New Coltrane Release

gslade

Great news except the Diz and Bird and the Monk and Trane are never previously issued items.

The Coltrane at the Half Note material has been available before on several bootlegs. There is a 3LP box from Audiofidelity 'John Coltrane Quartet Live at the Half Note' which came out in 1984. It includes 'One Up, One Down' and seven other tracksd. Maybe the new release will have better sound!

As I don't follow bootlegs or torrents to closley (not claiming morality just don't have the time and money to keep up)

It is still new to me and as you say brownie, it should be in as good as sound as possible.

Parts of it have been available on a semi-legit (ie find it at Tower) Laserlight reissue, but I imagine this one will be with much better sound. The music is incredible.

Guy

Edited by Guy

IIRC, some of the Laserlight is actually from 1963 (could be wrong about that, though). This stuff is from 1965 right towards the end of the "Classic Quartet", and it will scare the shit out of you if you ain't ready for it.

No, you are right. I think the only tune on the Laserlight from 1965 is "Song of Praise". (And stupidly, the same track appears twice on that CD, once under the name "Brazilia".)

I'm not sure how they will be able to fit all four Half Note dates on two CDs -- it'd be a shame if they omitted anything.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I just read the article -- it looks like only half of the engagement is being issued, and the best performance ("Creation") is not going to be included. It won't include a great performance of "Impressions" either. Verve, you suck! :tdown

Edited by Guy

I just read the article -- it looks like only half of the engagement is being issued, and the best performance ("Creation") is not going to be included.  It won't include a great performance of "Impressions" either.  Verve, you suck! :tdown

gotta save something for the eventual "Complete" box set!! :ph34r:

I just read the article -- it looks like only half of the engagement is being issued, and the best performance ("Creation") is not going to be included.  It won't include a great performance of "Impressions" either.  Verve, you suck! :tdown

The tunes listed suggest that they are releasing the 3/26/65 and 5/7/65 broadcasts. This equals only about 84 minutes of music - a little skimpy for two CDs. They could easily fit either of the other two nights onto a 2-CD set - hopefully there's more to the release than the article suggests. ALL of it would fit onto three CDs by shuffling the order of the performances a little.

This is esential Trane, IMHO. It looks unlikely, but let's hope that Verve does the right thing...

• 2 weeks later...

The tunes listed suggest that they are releasing the 3/26/65 and 5/7/65 broadcasts. This equals only about 84 minutes of music - a little skimpy for two CDs. They could easily fit either of the other two nights onto a 2-CD set -  hopefully there's more to the release than the article suggests. ALL of it would fit onto three CDs by shuffling the order of the performances a little.

In other words--we're getting half a Half Note.