear that again! I remember it well. It's got that period sound of the bass being played w/a pick (like on the Munsters theme, pretty much any Don Knotts movie, etc.).

Susan Saint James was hot back then! I sure noticed, even if Rock Hudson didn't! :)

edit: also, nice to hear the classic voice-over guy at the end.

Edited by Free For All

• 3 weeks later...

On DVD I have M*A*S*H.

On VHS tape I have Get Smart, Odd Couple, Hogan's Heros and M*A*S*H.

I really wish they'd stop changing the technology....it'll cost me a small fortune to change all these over to DVD.

sheesh

• 3 weeks later...

Got Scrubs season five today, and actually, the episodes are better than season four. For some reason, I can watch the Scrubs DVDs for hours on end. I'm thinking of getting the USA version of The Office for my vacation; just looking at the highlights on YouTube, it seems interesting and funny. Anyone here like it?

51FKeu6Dl4L._AA240_.jpg

I have all five volumes of the original Twilight Zone series, though I haven't watched all of them yet. It even includes shows that were not syndicated for later rebroadcast.

I'm still debating whether to acquire the Homicide: Life on the Streets series. The later seasons were marred by inconsistent writing and the addition of a few less than interesting characters.

I have all five volumes of the original Twilight Zone series, though I haven't watched all of them yet. It even includes shows that were not syndicated for later rebroadcast.

I'm still debating whether to acquire the Homicide: Life on the Streets series. The later seasons were marred by inconsistent writing and the addition of a few less than interesting characters.

I know what you mean, but only the seventh (and final) season is really bad, I think.

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

anyone picking up next week?

I remember when this show was on in prime time (1972 or so). It was mildly entertaining for the time, but with all the animated series that have come since I'm not so sure it has aged well. It might be interesting as a reflection of social/political topics (and stereotypes) of that period, but I really don't remember it being that good. I am interested in some of the other 70s TV shows, not so much this one. :)