REMEMBER WHAT LARRY BROWN SAID!!

Is this guy for real?? Wants everyone's pity for being "dumped" by Detroit?? BS He planned his move and remember he once said "Detroit is my LAST coaching job." What a liar. Larry Brown will do the same thing to New York after two years. Who knows, maybe even one year..... :excited:

For all of you who think LB is so great, try turning around and pulling the knife out of your back.

:bwallace:

Oh, come on! I'm from Philly, Brown's last city left behind and if anyone anywhere doesn't know Larry Brown's MO by now, anyone who actually is naive enough to feel betrayed when he moves along . . . well, now, I find it hard to believe there is such a person.

I mean, you might be disappointed that he doesn't stick around, but betrayed? It's like feeling betrayed when a bird craps on your car.

Brown likes to overachieve, and when he feels he can't overachieve anymore he leaves. Or if he just feels like it, he leaves. Larry Brown leaves. Larry Brown means "see you later" in several languages. Larry Brown is a great basketball coach who will be coaching some other team in a couple of years, no matter what he tells you.

Larry Brown,

--eric

As a die-hard Pistons fan I dont think we were betrayed or we have knives in our back. We have a championship and we made it to game 7 of the finals this year. Im glad Larry was here, and I think his teaching will still make us a great team next year.

I am also very interested in what he can do with that horrible horrible Knicks team.

They say LeBron will bolt to the Knicks when his contract is up in Cleveland. He has lucrative incentives in his Nike contract to play on either of the coasts. I was hoping he might come over to the Lakeshow...

They say LeBron will bolt to the Knicks when his contract is up in Cleveland.  He has lucrative incentives in his Nike contract to play on either of the coasts.  I was hoping he might come over to the Lakeshow...

That's wishful thinking by New Yorkers. Cleveland will surely sign him to a long-term max contract once he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of next year.

Guy

LB is not a great coach, maybe a good one, but not great. Red Auerbach and John Wooden were great, Red Holzman was great, Dean Smith was great, Adolph Rupp was great, Chuck Daley was great, Lennie Wilkens was great, Pat Riley was great and Phil Jackson was great and a couple more whose names escape me at the moment. But not Larry Brown. He runs from greatness. Anyway, we have and are entitled to our opinion. Larry Brown's name cannot be mentioned in the same context as the above.

Edit: I find it amusing that anyone can call LB an overachiever and a great coach in the same breath.

<_<

Edited by BruceW

Just a quick added note,

Popovich, whom LB guided into the league, is even better than LB. Pops has won three titles and made it deeper into the playoffs more times than LB. :)

I just think it is wonderful what PR can do for a person. :lol:

To answer an earlier thread, I do not feel betrayed. I just so happened to be the only person on these forums who forsaw LB pulling what he did as early as the day after the Pistons won their title. Maybe I am just pissed that he actually did it and the way he did it.

Having said that, peace to everyone. :)

Popovich, whom LB guided into the league, is even better than LB.  Pops has won three titles and made it deeper into the playoffs more times than LB.  :)

This is arguable, of course, but Popovich's teams have been much better talent-wise than Brown's, with two of the most dominant big men of the past 20 years and strong supporting casts. Brown took the Clippers above 500 (as md pointed out) and won 56 games with the 76ers in 2001.

I will agree that Pop is probably the most underrated coach in the league, probably because he hasn't changed teams in a long time.

Guy

Another point about Popovich is that he's been the GM of that team too, from 94-2002. So in effect he was the one who put that talent together, in addition to coaching it to three championships.

Brown comes in and takes an existing roster and makes it do things it couldn't previously.

Another point about Popovich is that he's been the GM of that team too, from 94-2002.  So in effect he was the one who put that talent together, in addition to coaching it to three championships. 

Brown comes in and takes an existing roster and makes it do things it couldn't previously.

Sorry, Joe Dumars made the deal to bring in the final piece of the team half way through a bad season, Rasheed Wallace, not Larry Brown. Without Sheed, Detroit was not going anywhere. I don't have the figures but I am sure someone has the team record just before Sheed was brought in. Detroit was still a so so team at that time.

Edited by BruceW

Sorry, Joe Dumars made the deal to bring in the final piece of the team half way through a bad season, Rasheed Wallace, not Larry Brown.  Without Sheed, Detroit was not going anywhere.  I don't have the figures but I am sure someone has the team record just before Sheed was brought in.

Your memory is playing tricks on you in this case:

Record before Rasheed Wallace came in (2004): 34-22

Record through 56 games in 2005: 36-20

Guy

Brown's only won one championship, and his teams are not always right there, BUT these aren't the only standard by which coaches should be judged. Anyone can see who wins the championship every year, so it is an easy standard to apply, but by that standard there is one successful coach every year and a couple of dozen bums. We all know that isn't true.

I never thought much about Brown until I saw him coach the Sixers, whom I was follwing very closely at the time. I watched that team when they were a traversty (stackhouse/iverson turnover frenzy!) andnI watched them make their run in 2001. Larry Brown is a very good coach, who chooses team leaders well (Aaron McKie, for instance), gets a lot out of big men with limited abilities, and gets some truly amazing defensive performnaces built on hustle and smarts.

Iverson is ajaw-dropping player. I saw him as a rookie at floor level, and I have never seen anyone with that sort of ability to change direction with the ball and just leave people behind. He's got a lot of guts and a lot of will to win. But if he has grown into something more than a gifted player (and I think he has) it is largely because of Brown.

--eric

edit to get jerry stackhouse's name right

Edited by Dr. Rat

Another point about Popovich is that he's been the GM of that team too, from 94-2002.  So in effect he was the one who put that talent together, in addition to coaching it to three championships. 

Sorry, Joe Dumars made the deal to bring in the final piece of the team half way through a bad season, Rasheed Wallace, not Larry Brown. Without Sheed, Detroit was not going anywhere. I don't have the figures but I am sure someone has the team record just before Sheed was brought in. Detroit was still a so so team at that time.

Before the Rasheed trade they were 34-22. After the trade they went 20-6! And WHIPPED the Lakers in the NBA finals.

Before the Rasheed trade they were 34-22. After the trade they went 20-6!  And WHIPPED the Lakers in the NBA finals.

As I pointed out above, in 2005 they were 36-20 through 56 games. Afterward they went 18-8. Not a huge difference between the two seasons.

FWIW, I used to think Larry Brown was overrated as well until last year's finals.

Guy