WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

The other thing I've noticed about the officiatig besides being really easy with the cards, is missing offsides calls. I've seen numerous call some wrongly called onside some wrongly call offside.

I watch a lot of EPL and on first galnce when you think they've blown it, 99% of the time the replay shows the linesman to be right. In This World Cup the officials seem to be missing a whole lot more.

Interesting...I hadn't noticed this about the World Cup officiating, which, on the whole, seems to me to have been rather good. Granted a couple of major exceptions - though I like the Ghanaians, I thought the US were appalingly unlucky with that penalty call. And Graham Poll contriving to award that Croatian 3 yellow cards before dismissing him...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Advice from Wales - start being a rugby fan, Red.

MG

I am a rugby fan, and at the last Six Nation, Italy played some good matches, if only the rugby match would last only 40'... :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth! I really think Italy are getting there with the rugby. I genuinely look forward to the day they stuff England!

I mean that what lacks in our team is some self confidence, and some experience, we lost some matches because of stupid error of our defense line in the the second half. But I agree with you: we are growing.

I don't know who to support... I just admire skillful, smart, clean attacking. I am really enjoying the play of Germany. The win over Sweden was a joy to watch. The way Klose set up those two goals, and the way the germans kept moving forward with crisp passing and good runs off the ball... that's what I enjoy watching. Very little time-wasting, even when Sweden began to put together a few dangerous attacks, and little or no play acting, turning little bumps into mortal wounds (like some teams like to do).

I don't think there's a default choice for U.S. fans to root for, really. The melting pot contains so many fans from different backgrounds.

Regarding the officiating in terms of offside calls, I know there have been a few calls missed, but some of them have been very close to the point of becoming subjective. I'm extremely sensitive to these rulings, having had some absurd ones called against me when I was playing, and having seen too many absurd ones called in professional matches I've watched over the years (I mentioned it earlier in this thread... sometimes the refs miss these calls by 5 yards, and that infuriates me). Overall, I think this is perhaps the one area of officiating where they've done a more consistently good job.

Once again, in this morning's match, we see a player ejected unfairly (imo). I didn't think either of Lucic's yellows were deserved. Not that playing with 11 would have made much difference for Sweden. It wasn't going to be their day (poor Henrik Larsson -_- ).

I jotted this down last night (before the Germany win... you'll just have to trust me on that ;)):

Germany defeats Sweden

Argentina def Mexico

England def Ecuador

Holland def Portugal

Italy def Australia

Switzerland def Ukraine

Brazil def Ghana

Spain def France

Germany def Argentina (going out on a limb, perhaps, but I like Germany)

Italy def Switzerland

Holland def England

Brazil def Spain

Germany def Italy

Brazil def Holland

Brazil def Germany (yes, a repeat of '02)

I don't usually make these kinds of predictions, because I'm not good at it, but what the hell. There's no money involved. ^_^

Once again, in this morning's match, we see a player ejected unfairly (imo). I didn't think either of Lucic's yellows were deserved.

the second one was certainly deserved. Germany had just started a real fast attack and Lucic killed that off with this "tactic" foul. Those kind suck the most, because they really kill the game. Sweden has developed a bit of a habit of playing like this with loads of little fouls in the midfield, slowing down the game and playing on their forte of the fast counter attack.

Can't remember what the first yellow was for, but I had the impression the referee had shown the second before it dawned on him whom he was showing it. Still: yellow card offense = yellow card offense, whether it entails red or not.

Once again, in this morning's match, we see a player ejected unfairly (imo). I didn't think either of Lucic's yellows were deserved.

the second one was certainly deserved. Germany had just started a real fast attack and Lucic killed that off with this "tactic" foul. Those kind suck the most, because they really kill the game. Sweden has developed a bit of a habit of playing like this with loads of little fouls in the midfield, slowing down the game and playing on their forte of the fast counter attack.

Can't remember what the first yellow was for, but I had the impression the referee had shown the second before it dawned on him whom he was showing it. Still: yellow card offense = yellow card offense, whether it entails red or not.

I agree that these cynical fouls are incredibly annoying, but I think the German went down very easily.

Jim - I like your assessment a lot. The only ones I am not sure of are:

Portugal v Holland and France v Spain. But, I freely admit that if I had my head screwed on tighter, I should probably go along with you...I've just got that 'feeling' with these two.

The only other one, as you yourself recognise, is the Germany v Argentina. Whichever way it goes, it'll be a hell of a game.

Actually, Argentina v Mexico is shaping up to be pretty special at the moment (1 - 1 after about 10 minutes!).

