WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Germans! A well-deserved win.

This young team has a very bright future.

My favorite German player in this World Cup is Philip Lahm. He has all the potential to become one of the all-time greats.

Those were two beauties by Schweinstieger. Someone from Germany asked me if I would like Klinsman to be the US coach? I replied only if I could have some of the German players.

Congratulations to the German team too. I'm glad they beat those insufferable Portuguese.

Thanks to Klinsmann the Germans played much better in this World Cup than many people (including me) expected and they fully deserve their third place, but I'm not convinced that they have a very bright future, even less so should Klinsmann decide to leave.

This has been a fairly disappointing World Cup in my view. I can only hope the final will be worth watching, but I'm expecting a very tactical game which could be very boring. Let's hope I'm wrong...

Edited by J.A.W.

I frankly don't know who will win but I hope it's just a good match. Over on the BBC, Marcel Desailly said "I'm a bit disappointed about Italy. They don't really deserve to be in the World Cup final because they have shown only 45 minutes of good football, in the second half of their semi-final against Germany."

I'm not sure I really believe that but they did get a gift against Australia and Ukraine was one of the worst quarterfinalists. However, their defense has obviously shone so I have no idea who will be favored. If it's hot, France will need to score in the first half or early in the second to win because some of their players might run out of gas. Again, who knows? Let's just hope it's entertaining as I agree with Hans that this has not been the most entertaining Cup.

Over on the BBC, Marcel Desailly said "I'm a bit disappointed about Italy. They don't really deserve to be in the World Cup final because they have shown only 45 minutes of good football, in the second half of their semi-final against Germany."

I agree with Desailly, the Italians have only played good football in the semifinal against the Germans. I don't want to go into that again as a lot has already been said about it earlier in this thread, but their other games were, well, not so good.

Half time: France 1, Italy 1

A spectacular start with those two early goals, but that was it... Not a very good game so far, with lots of mistakes, especially by the French, who are way too static - like they were in their pre-Brazil games.

Edited by J.A.W.

Towards the end of time, Italians looked a bit disorganized in the back. France has been the better side in the second half but to no avail.

I agree. Italy were better in the first half, but France improved in the second half and had a slight advantage. Finishing was bad, however, as was the passing on both sides.

I still can't believe Zidane did a stupid thing like that... A headbutt... What was he thinking?? He must have completely lost his mind for a minute.

I am 100% sure that Matterazzi is a choirboy.

BTW and in the end: this was a real BORING WC so we get the best of it and decision by PKs. I bet the Italians will win. Somehow that would fit. Although just like the Italians, also the French only played two good halves during the entire tournament.

I still can't believe Zidane did a stupid thing like that... A headbutt... What was he thinking?? He must have completely lost his mind for a minute.

I am 100% sure that Matterazzi is a choirboy.

:g

No doubt! But that doesn't change the fact that Zidane's reaction was utterly stupid.

Edited by J.A.W.