WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zidane's headbutt may have cost them the title.

ah bullshit. who missed his PK? Who would have taken it even with Zidane still on the field? Correctamundo.

Next headline will be that these world champions please should not be relegated to the third league and then they will find some way to grant them all amnesty and next year they can all go out and buy referees again. heheheh.

They didn't deserve it but that's irrelevant. They're the Champions. Zidane's headbutt may have cost them the title.

Right! We are The CHAMPIONS, we lost at KP in US 1994 with Brasil, we gained this.

Tell me, who deserves it?

I don't need your answears

: the team who won.

That's it.

I still remember what the italian speaker of Spain 1982 cryed after the end of that match:

'CAMPIONI DEL MONDO,CAMPIONI DEL MONDO,CAMPIONI DEL MONDO!

All your snob comments are worthless.

'CAMPIONI DEL MONDO,CAMPIONI DEL MONDO,CAMPIONI DEL MONDO!

Although just like the Italians, also the French only played two good halves during the entire tournament.

I disagree. The French played very well against Spain, Brazil and Italy and certainly went through the tougher sides compared to Italy's draw.

Although just like the Italians, also the French only played two good halves during the entire tournament.

I disagree. The French played very well against Spain, Brazil and Italy and certainly went through the tougher sides compared to Italy's draw.

I'd take out Spain and then you're left with two good halves. So I can make it three if you really want me to.

I forgot: the party is starting right now:

PIZZA; MAFIA MANDOLINO and all your preferred commonplaces about iitalians.

What is your problem?? As far as I know no one mentioned any of those things, whereas your comments are rude and insulting.

Edited by J.A.W.

I said they didn't deserve it because France played much better over the whole game and you can't deny that. I'm not looking down on you or Italy just looking at who played better. However, as we all know just because you play better doesn't guarantee a win and that's what happened here.

As far as Zidane costing them the title, it's arguable but he would have been taking one of the penalties so who knows?

It's unfortunate, win or lose, that he went out that way. That headbutt will go down in World Cup lore and provoke unceasing debate as to whether France would have won or lost had he not done that.

Edited by Brad

What is your problem?? As far as I know no one mentioned any of those things, whereas your comments are rude and insulting.

Actually I haven't got any problems: some of your past comments about italians edged the trivials commonplaces about us: 'divers', 'catenaccio', 'typical italian playing', ecc..

The party goes on right on so who cares... :party::party::party::party:

Actually I haven't got any problems: some of your past comments about italians edged the trivials commonplaces about us: 'divers', 'catenaccio', 'typical italian playing', ecc..

You've got to be kidding me. That's what you're getting upset about. Sheez. If somebody had said derogatory about the Italian people, I could understand your feeling upset but not for those comments about how your countrymen play football.

You've got to be kidding me. That's what you're getting upset about. Sheez. If somebody had said derogatory about the Italian people, I could understand your feeling upset but not for those comments about how your countrymen play football.

Exactly my feelings... I think it's sad and would like to leave it at that.

Back to the match and the headbutt. This is what Domenech said, as reported in the BBC:

France coach Raymond Domenech said the referee should have given Zinedine Zidane more protection in the World Cup final defeat against Italy in Berlin.

Zidane was sent off in extra-time for a head-butt on Marco Materazzi before France went on to lose on penalties.

"Materrazzi is the man of the match, not Andrea Pirlo," said Domenech.

"When one has to put up with what Zidane had to and the referee doesn't do anything, one understands. You can't excuse it, but you can understand it."

I didn't catch the whole match, but I did see parts of each half, and I did see the PK shootout.

Congrats to the Azzurri! They happen to be my favorite team each WC (My Mom came from Italy), and it's nice to see them finally win a WC through PKs.

I didn't see the Zidane penalty. I had some errands to run....

Well, I was hoping for more (in terms of good play and a great finish), and I expected more. The first half was exciting (more attacking than I expected) but alas this finish was a big letdown. I didn't really care who won, but I hate PK finishes.

I'm going to disagree with the PK call for France. Yes, there was some contact on the play, but that was really more of a dive, the way I saw it. I can't blame a referee for calling something like that a foul, but the replay showed otherwise, I think. It's too important a gift (as was the Italian PK against Australia) to give in such an important match. I don't see how he could have been so sure as to award a PK in that situation. Anyway, a tough decision, no doubt. Also, look how things even out- the same player was fouled in the box later in the match, and no PK was given. I was less bothered by that non-call, as a result of how I felt about the awarded PK.

I'm with you guys regarding Zidane... a cheap shot like that... in a WC final??? :huh: Bizarre. Sad.

Congratulations to Italia. They did deserve to win, imo. Scored a legitimate goal in this match, and played great defense throughout the tournament. Not the prettiest WC in history (please erase those first-round referees from my memory... NOW), but so be it.

Edited by Jim R