I'm by no means a soccer expert, watching only during world championships, but the German team won my admiration, as they developped into a real team during the previous games. I see much less coordination in the Argentinian team, although they turn in some beautiful goals ..... like the one just scored. Buit only during prolongation! Poor Mexicans!

I think we have a new "Goal of the Cup"

You can't hit one any better than that! Rodriguez puts Arg up!

Yeah, great gol, it remember me the one scored by Marco Van Basten when Holland won the European Championship, but Mexico deserves honours of war, I would be proud if my team would loose such match.

Que Viva Mexico! :tup

Actually, with the US out, who will you guys support? Is there a 'natural' second team for US fans? England, even? Just curious!

I have lived in Spain and Brasil, so who do you think I'm supporting? :D

Ooh...dunno...that's hedging your bets. I'd take Brazil :cool: ! ;)

If I were a betting man, I'd take Brasil, but I'm rooting for Spain!

I jotted this down last night (before the Germany win... you'll just have to trust me on that ;)):

Germany defeats Sweden

Argentina def Mexico

England def Ecuador

Holland def Portugal

Italy def Australia

Switzerland def Ukraine

Brazil def Ghana

Spain def France

Germany def Argentina (going out on a limb, perhaps, but I like Germany)

Italy def Switzerland

Holland def England

Brazil def Spain

Germany def Italy

Brazil def Holland

Brazil def Germany (yes, a repeat of '02)

I don't usually make these kinds of predictions, because I'm not good at it, but what the hell. There's no money involved. ^_^

I see Brasil in the final but Spain will test them and who knows? However, I don't think Holland will beat England and I see Argentina in the final, beating Germany, with Argentina as the winner.

I agree that these cynical fouls are incredibly annoying, but I think the German went down very easily.

Too bad for Lucic that Graham Poll wasn't refereeing this match :lol:

I think we have a new "Goal of the Cup"

You can't hit one any better than that! Rodriguez puts Arg up!

Yeah, that one eclipsed the (in some respects similar) Joe Cole effort. I think that's the individual goal of the tournament, but in terms of beautiful football, surely the Argentina goal v Serbia and Montenegro is still top of the tree?

Some wonderful, wonderful strikes this tournament. :)

Edited by Red

Actually, with the US out, who will you guys support? Is there a 'natural' second team for US fans? England, even? Just curious!

I have lived in Spain and Brasil, so who do you think I'm supporting? :D

Ooh...dunno...that's hedging your bets. I'd take Brazil :cool: ! ;)

If I were a betting man, I'd take Brasil, but I'm rooting for Spain!

Brad, the only thing that worries me about Spain is their history in these tournaments.

[subtext: 'Brad, as a Chelsea supporter, the only thing that I dislike about Spain is the number of Liverpool players they field' ;) ]

That's the way I saw it (of course, I had the luxury of a slow motion replay, so I certainly can't pretend that I would be able to do a better job of refereeing). Lucic definitely put his hand on the german player's arm, I just don't think he actually grabbed and pulled enough to warrant a foul in this case). At any rate, I still doubt that Sweden were going to score (or win) with 11.

Mexico did North America proud today. What a great first half they played. I guess they ran out of energy, because they gradually stopped pressing in the midfield and "team tackling" the way they had done earlier. Argentina's depth proved to be too much. As the ESPN announcers said, wouldn't it be nice to have young talents like Tevez and Messi at your disposal to come off the bench? Wow. Anyway, if Mexico had won, I might have even adopted our concacaf arch-enemies for the rest of this tournament..................... :huh: ... well, on second thought, probably not. ^_^

I didn't mention it above, but I think Ecuador has a decent chance for an upset tomorrow. If they can establish possession and frustrate England's midfield, I don't see why not. Ecuador looked very good in their first two group matches, and then ran into a German buzzsaw (with key players out, iirc). I still picked England to win this one, due to their depth of individual talent, but I have some doubts about them playing as a team.

Portugal I'm still unsure about. Beating Angola and Iran was the right thing to do, but I guess I might have expected more impressive wins. They did beat Mexico, but I don't know that they have enough to get by Holland (who of course faced much stiffer competition in the first round, and I thought showed themselves to be pretty strong).

I agree that the Rodriguez goal was sweet. There have been some great ones in this tournament. I still can't erase that first one (Lahm's) from my mind. I love the kind of goals Argentina scored with a beautiful buildup, but there's also something about an incredible laser beam placed perfectly. For Lahm to do that right out of the WC gate was very memorable for me.