Lester Young....

pryan

Last fall on that other BB, I posted a thread asking for Lester Young recommendations. JSngry said to get all the Pres available and now I know that he wasn't joking at all.

I've since become a Prez fanatic, having bought numerous albums (which I will list below) and read two books on the man.

Here is what I have so far:

- A MUSICAL ROMANCE (w/ Billie)

- THE KANSAS CITY SESSIONS

- THE COMPLETE ALADDIN SESSIONS

- LESTER YOUNG TRIO (w/ Nat King Cole and Buddy Rich)

- PRES AND TEDDY

- JAZZ GIANTS '56

- LE DERNIER MESSAGE DE LESTER YOUNG

- THE COMPLETE SAVOY SESSIONS

- CHRONOLOGICAL CLASSICS 1939, VOL. 2 (actually under Basie's name)

So the question is, where do I go from here? Of what I've seen locally under Lester's name (of which I don't own, besides the Verve box - I'd rather get the individual albums, because I'll listen to them more often) are LAUGHIN' TO KEEP FROM CRYING (of which I've heard mixed reviews) and LIVE IN WASHINGTON, vol. 5 (w/the Bill Potts trio). Any comments on these two or any (especially) other more obscure Prez recordings are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Mnytime

What JSngry said! :party:

Though for a more immediate pick up I would go with the Verve Box set. Than all the others mentioned already and than on to the rest as per JSngry's wise recommendation.

Edited by Mnytime

Ghost, I know about the Decca Basie recordings, but have yet to acquire them, although I was really tempted to pick up the definitive set (damn conscience!). I think I'll do like Chuck and get all the Classics re-issues of Basie's "Lester" band.

Harold, the Commodores are on the KANSAS CITY SESSIONS cd, right? I have that and agree, they're a must for me as well (three versions of Prez playing some heavy shit on "rhythm" changes!, can't beat that).

Thanks ghost (and Lon), those more obscure dates are just the kind I'm hunting for. Although, admittedly I still don't have some of the more renowned stuff, such as the aforementioned Basie Deccas. Too much Prez, not enough time...

One of my favorites is the live date from 1950 that has been issued on Savoy under a number of different titles, most notably in the "Jazz Immortals" series. Pres was REALLY on for that date, especially for an extended sublime 10-minute slow blues.

If you like the early Pres, try to find the titles he cut with Glenn Hardman and Lee Castle in the 1930s. The musical context is terrible, but somehow Pres manages to float above it all with some tremendous extended solos. He has more space here than usually was the case with Basie.

I give strong seconds to the Classics series as opposed to the complete Decca. In fact, as brilliant as some of the Decca solos are, Pres plays a lot more on the Columbia material.

If you ask me, this 1956 Paris concert was even stronger (recently rereleased in HighNote)

e64652ls8he.jpg

Another piece of essential Lester that I just recalled: The 1940 jam session with Benny Goodman and Charlie Christian. Speaking of Pres and Charlie Christian, I also give VERY STRONG seconds to the recommendation for the Spiritual to Swing sessions. Also essential!

A note on the Commodore and Keynote K.C. sessions: I think, pryan, what you got is the definitive disc called "Kansas City (something)". This disc has the masters only of the Commodore and the Keynote sessions as well as of another session (which I cannot recall the original label).

Now I have that definitive disc, too, but I also have the Commodore Kansas City Prez disc, which has the alternates and includes another K.C. session without Prez, which is nice to have, too.

The Keynote CD might be pretty hard to find. I don't have it.

ubu

One of my favorites is the live date from 1950 that has been issued on Savoy under a number of different titles, most notably in the "Jazz Immortals" series. Pres was REALLY on for that date, especially for an extended sublime 10-minute slow blues.

If you like the early Pres, try to find the titles he cut with Glenn Hardman and Lee Castle in the 1930s. The musical context is terrible, but somehow Pres manages to float above it all with some tremendous extended solos. He has more space here than usually was the case with Basie.

I give strong seconds to the Classics series as opposed to the complete Decca. In fact, as brilliant as some of the Decca solos are, Pres plays a lot more on the Columbia material.

Thanks for the info John. I think I have that live session from '50, it's on the Complete Savoy set, right? The one with Roy Haynes on drums, I pretty sure, and there's a trumpet player on the date too.

I've never heard of the Glenn Hardman/Lee Castle stuff. I most definitely dig his thirties stuff, and have only a small sampling.

Ubu, I do have the one with all the alternates and the session without Prez, hence the mention in my previous post about the 3 different versions of "I Got Rhythm", on one of the sessions.

Couw, I have the "last session" and agree with your comments.

John L, that Paris concert looks good, and shouldn't be too hard to find. That Jam session w/ Christian, Goodman, et al must be on that Christian box set on Columbia (I've had "big eyes" for that set ever since it came out; now that I know Prez is on it, I may pull the trigger even quicker).

Sorry, pryan! Didn't remember. But I always mix the Commodore and the definitive, so I might have supposed others do this as well... ;)

However: if you don't have the Keynote CD (I'm not a fan of theirs, but sometimes it's an easy way to get some nice material) and can't find it, the definitive might be the one to get. The quartet session with Johnny Guarnieri, Slam Stewart and Big Sid is a bitch!

ubu