advocate for a Wes Montogomery Select?

I'm digging the reissue of Live at the Half Note and am rediscovering Wes...

Looking over at AMG.. they have his 1st 4 albums as on Pacific Jazz...

1957 Fingerpickin' - Pacific Jazz

1958 Montgomery Brothers - Pacific

1958 Kismet - Pacific Jazz

1958 Far Wes - Pacific Jazz

From what I can do two of those have been issued as CDs and two haven't... Anyc chance we can lobby for all 4 to be released as a Mosaic Select??? (With some unreleased stuff???)

Whaddya think?

:cool::)

Actually, "Fingerpickin'" and "Far Wes" are both currently in print, and between them, they contain all the tracks from "Montgomery Brothers" and the tracks from "Kismet" on which Wes had a solo (on the other "Kismet" tracks he just played rhythm). So, while I'd love to see a Select with OOP or unreleased Montgomery, these 4 PJ albums are pretty much covered (except for the rhythm-only tracks on "Kismet") by the 2 CD's still in print.

By the way, TM, if you're digging the Half Note date, you should really check out the 2-CD Definitive :o set "Complete Live in Paris 1965." From the same period as "Half Note," it has great music (including a guest appearance by Johnny Griffin) and sound. You can read a fairly in-depth AMG review and hear samples here.

From what I can do two of those have been issued as CDs and two haven't...

A few facts (which you'd never get from perusing AMG):

FINGERPICKIN' and FAR WES were not PJ albums. Those are the titles (taken from song titles) of two 1990's CD's which reissued World Pacific material by The Montgomery Brothers. KISMET was a Mastersounds LP on World Pacific, on which Wes appeared. "THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS" was never a title used on WP or PJ (it was used as a title for a Fantasy LP). The original albums by the MB's were:

THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS AND FIVE OTHERS (World Pacific 1240)

MONTGOMERYLAND (Pacific Jazz 5)

WES, BUDDY AND MONK MONTGOMERY (Pacific Jazz 17)- a reissue of WP 1240.

From what I can do two of those have been issued as CDs and two haven't...

A few facts (which you'd never get from perusing AMG):

FINGERPICKIN' and FAR WES were not PJ albums. Those are the titles (taken from song titles) of two 1990's CD's which reissued World Pacific material by The Montgomery Brothers. KISMET was a Mastersounds LP on World Pacific, on which Wes appeared. "THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS" was never a title used on WP or PJ (it was used as a title for a Fantasy LP). The original albums by the MB's were:

THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS AND FIVE OTHERS (World Pacific 1240)

MONTGOMERYLAND (Pacific Jazz 5)

WES, BUDDY AND MONK MONTGOMERY (Pacific Jazz 17)- a reissue of WP 1240.

But, just to confuse this even more, the CD's "Fingerpickin" and "Far Wes" are issued under the Pacific Jazz label (at least the ones I have right in front of me are :rolleyes: ). And isn't almost all of the Montgomery Brothers material now available on those 2 CD's and "Groove Yard" (OJC/Riverside) and "Groove Brothers" (Milestone)? If there is a significant amount of OOP or unissued Montgomery Brothers material, I'd love to see it as a Select. Wes' recordings with his brothers are among my favorites.

But, just to confuse this even more, the CD's "Fingerpickin" and "Far Wes" are issued under the Pacific Jazz label (at least the ones I have right in front of me are

Right, but referring to them as among "the first four albums" and placing the original dates next to them makes it look like they were originally issued as LP's with those titles. This is standard procedure for AMG, which will forever cloud things for a lot of people.

And isn't almost all of the Montgomery Brothers material now available on those 2 CD's and "Groove Yard" (OJC/Riverside) and "Groove Brothers" (Milestone)?  If there is a significant amount of OOP or unissued Montgomery Brothers material, I'd love to see it as a Select.

Don't forget about DANGEROUS (Milestone 9298), which includes 6 tracks previously issued only in Riverside box set; and 3 previously unissued tracks from "The Montgomery Brothers In Canada" session.

Also, there's the 1961 Jorgie's material, which has been released on CD at least a couple of times (VGM, Magnetic).

Don't forget about DANGEROUS (Milestone 9298), which includes . . . 3 previously unissued tracks from "The Montgomery Brothers In Canada" session.

The rest of which are on "Groove Brothers."

Also, there's the 1961 Jorgie's material, which has been released on CD at least a couple of times (VGM, Magnetic).

And is currently available on Definitive :o .

So, in other words, virtually all of the Montgomery Brothers material is currently available?

thanks and I'm on IT!.... An interesting note on the reissue... on Live at the Half Note... for anyone who got it... Does track 9... "Oh you crazy moon" sound awful? IIt sounds very low.. like they were 5 feet behind the mikes... Is it just my copy/system or did someone else notice this?

Actually, "Fingerpickin'" and "Far Wes" are both currently in print, and between them, they contain all the tracks from "Montgomery Brothers" and the tracks from "Kismet" on which Wes had a solo (on the other "Kismet" tracks he just played rhythm).  So, while I'd love to see a Select with OOP or unreleased Montgomery, these 4 PJ albums are pretty much covered (except for the rhythm-only tracks on "Kismet") by the 2 CD's still in print.

By the way, TM, if you're digging the Half Note date, you should really check out the 2-CD Definitive  :o set "Complete Live in Paris 1965."  From the same period as "Half Note," it has great music (including a guest appearance by Johnny Griffin) and sound.  You can read a fairly in-depth AMG review and hear samples here.

Don't forget about DANGEROUS (Milestone 9298), which includes . . . 3 previously unissued tracks from "The Montgomery Brothers In Canada" session.

The rest of which are on "Groove Brothers."

Right. That CD contains THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS IN CANADA and the aforementioned Fantasy LP, THE MONTGOMERY BROTHERS.

So, in other words, virtually all of the Montgomery Brothers material is currently available?

Looks that way. I was surprised when you said FAR WES was still in print (FINGERPICKIN' was issued much later). But I have no idea if that's correct.

The unabridged Kismet album (Cuscuna found the arrangements without Wes soloing "rather stilted") was added to the LoneHill reissue of the Jon Hendricks World Pacific album "A Good Git Together":

c3587.jpg

The tracks left off the Pacific Jazz CD are not that bad, and the Hendricks jam with Wes is a must for any serious fan.

c3587-2.jpgc3587-3.jpg

BTW - all of the Montgomery Brothers or Mastersounds recordings with Wes are in print (World Pacific, Fantasy, Riverside) - the Jazzland of George Shearing with the Montgomery Brothers hasn't been mentioned.

For that reason I'd rather see a box set of the Brothers' recordings without Wes - much rarer and they were a fine band, period.

For that reason I'd rather see a box set of the Brothers' recordings without Wes - much rarer and they were a fine band, period.

:tup I've been crying for a Mastersounds set for a long time. I know they're too laid back for some, but they're not THAT laid back. I enjoy them a great deal. Sometimes I wonder about M.C.- he didn't like Joe Pass' SIMPLICITY album, either, which I think is very worthwhile.