August 2 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, Tjazz when Jimmy's first 3 albums (including the above shown vol. 3) were reissued in a 2 CD set a few years ago.

Yes, and this keeping in mind his masterpieces "Jimmy Smith AT THE ORGAN Vol 1 and 2" have NEVER seen the light of day on CD in the USA. Sometimes Blue Note just is plain frustrating. :tdown:angry:

yes, Tjazz when Jimmy's first 3 albums (including the above shown vol. 3) were reissued in a 2 CD set a few years ago.

Yes, and this keeping in mind his masterpieces "Jimmy Smith AT THE ORGAN Vol 1 and 2" have NEVER seen the light of day on CD in the USA. Sometimes Blue Note just is plain frustrating. :tdown:angry:

Soul Stream, I expect you mean the two albums originally released as Blue Note 1541 and 1542 with Kenny Burrell, lou Donaldson and Art Blakey : I never found them except from japanese imports at crazy prices...Confusion can be made with the three first Jimmy albums which were called A new Sound A new Star, but also At the Organ vol.3 for the BLP1525.

I sure would like to see these on RVG, together with my favourite Crazy baby...One can only hope :crazy::rmad:

Soul Stream, I expect you mean the two albums originally released as Blue Note 1541 and 1542 with Kenny Burrell, lou Donaldson and Art Blakey : I never found them except from japanese imports at crazy prices...Confusion can be made with the three first Jimmy albums which were called A new Sound A new Star, but also At the Organ vol.3 for the BLP1525.

I sure would like to see these on RVG, together with my favourite Crazy baby...One can only hope :crazy::rmad:

Yes AT THE ORGAN...the ones with alternate blue/yellow covers, same picture of Jimmy with his hands crossed over on the upper manual...CLASSIC SHOT!!!! I WISH those were the ones being released today.

....And YES...THINK! is a must have Lonnie Smith. Don't be fooled by covers of 3 Blind Mice and Think, they are unlike any others you've heard. This album smokes.

Edited by Soul Stream

Guest akanalog

JIMMY SMITH AT THE ORGAN VOLUME 2 IS ONE OF THE GREATEST BLUE NOTE ALBUMS I OWN.

I DO NOT EVEN LIKE ORGAN ALBUMS SO MUCH AND SOLD EVERY OTHER JIMMY SMITH ALBUM I OWNED (WHICH WAS ALMOST ALL OF THE BLUE NOTES) BUT THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE ALBUM. THE DUET BETWEEN SMITH AND ART BLAKEY ON "THE DUEL" IS SOME FORWARD LOOKING PROGRESSIVE STUFF. I THINK THAT IS WHY I LIKE THIS ONE-BLAKEY INSTEAD ON DONALD BAILEY ON SOME TRACKS. MORE MY STYLE. VOLUME 1 DOESN'T DO IT FOR ME...

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH-MANY PEOPLE HERE ON THIS BOARD LOVE THE ORGAN JAZZ AND THIS IS AN OVERLOOKED GEM.

Fortunately all this stuff is on the Mosaic set.

I'm glad I got this one!!!

Here are the details:

THE COMPLETE FEBRUARY 1957 JIMMY SMITH BLUE NOTE SESSIONS

Mosaic MD3-154 [CD]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A) Blue Note BLP 1547 - A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol.1

(B) Blue Note BLP 1548 - A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol.2

© Blue Note BLP 1551 - Jimmy Smith At The Organ Vol.1

(D) Blue Note BLP 1552 - Jimmy Smith At The Organ Vol.2

(E) Blue Note BLP 1556 - The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith

(F) Blue Note BST 89901 - Jimmy Smith's Greatest Hits double LP

(G) Blue Note BST 89903 - Blue Note's Three Decades of Jazz 1949-1959 double LP

(H) Blue Note BNLA 159-2 - reissue of (G)

(I) Blue Note BNLA 400-2 - Jimmy Smith double LP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donald Byrd trumpet

Lou Donaldson alto sax

Hank Mobley tenor sax

Jimmy Smith organ

Eddie McFadden guitar

Art Blakey drums

(A) 1-1 Falling In Love With Love 12:05

1-2 First Night Blues 8:12 [no horns]

(A) 1-3 Funk's Oates 15:54 (45-1677)

(E) 2-1 Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart 8:35 [no horns]

(B) 1-4 Groovy Date 13:00

(B) 1-5 I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart 16:59

Lou Donaldson alto sax

Jimmy Smith organ

(B) 2-2 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You 4:11 (45-1668)

© 2-3 Summertime 4:30 (45-1667)

Jimmy Smith organ

Eddie McFadden guitar

Donald Bailey drums

(E) 3-1 Somebody Loves Me 5:12

Lou Donaldson alto sax

Jimmy Smith organ

Eddie McFadden guitar

Donald Bailey drums

(D) 2-4 Plum Nellie 7:37

2-5 Plum Nellie [alt.take] 5:53 (45-1668)

Lou Donaldson alto sax

Jimmy Smith organ

Kenny Burrell guitar

Art Blakey drums

(D) 2-6 Billie's Bounce 8:21

© 2-7 Yardbird Suite 8:55 (G,H)

© 2-8 There's A Small Hotel 11:51 [no alto sax]

© 2-9 All Day Long 10:28 (45-1676,F)

Jimmy Smith organ

Eddie McFadden guitar

Donald Bailey drums

3-2 The Third Day 6:41

(E) 3-3 All The Things You Are 5:34 [organ solo]

(E) 3-4 The Fight 5:03 [organ solo]

(E) 3-5 There Will Never Be Another You 5:33 (45-1686)

(A) 3-6 How High The Moon 5:56 (45-1667)

(D) 3-7 Buns A Plenty 6:56

(D) 3-8 The Duel 10:25 [smith/Blakey duo]

(E) 3-9 Blue Moon 8:41 (45-1685,I)

3-10 Cherokee 8:12

those are GREAT essential Jimmy Smith albums.  However, those vols, do not correspond with "Jimmy Smith At the Organ, Volume 3."  Volume 3 is a follow up to "A New Sound, A New Star, Jimmy Smith At the Organ" volumes 1&2 which were Blue Note 1512 and 1514

I have the Mosaic too thankfully. :)  "The Duel" sounds to me as if it predates free jazz in a way, does this track indeed go "out", Jim, Soulstream, anybody?

"The Duel" is just an anomoly in the Jimmy Smith catalog. Totally unihibited, unrestrained mastery of the instrument. It isn't really "out" in the jazz sense, more along the lines of Monk meets Bach. One of the all-time great organ cuts. Unbelievable what that man could do on a Hammond organ. And at the time of "The Duel," he hadn't even been playing organ THAT long.... :wacko: