WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexico got the result today but they looked shaky. hopefully the win will boost their confidence and they can raise their level in time for the knockout stage. I hope Borgetti is OK to go for their next match.

Didn't watch all of the Netherlands match but they played well. Ruud, Van Perse and Robben looked threatening.

Portugal looked very good but only managed the one goal. I think they will likely explode on Iran and be firing on all cylinders for the next round.

Holland certainly looked very good, but like Portugal and England (and Sweden, come to think of it), they really should have scored more goals. Did anybody else hear the reports about other Dutch players complaining about Robben not sharing the ball today? :huh:^_^

Mexico were not at their best, and overall probably did not deserve a 3-1 result. Iran played a smart, controlled game for about 60 minutes, and then they commit three blunders in defense- one after another, and just fell apart.

Angola is not one of the better defensive teams I've ever seen. :rolleyes: Portugal will have to be sharper against Iran and Mexico.

England seem to have suffered a lot from the heat.

Let's hope that this is the only reason. They started off so well then seemed to lose it completely. Why did that overpaid serial bonker/manager take Owen off after only 50-odd minutes? Still, it's 3 vital points.

Maybe because Owen was clearly not fully fit and completely ineffective.

England never play well in the first match and will improve (it will help that they have no more 1.00 p.m. games). Wayne Rooney at 50% is still better than most other players at 100%.

Kenny!!!!!!!!!

i hope you're still alive!!!

i haven't seen the game but i'm very happy for you and specially because of japan's coach ;)

scoring 3 goals in 7 minutes on a world cup is something to remember

hopefully the Socceroos will not waste this on the following matches

Marcus

ps:tomorrow is the day.....

Edited by marcoliv

WOW, that was $#!+ !!!!

The US were absolutely HORRIBLE!!

I was realistic about our chances in that game and defeat was certainly not unexpected but that was totally worthless!!!

I don't know where to start... OK, yes I do. Demarcus Beasley was terrible. His only good contribution was getting back on defense after he turned the ball over.

I knew the game was over when the Czechs scored first. Today, our best chances were going to come off the counter with Donovan attacking the middle which he did all of twice. Once they scored and could sit back and counter our anemic attacks from the flanks which rarely even led to a service into the box, the game was over.

The warmups proved prophetic, no creativity in attack, few chances and fewer finishes. I just hope we can score a goal or two before heading back to the US!

The subs were a little puzzling. The obvious choice for me would have been Dempsey for Beasley. He would've certainly provided the energy we lacked and maybe a little excitement on the right. And well, Wolff for McBride needs no further explanation.

The only good thing is as an Arsenal fan I'm excited that Rosicky is on his way to London next season!! That was a wicked shot!

First of all, congratulations to Kenny and Australia. Japan's goal should have been disallowed, and it was great to see the socceroos come back and get those goals. :tup

The U.S. ... I'm disappointed and also embarassed by our performance. As Scott said, a loss to the Czechs is not a great shock, but the way we played was a shock. No energy, no aggressiveness, no intelligence or ability to read what was going on in midfield, constantly either giving the ball away or simply passing backward (we did that VERY well <_< )... just embarassing. The only thing I'm thankful to them for is allowing me to relax (and forget about any chance of getting a win or a draw) after about 10 minutes of play. Italy have defeated Ghana, and I can just see it now... the U.S. will (I assume) press the attack against the Italians... our slow, predictable attack, and Italy will sit back and counter-attack. And with their finishing ability, they will likely beat us by a similar score to which we lost today.

Scott, I was surprised that Beasley (I want to call him "measly" today) was in the starting line-up. It's no secret to anyone who has followed the team over the past few months that his game is off- WAY off, and that showed today. His touch is terrible, he isn't beating anyone off the dribble, and he isn't agressive enough in making runs off the ball (although nobody was today). Dempsey (who I thought we should have given a chance to start on the right side) might have at least earned us a few free kicks.

Bobby Convey's crosses were 90% crap today, which was a surprise after the way he'd been playing recently. Cherundolo and Lewis weren't much better. I'm going to have to go back and watch the tape again (as much as I hate the thought of it) and see just why Donovan wasn't more involved. Basically, I think he was simply distributing conservatively and not attacking enough. It was glaring to compare the way the Czech midfielders were reading the game, thinking a step ahead, and attacking as a unit, as compared to our stagnant, "play not to lose" approach. Our defense was subpar, but I think the game was really lost in the midfield.

I knew we had a tough task, but I never dreamed we would come out and play this poorly. :tdown

I don't know squat about soccer, much less World Cup soccer; I watched the first twenty minutes of the US/Czech game on a Spanish-language TV station, so I had no idea what was being discussed among the broadcasters.

Having said that, even I could tell the US team was stinkin' up the joint! That first Czech goal was some kinda wicked and Czech seemed to just dominate the entire time I watched! Yeesh!!! :bad:

Edited by Big Al

Well, I hadn't planned on it and wasn't sure I could stomach it, but I watched the US game again.

On second viewing my feelings about the game are a little different.

Jim, I think you had the right idea about conservative distribution. I've heard people say Donavan checked himself out of the game. I don't think that's the case. He had very little service and McBride had even less. When Donavan got the ball he did some good things, the right things, but unfortunately the final passes weren't there. The fact is our back line, which had most of our possesion, was reluctant or unable to get the ball to the middle. You can see times where Reyna, Donavan and OBrien are showing for the ball and instead our defense pumps it to the wings where it was mishandled, passed back or crossed out of bounds, straight to the keeper or to the defense.

The wing play was pathetic. The Czechs defended the wings very well but there were also a lot of chances for crosses which were squandered. How many did Convey waste? The other problem spot was Lewis. Watch how many long balls he plays from the back, bypassing our midfield players altogether.

I think after the half, these would've been my subs.

Convey out. Demsey in. Beasley to the left, Demsey on the right.

Pablo out. Johnson in up with McBride.

Donovan back deeper in midfield (I shouldn't have to count this one because I would've started Johnson)

Lewis out. Boca in.

Like I said the first time, with that early goal, the Czech had us by the balls and defended very well with numbers making it very difficult to take advantage of our strengths. We're just not good at running the "half court offense"

Caught only the last fifteen minutes of the Australia-Japan match. Watching those Australians score thrice in a few minutes was enthralling. And the joy of the Aussie fans warmed the heart!

The Czech players brought the US team back to earth. Those Czechs should go far in the tournament with all the excellent forwards they have.

As for Italia... mama mia! A real impressive team with Andrea Pirlo proving decisive in the midfield. His goal was magnifico!

I also liked the realistic approach of the Squadra to the match.

I'll forget the scandals and hope to enjoy more games by those Italians!

As for Italia... mama mia! A real impressive team with Andrea Pirlo proving decisive in the midfield. His goal was magnifico!

I also liked the realistic approach of the Squadra to the match.

I'll forget the scandals and hope to enjoy more games by those Italians!

Italy played very well indeed and I was equally impressed by their "realism". But to say they were that big on the midfield would only apply to the latter part of the game. Particularly during the first half, Ghana made the game and Italy only reacted with counter attacks that skipped the midfield. Later on Ghana got decidedly sloppy. Whether the Italians were not able -- with their defense almost rooted in the back -- or not willing to build up their attacks more carefully through a dominance on the midfield I do not know, but if Ghana had had some better forwards to finish things off, it would have been a poor performance by the Italians. With this opponent they performed just right: let them make the game, but prevent them from making goals. Then use the strength of the own forwards to finish it off. Let's hope for them that they have other strategies up their sleeves against the strong czech team!

I really do wish the Italians would drop all the theatrical hollywood shite pretending to have been kicked in half at every little touch.

Re:Performance of the US side. Let's open up our eyes and call a spade a spade. US played against one of the best teams in the world, and lost by [only] 3 goals. No real upset here. US is a 2nd tier team and got what was expected.

I was real impressed by Ghana and of course the Italian team. So far, Italy, along with Argentina and the Czechs have left the best impression on me.

Re:Japan vs. Australia. Neither team will advance, imo.

Slightly Off-Topic .... Has anyone been watching these matches in HDTV [high definition television]?

ABC is airing pretty much all the games in HDTV and it's amazing!!! Being that I'm at work when the games are shown live, I record them on my cable box's digital hard drive recorder and get to comfortably sit back and watch the games at night in glorious HDTV. It's almost like being there...aside from the cretinous commentators.

I got the HD package just for the World Cup and have been disappointed that my cable service has only had a few games in HD. We don't get ESPN2 HD on our service so I'm missing most of them. The ones that are in HD are absolutely brilliant! To me things in HD look more life-like than real life!

I got the HD package just for the World Cup and have been disappointed that my cable service has only had a few games in HD. We don't get ESPN2 HD on our service so I'm missing most of them. The ones that are in HD are absolutely brilliant! To me things in HD look more life-like than real life!

Scott, I also got the HD package specifically for the World Cup, and so far I've been more than happy.

We have Cox Cable here, they're showing most games in HD. Like you said, the WOW factor is nothing short of breathtaking.

Slightly Off-Topic .... Has anyone been watching these matches in HDTV [high definition television]?

Planning to go and see this by the end of this week at the FNAC Digital store not far from my place.

Must say that so far I have not been impressed by the TV screens developments and still stick to my regular tube 4/3 shaped screen.

BUT I have seen demonstrations of HDTV videos and very much like what I saw. Amazing image quality!

My next TV will probably be a HDTV set... when my current TV gives up!

Scott, I also got the HD package specifically for the World Cup, and so far I've been more than happy.

We have Cox Cable here, they're showing most games in HD. Like you said, the WOW factor is nothing short of breathtaking.

I have Cox Cable too. Do you have ESPN2 HD? Is that where all the games are? Our ABC HD channel and ESPN HD channel have only had 2 or three games.

I have Cox Cable too. Do you have ESPN2 HD? Is that where all the games are? Our ABC HD channel and ESPN HD channel have only had 2 or three games.

Yes, check out the ESPN2 HD. On my dial it is channel 700.something.

Today's HDTV schedule -

2006 FIFA World Cup presented by Adidas (HD)

South Korea vs Togo

Frankfurt, , Germany

First Round 8:55 am to

11:00 am

World Cup Live (HD) 11:00 am to

11:55 am

France vs Switzerland

Stuttgart, , Germany

First Round 11:55 am to

2:00 pm

World Cup Live (HD) 2:00 pm to

2:55 pm

Brazil vs Croatia

Berlin, , Germany

First Round 2:55 pm to

5:00 pm

Edited by Dmitry

Re:Performance of the US side. Let's open up our eyes and call a spade a spade. US played against one of the best teams in the world, and lost by [only] 3 goals. No real upset here. US is a 2nd tier team and got what was expected.

Dmitry, the uproar, the disappointment, the utter disgust that many U.S. fans feel is not due to the fact that we lost. It's all about the way we lost- the way we played. Playing like that, we would have lost to Angola, Trinidad & Tobago, Togo... you name it. THAT is why people are upset. The Czechs are an excellent squad, and they definitely showed it, so it's not about disrespecting who they are and what they did.

Dmitry, the uproar, the disappointment, the utter disgust that many U.S. fans feel is not due to the fact that we lost. It's all about the way we lost- the way we played. Playing like that, we would have lost to Angola, Trinidad & Tobago, Togo... you name it. THAT is why people are upset. The Czechs are an excellent squad, and they definitely showed it, so it's not about disrespecting who they are and what they did.

Yeah, the real scary part is that if the US had caused any problems for the Czechs they may have actually mounted an attack and probably would have scored every 5 minutes! They scored three without even trying! They basically made about 5 real attempts to score and got 3 goals. That's an efficient scoring machine if there ever was one. It really serves as an excellent foil for the US team. The Czechs needed only one chance to cross to put the ball perfectly on Koller's head where the only option was to score. The US crossed 20 or so and none found a target.

Jim, I am guilty of not being a fan of the US soccer team [never followed their games, don't know much about them, don't follow MLS Soccer. I was born and raised on the best European and South American teams of the 1980s]. They look like a solid, yet average group with no star players among them, hence my prior diagnosis. I suppose they could play a heck of a lot more cohesively, though. Let's see what happens.

The US performance wasn't disappointing in that the team didn't show up. There's one thing and go down fighting like the Ivory Coast. No shame there. I saw a comment on the BBC that we're one striker away from being a good team. That may be true. I also didn't like it that Arena publicly criticized the performances. That should go on behind closed doors. Why weren't they ready? I don't know but that's the job of the coach to have them ready. It's not a question of results, but performance.