Crazy Horse & Aretha Franklin/King Curtis

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Only had time to listen to the first disc - the sound is fine, and the playing is red hot. The King Curtis/ Memphis Horns material surpassed my expectations! Billy Preston guests on one cut, My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. I guess that is the only quibble I have is the choice of songs, but this was a deliberate decision, as they were playing for mostly white audience. You got your Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, etc. in there, but King Curtis and Aretha just make them their own tunes. Great! :tup

• 7 years later...

I ordered the Aretha/Curtis. Not just are there unreleased cuts, it seems that the shows have been restored to complete and sequential form.

Ain't no way I'm missing this one!

And now, nearly eight years later, I'm listening to it.

It's funny to hear a less-than-perfectly rehearsed show get through/over the moments of uncertainty by faking absolute certainty until they can actually have it. Professional all the way!

Bernard Purdie's work on these shows should be Required Listening for any and all drummers who have never played a show before. Drive the bus, man, drive the bus.

Edited by JSngry

And now, nearly eight years later, I'm listening to it.

It's funny to hear a less-than-perfectly rehearsed show get through/over the moments of uncertainty by faking absolute certainty until they can actually have it. Professional all the way!

I remember hearing a story about Art Blakey being with a very young band of his in the studio. It was not going well because the young players were nervous, and he told them "If you play a wrong note, play it loud, and then play it again, and they'll think that's what you meant to play". And I saw Javon Jackson spend a whole show with the Harper Brothers (Penn's Landing in Philly, circa 1989) where he seemed to be doing exactly that.