August 2 RVGs

scottb

Guest akanalog

i guess "the duel" is an anamoly in his catalog and that is why i like it the best.

too bad he didn't do more stuff like this-his mastery is unquestioned.

i would say-i think he gets a bit out on the smalls paradise stuff, but donald bailey doesn't stoke the fire and "duel" with him like blakey does here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm losing track in my old age...

The sessions with Mobley have yet to be put on CD except for the Mosaic box, correct?  Those I will pick up ASAP, I can never get enough Hank (although I passed on Good Move).

Bertrand.

This is true, those w/Mobley and Smith aren't out on CD (although there are JRVGs of them) in the US. But, here we go with a second RECENT edition of Vol. 3! Who's running this show anyway, Crackhead Bob?

Those sure are nice scans, thanks for posting them!

Back cover scans are so cool.

Interesting- I knew I could find good scans at the gokudo.co.jp site, but the old scans seemed to be gone (I tried to access them using Google as a shortcut, and the cached images were inaccessible). So, I went to the site, scrolled down, and noticed all the back cover scans and knew something had changed. These new scans are about 50% bigger, I think! :cool:

Re the sessions with Mobley (A DATE WITH J.S., VOL'S 1 & 2), there's another example of J.S. releases that should have been out on CD in the U.S. ages ago. :wacko: I've got TOCJ's- ditto for AT THE ORGAN.

I picked up Oblique and Judgment and was very happy with the sound, particularly after the what I felt was a horrible job on The Big Beat.

I will say however that my copy of Judgment had finger or lip prints in red all over it - not sure if paint or nail polish, lipstick?

Back to the store and second copy did not have it.

So, I went to the site, scrolled down, and noticed all the back cover scans and knew something had changed.  These new scans are about 50% bigger, I think!  :cool:

IMMENSELY cool!!! Right after you posted the back of those JOS discs, I started wishing that there was a site that had scans of the back covers.

I guess you read my mind! But then it also shows how long it’s been since I visited that site!

Guest akanalog

who is this marion booker fellow drumming on "think"? never heard of him.

also-for those who don't know-"time for tyner" is, IMO, his best blue note album.

i love the herbie lewis/freddie waits combo.

Well, I fell for it...couldn't resist. I bought Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 3, and I'm glad I did. The sound is better and it gave me a chance to really focus in on some of this stuff more than I have in the past. There is some VERY incredible playing here. The whole CD is worth the price alone for "Slightly Monkish." I've heard this before, but for some reason it really caught me this time...

To hear Smith tackling Monk so much with Slightly Monkish and Well, You Needn't is pretty incredible at this early stage in the game. Not until Larry Young's Monk's Dream did this happen again on the organ I believe (takes visionaries no doubt.)

Edited by Soul Stream

Back to JOS- I may have missed it above, but just incase: At the Organ v1 & 2 will be out in Sept/Oct in the $15 TOCJ series.  They're bound to get to DATE soon, right?

You'd certainly think so. I've lost track of how many different series of BN's have been released in Japan up to now (and I'm only thinking of the jewel cased versions). My TOCJ copies of A DATE WITH go back to 1996, and they may have been out before that (possibly in the "CJ" series of the late 80's ?).

Well, I fell for it...couldn't resist.  I bought Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 3, and I'm glad I did.  The sound is better and it gave me a chance to really focus in on some of this stuff more than I have in the past.  There is some VERY incredible playing here.  The whole CD is worth the price alone for "Slightly Monkish."  I've heard this before, but for some reason it really caught me this time...

How many tracks on the new version? My TOCJ only has 7. Did they include "Jamey" (the other "unissued" track listed in the discog besides "slightly monkish")? "All the things you are" is listed as "rejected"...

11 tracks in all.

One other thing....Bob Blumenthal mentioned in his new liner notes to JOS Vol 3 that Slightly Monkish had been covered by LONNIE Smith also on this Lenox and Seventh CD. Well, there is a tune by that name on there, but it's a totally different tune.....your bad Bob. :P

Was there an AT THE ORGAN, Vol. 1 & 2 album/CD?

bn1500%20101.jpg

bn1500%20102.jpg

bn1500%20103.jpg

bn1500%20104.jpg

I'm amazed that so many people still don't know about these, but I guess it's because they haven't been released on CD individually in the US.

Damn, those are the dirtiest JRVG mini-LP covers that I've ever seen!

:g